hermes

Brütal Legend without publisher !!

While I'm inclined to believe that's sarcasm (Has a single internet petition ever had any effect?), it's redundant anyway because 50 Cent is in the same predicament as Brutal Legend — a game that arguably has a higher budget and retail potential.

So, is Brütal Legend alright or not?

Do they retain the IP because Blackley manage to pull out this feat in the original publishing deal or is it because of a weird-ality in the contract like kotaku (yeah, I know, not the bet source) mentioned ?

As per this thread, the most recent word seems to be a message from Tim Schafer saying "Brutal Legend is fine" when you hover your cursor over a particular photo in Double Fine's blog.

"I have seen it," says Riccitiello. "I am well aware of what the game is. It’s a very significant creative risk."

Yikes, I can't help but feeling if this happens, we may have another Oddworld Stranger on our hands.

Even though Riccitiello has gone up a fair few notches in my view, he's talking baloney here. Brütal Legend isn't a "creative risk". It's a "financial risk". But it sounds way better if you call it a "creative risk", because then you make it seem like you're focussing on the artistic side of things.

Anyway, the game is still something that could really make some money with the correct marketing force behind it. All the planets are aligned and all that; there's celebs backing it, heavy metal has never been more popular in the scene... the wait is for a publisher who's got the stones to take this on and prove that Schafer can make a commercially successful game. I do fear for his reputation if BL is another failure in sales =(

Even though Riccitiello has gone up a fair few notches in my view, he's talking baloney here. Brütal Legend isn't a "creative risk". It's a "financial risk". But it sounds way better if you call it a "creative risk", because then you make it seem like you're focussing on the artistic side of things.

Well spotted :yep:

But... has it officially been announced that BL was dropped by Activision? Last I heard they had been omitted from the list of games that were definately still 'in' but were not stated as 'out'.

I mean, that article made it sound like they asked him 'If BL were available, would you consider publishing it?'

I had the impression that it is pretty clear they are not going to be releasing it. Can't find a quote to confirm it though and I might be completely wrong as well.

I mean, that article made it sound like they asked him 'If BL were available, would you consider publishing it?'

It's definitely been dropped by Activision, however, if DF makes it available for EA, would EA consider publishing it? Just because it's without a publisher doesn't mean that it's available to any company with a publishing agreement.