Roderick

VIDEO GAMES

I AM SO CONFUSED.

Holy crap on a very large stick, what the chuff is going on?!

If that "chuff" thing is a reference to 1up podcasts I want to punch you. :deranged:

Holy crap! He lives!

Also, thank you Rodi for pointing that "begs the question" thing out. As a philosophy major, I have to use it in its proper form all the time and have had it drilled into my head for years that question begging is a real fallacy and not the literal meaning of the words. I always get irritated when I hear it thrown around as it is.

If that "chuff" thing is a reference to 1up podcasts I want to punch you. :deranged:

No, it certainly bloody is not.

"Chuff" is uncommon British slang for ass/arse. "Chuffed," however, means you're really pleased with something.

Anyway, nevermind all that: yay, Remo!

It can also be used by girfriend's parents as a replacement for fuck.

[Northern]"What the Chooffin' 'ell's goin' on?"[/northern]

Much better now.

Although, I expected something more.

Edit: Just fine, thank you for asking. How about you?

Can't wait to see what's next.

Idle Thumbs: Catering to the same group of people for over three years now

I'm betting they're teaming up with Steam to provide a VAC unbanning service. It'll be all web 2.0, with a beta sticker on the logo, blogs about banning, links to flickr images and a podcast with key persons in the banning/unbanning industry, and under every little thing there will be an array of buttons for "sharing" it on various social web sites.

What's probably the last update just went up folks. If you have any affection for this weird-ass splash page, get your looks in now before it goes away forever.

What's probably the last update just went up folks. If you have any affection for this weird-ass splash page, get your looks in now before it goes away forever.

Hey, um, you might want to put an index file in that directory. I'm getting a directory listing and a bit more than a "preview" of everything :shifty:

Hey, um, you might want to put an index file in that directory. I'm getting a directory listing and a bit more than a "preview" of everything :mock:

I have no idea what you're talking about

ist2_746781_female_student.jpg

Stock photo student approved!! :tup::tup:

Yes, I managed to hear it in that one moment of open directory listing. I'M SAYING NOTHING THOUGH. I'm on self-imposed embargo.

:shifty:

"Hi there. Just a quick reminder that this [podcast] does not include a game disc or game cartridge..."

Let the games begin... :tup:

Edited by Wrestlevania
Badly hand-crufted BBCode, through the miracle of predictive text. ¬_¬

Don't you know about the bird?

Everyone's talking about the bird.

That begs the question why the word 'talkies' didn't supplant 'movies', as that was the newer technology. I guess it's just one of those memes that succumbed to a stronger linguistic thought. It's quite fascinating how language evolves sometimes!

I would guess it was because "Talkies" were a TYPE of "Movie". Back when there were still silent pictures there was a need to distinguish the new ones with sound. When sound (which was described at the time as being nothing but a "fad") took over, there was no need to distinguish them from regular movies anymore.

It is indeed interesting to see how language evolves. Notice for instance that your use of 'begs the question' is 100% wrong. It's not a synonym for 'raises the question' at all, though it's used as such most of the time. There will be a time when its wrongful use is accepted throughout, though that's no reason not to resist it at this point.

I quite agree!

I have to ask... what's the "proper" use of the phrase "begging the question" then?

DUDE: "This is true, because it is!"

FELLA: "That's begging the question!"

?

It's when an argument for a statement presupposes the truth of the statement. 'God exists, because the bible says so, and that is the word of God'.

But it is a tricky one. The site I linked to earlier gives this as an ingenious example: "If such actions were not illegal, then they would not be prohibited by the law." But of course, the only reason they're classified as illegal is because of the law, so it's a circular, phony argument.

[EDIT] Oh wait, I misunderstood your post. You were wondering how to use the term in conversation, not a clarification on what it meant. 'That's begging the question' will do fine =)

It's when an argument for a statement presupposes the truth of the statement. 'God exists, because the bible says so, and that is the word of God'.

But it is a tricky one. The site I linked to earlier gives this as an ingenious example: "If such actions were not illegal, then they would not be prohibited by the law." But of course, the only reason they're classified as illegal is because of the law, so it's a circular, phony argument.

not really the same

The first one is: A -> B -> A, actually, A <-> B (see first order logic)

Which can not be solved

The second one: A = B

"illegal" is by definition "prohibited by law"

Sharply observed. What would the A/B formula for begging the question be then? It is besically saying 'A is true, because A is true', or rather, 'A is true, because B is true (but B is actually A)'.

This is goddamn tricky.