Cigol

WipEout HD

Although that "Beat Zico" trophy... :frusty::frusty:

Yep, my best time was 0.01 second off of getting the trophy. No shit. I nearly cried and haven't played it for almost a month since. :hmph:

After careful consideration and completing thousands of zones, and regardless of what else you may think of other elements of the game, i've come to the conclusion that Zone Mode in Wipeout HD is the best thing to happen to gaming since Rez HD.

Not sure if I'd rate it that highly, but it is definitely one of the coolest parts of the game. I really want to go give it a run now that you've brought it up...

The Zone Mode is definitely the best part of the game for me, mostly because it is audiovisually so well done. I can't remember any other (fairly recent) game that has had as big an effect on me on the first try as the Zone Mode in Wipeout HD. The speed class transitions are especially neat.

Constantly bumping into walls on higher speeds somewhat breaks the flow, however. But then again, that's entirely my fault.

Zone mode is indeed a visceral treat. Apparently it looked even better and more mental before, but they had to reduce the craziness because of epilepsy issues. ;(

I don't find it that fun though because I'm so wank at it and end up crashing constantly. :(

HOLY BASTARD JESUS GOD TITTYFUCKING SHIT! :tup::tup::tup:

I think I came while I was playing this tonight, but I was too busy gawping at the screen and steering to properly notice.

Seriously though, some major, er, "flashbacks" going on while playing this ¬¬

This is the best £14 I've spent in years :tup:

I'm noticing certain tracks seem to come into their own at certain speeds; on the lowest two I thought Veneta K was a bit :tmeh:, but doing time trials on Rapier it suddenly had a definite flow (0.36 sec from gold... nnnng!). Perfect laps on it are beautiful at that speed, especially when you can use a speed up to nail a barrel roll along the home straight. Likewise Ubermall, it becomes a lot more interesting at higher speeds and has a hump that you can do a double barrel roll on.

What ships did you all settle on when playing through this? I went AG then Assegai, and now really like the Icarus but am just a little too error prone to manage with the lower thrust.

I had just about half of everything unlocked and gold medaled, then I got greedy and tried to use a savegame from gamefaqs.

I've lost all my progress, and have no urge to continue.

I don't really have time to grind out the levels, weird that this game unlike so many others doesn't let you copy a save to unlock stuff.

I want to casually enjoy the game and not care so much about it.

Enjoyed what I played though. Zone mode especially was great.

There was an update the other day introducing novice and skilled levels for everything in campaign mode, which makes it a lot easier.

I can't win races against elite AI yet, but I'm making myself do all the time trials, speed laps, zones etc. on elite difficulty so as to learn the tracks as well as possible, then completing the races on skilled. With only the last three sets of events to go, it's already getting to the point where I can manage some of the new time trials on the first go.

There was an update the other day introducing novice and skilled levels for everything in campaign mode, which makes it a lot easier.

I can't win races against elite AI yet, but I'm making myself do all the time trials, speed laps, zones etc. on elite difficulty so as to learn the tracks as well as possible, then completing the races on skilled. With only the last three sets of events to go, it's already getting to the point where I can manage some of the new time trials on the first go.

I just want to say thank you for letting me know about the update. I played a bunch last night and got gold in everything. Its very easy on novice compared to what it used to be (where I would have to play 20x to get a gold).

I'm not worried about achievements as much as simply unlocking everything in the game, so this update makes my day. Thank you so much, again.

I think I got it. I bought an AV receiver as well as four decent speakers and after hooking them up tested them with this game. Holy shit did it blew me away (ign.com)! The whole game felt entirely different. Much more intense.

I'm also glad they added the difficulty setting, although I got quite far before that as well.

After a while of playing I started to suspect that everything would be awesome now that I have decent surround sound, so I rented Indiana Jones 4. It was not.

A non-gaming friend came around a few nights ago and asked me to show him some games. He was completely stunned by this and GTA IV, and like me spent a few minutes with his mouth open just watching ships fly around Sol 2 after a race.

One of the nice things about the sound effects is how they manipulate them on the fly. Like when an explosion goes off or you enter a walled up area. It also works with your custom soundtrack. I don't think it's anything fancy (?), but it's a welcome flourish all the same.

@Nachimir; you should have shown him PixelJunk Eden in 1080p with the bass turned up :clap:

I just got this the other day and I really like it, but I'm still not any good at it. The last Wipeout I played was Pure on PSP, and after dozens of hours of perfecting technique I finally got the hang of it and started owning in the TTs.

That was two years ago, looks like I've lost it again :shifty:

Man, you should see some of the vids on the wipeout forum - a lot of people seem to be able to get to zone 50-odd with ease, and I think one chap as posted a vid of zone up to around 120 - although it stops getting faster around 80 or so. Still, it beggars belief. I can just about manage 25 :/

But then there will always be folk better than me at any game.

Zone mode was the easiest one for me at least on the initial difficulty setting. Still, never got further than zen.

The trophies are encouraging though:

Bronze: Get 20 consecutive perfect zones in a single Zone Mode event.

Silver: Reach Zone 50 (Subsonic) in Zone Mode on any track using only airbrakes and sideshift. Motion sensor controls must be turned off.

Gold: In Zone Mode, reach Zone 75 on any track.

Thanks for reminding me about Zone mode. I went and played some and it seems I'm now able to string together enough good corners to actually finish a race now :tup: