Chris

Send us questions!

I would, but all I can think of right now are painfully dull "economic downturn vs. platform war and/or piracy" questions. :tmeh:

It's because I've just started watching Simon Schama's excellent repetitive and shite new series (it's also a book) about America.

Edited by Wrestlevania
After watching the second episode of 'The American Future', I should point out I was espousing dull, gaseous bollocks--much like Simon Schama. ¬_¬

Chris, why don't you tell us what you really think about digital rights management? :shifty:

(PS: any thoughts about TGS?)

Can we ask silly meaningless questions?

Tune into the next episode for the answer to this question!

I think you might need to clean your ears out--it certainly wasn't that noticable. :hah:

Remo definitely needs to sit a bit closer to the mic, though. Or turn himself up a bit more.

Yeah, we're going to try to keep improving the recording and audio quality. We're all new to this type of thing.

Having done a bit of transcription (which is an immense pain in the ass), I can say that stereo sound helps immensely. If you place different speakers in different "places", it's a lot easier to understand what's being said and who is saying it. That said, the sound quality was pretty good already and stereo will make the file bigger.

Yeah, the sound quality was quite good, especially for a first show (listen to the first episodes of some other gaming podcasts for comparative purposes, you'll see how bad the audio quality is in most of them *cough*RockPaperShotgun*cough*) but I agree Wrestlevania, you sounded like you were in another room.

The police sirens do add to the ambiance though.

Edited by n0wak

It sounded fine to me, other than the mug. It think it was the mug anyway. An occasional *donk* throughout the show as something was bumped on the table. Keep stuff off the table!

It sounded fine to me, other than the mug. It think it was the mug anyway. An occasional *donk* throughout the show as something was bumped on the table. Keep stuff off the table!

Yeah that came out much different in the recording than it sounded at the time. In retrospect that was an ill-advised move. We'll be more careful going forward.

*donk*s are unacceptable unless it's jake saying "video games" followed by a donk... please make that happen, it will please me so much

I would absolutely keep in the sirens. Could you also do an occasional swish where Batman zips past the window?

'Donk' - haha, that reminds me of these

I'd like to hear your views on the prevalence of 'Betas' these days? Has anyone noticed this? You get access to the 'Beta' if you pre-order the game, or if you're lucky enough to be hanging around one of the numerous game sites when the 'Beta' keys are distributed. Why can't they call them what they are - demos. Is it to make them sound more exclusive for those loyal consumers who have pre-ordered the game? They come out often a week to two weeks before the game comes out in the shops (i.e. it's already gone gold and been pressed), so there's no bug fixing going on there!

Thanks, that's probably the most hateful, cynical piece of shit I've had the misfortune of stumbling into for quite some time. :(

I'd like to hear your views on the prevalence of 'Betas' these days? Has anyone noticed this? You get access to the 'Beta' if you pre-order the game, or if you're lucky enough to be hanging around one of the numerous game sites when the 'Beta' keys are distributed. Why can't they call them what they are - demos. Is it to make them sound more exclusive for those loyal consumers who have pre-ordered the game? They come out often a week to two weeks before the game comes out in the shops (i.e. it's already gone gold and been pressed), so there's no bug fixing going on there!

One word: hype.

Getting into a beta is like an alliusion to some elitist, hardcore club. And what self-respecting gamer doesn't want to be in right at the beginning? Coupled with the effective psychological smokescreen effect this creates - "I'm in the beta and it's fucking brilliant! (Actually, it's balls, but I'm not telling those that didn't get in that. The morons.)" - works much more effectively, sales-wise, than a straight up traditional demo.

It also means you get two stabs at the hype machine; one for the beta, then a follow-up with a demo (if you wish to). Or you can jump straight to release, hopefully with a decent fog of slavering praise from the 1337 'fortunate' enough to get in and try it early.

Taking my cynical hat, cape, gloves, boots, socks, underpants and jockstrap all off for a moment, a beta can also be a really consciencious way for developers who care about their game to make it better. Run well, a beta can also dump a respectable chunk of annoying bugs from titles before they're foisted on the unsuspecting buying public. Games have been shipping with bugs - sometimes crippling ones - for years and years now, so having a beta is a way of positively mitigating this while also building fandom.

Right, Captain Cynical suit back on!

What are you on about? It's funny as. They're talentless idiots making junk, thinking they are the don.

"Hold on, it's missing a hookline...BASELINE!" :mock:

going to agree with Wrestlevania on that one.

:spiraldy:

Sorry, I think you might have got the wrong of the stick. It is crap. You didn't find it in the least bit amusing? Pigeon chesting around like he was an MC that mattered? His studio mate who was some making noises out of a mixing desk connected to a sub with a telephone attachment?

Sorry for going OT.

It's also possible that the public beta doesn't test the game so much as the network infrastructure. Too many multiplayer titles have shipped in the past and then had their servers overloaded to the point of breaking on the first day of release. Public beta catches those kinds of problems where an in-house beta cannot.

Edited by DanJW

Haha, it was amusing, I'll give you that.

Are you familiar with