Roderick

VIDEO GAMES

I usually go with "interactive entertainment" just so I can sound extra pretentious...

Although I might be veering off-topic a little, it's quite an interesting question, as I was thinking the other day about the terms, 'Motion Pictures' and 'Movies', both of which are obviously antiquated terms back from the turn of the century when it was new technology.

They are probably not going to change any time soon, as they are ingrained into the psyche.

Back OT, for the record, I generally refer to them as 'Computer games'.

Edited by Norfolk'n'Clue

Jesus Christ in a blender, I just realised the term "movies" stems from the word "move".

factoid : When they added proper sound they were called Talkies for a short while, until everyone rightly decided it was a rubbish name.

I've always called them films by preference, but that is now becoming an antiquated term too with digital video cameras being used more.

Jesus Christ in a blender, I just realised the term "movies" stems from the word "move".

Quite! I think if I'm honest, I really only became 'concious' of it when I was thinking about it the other day - somewhat romantically I cast my mind back to when they were a new form of entertainment, and folk would be colloquially referring to the 'movies' because of the fascination with a moving image.

That begs the question why the word 'talkies' didn't supplant 'movies', as that was the newer technology. I guess it's just one of those memes that succumbed to a stronger linguistic thought. It's quite fascinating how language evolves sometimes!

Edited by Norfolk'n'Clue

factoid : When they added proper sound they were called Talkies for a short while, until everyone rightly decided it was a rubbish name.

Heh! D'you think it was that simple? (see my post above).

That begs the question why the word 'talkies' didn't supplant 'movies', as that was the newer technology. I guess it's just one of those memes that succumbed to a stronger linguistic thought. It's quite fascinating how language evolves sometimes!

It is indeed interesting to see how language evolves. Notice for instance that your use of 'begs the question' is 100% wrong. It's not a synonym for 'raises the question' at all, though it's used as such most of the time. There will be a time when its wrongful use is accepted throughout, though that's no reason not to resist it at this point.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/begging-the-question.html

Also, though the ways this topic is winding is very interesting and fun, I have to wonder when its true purpose will come to the fore. Let's hope soon! =)

Now that's really interesting! My wrongful use comes from hearing the phrase and directly breaking down the meanings of each word. I guess this is an example of the whole being greater than the sum of it's parts, albeit in grammatical form.

I only learned a while back too. It's easy to fall into the trap! That's why I usually point it out when people do it wrong in a non-deriding way. It's just so easy to get wrong, and everyone's doing it! ^_^

video gameS is one word. :shifty:

:tup: times one billion.

/disgusting self-promotion (though quite what I've actually got to promote is up for debate...)

Anyway, getting back on-topic: I think they're not bad, meself.

Holy shit, I just saw the front page (via a terse post on a too seldomly updated blog) -- what in the shit is going on?!

Me too. How did we never realise this before? :hmph:

Holy crap on a very large stick, what the chuff is going on?!

Wait, is this the first signs of the much-badgered, post-NCsoft-accidentally-half-the-company-so-go-make-games-yourselves idea, possibly..?

Reading the page source unearths this polite nugget of information;

"Nail your penis to the wall"

:finger:

Is something happening? I'm scared..

The audio clip is nice though.

tsk

not even a hidden message in any of the images, disappointing