Spaff

Little BIG Planet

I can't wait for someone to edit out the "this is not real" bit and then post it excitedly on another gaming forum.

I played this today, and lo! it jumped to the top of my list. I'm going to finish Resident Evil 4, really, but I have to get this game right away. Jesus Fucking Christ.

Bought it today, and it's awesome. Some questions:

• Can you do a multiplayer game with two guys on each machine?
  • I see there's some voice chat thing, but is this often used? Do I have to buy an expensive Bluetooth device to be respected in LBP?
  • Jesus Christ, this game is pretty.

I bought this a while ago on amazon.co.uk. I was pretty surprised when I noticed that the narration was in Finnish. Even more so when I found out that I wasn't able to change the language. Luckily the translation is actually very good.

Anyway, this game is really awesome. It is also the first game I have been able to play with my sister since Twilight Princess and Super Mario Galaxy. Before this she used to think Playstation was all about "stupid action, sports and racing games". It didn't help that the couple of games I had back then were actually either action, sports or racing games...

Also, those sackboy mock-ups are stunning! Whoever made those did an excellent job.

You've been Kotaku'd :tup:

I see there's some voice chat thing, but is this often used? Do I have to buy an expensive Bluetooth device to be respected in LBP?

I've had one person in all my time online use voice chat, and he was off my friends list. There's no indicator as to who is actually speaking either, so it could get messy with more than one little sackperson. They should have used pop-ups like with the text-chat.

Holy shit, I'm playing through the story and keep getting impressed by what they're doing with this engine. I've never seen anything like this.

Bought it today, and it's awesome. Some questions:

Can you do a multiplayer game with two guys on each machine?

OK, seriously, time to start a Little Big Thumb Fest now. There's still a bunch of 4x player items I need to get anyway :shifty:

Dear Idle Thumbs,

I have all these awesome level ideas for LBP, but when I open the the level editor and this huge blank space is staring back at me, I always end up making a squiggle attached to a burning box, and then I exit.

What should I do?

Sincerely,

Toeblix

So, what's the proper way of doing this LBP multiplayer thing? I see some of you are online at times, but I don't dare do anything in fear or interrupting you and breaking shit. How do these things usually take place?

I had the same level creativity problem at first, and decided to think of awesome themes and concepts rather than specific levels and gameplay. For example my first (and favourite) is an abandoned mine in the middle of the jungle, with you starting above ground and going deeper and deeper. I seem to find it easier if I let myself be guided by a cool idea/backstory.

I'm actually really proud of it because I got the lighting and such working quite well, with inspiration taken from the mine levels in Donkey Kong Country. Unfortunately it is now part of my new problem, which is having five awesome ideas I haven't yet got time to finish. :~

Does anyone know if there is a way to export in-game photographs and email them or get them off the PS3 some other way?

After taking the photo, go to the stickers menu, locate the photo there, press square and select 'copy to HDD' or something similar.

Not sure why the image is this small though:

littlebigshuttle.jpg

I started fiddling with the editor today and managed to create a space shuttle that can be controlled and usually lands correctly. I'm sure most users have done this as well. The editor is very impressive and surprisingly flexible.

By the way, is there a list of all the levers, buttons, etc. that can be obtained? Or do you get all of those just by passing the tutorial levels? Also, is there a way to "invert" signals? Like make one thing turn on and another thing turn of when you pull a lever and the other way around when you push it.

Block something, anything out at a decent scale. Even just something to jump around on, then start tweaking, cleaning and revising it.

That's not a very good way to do level design in general, but it sure gets you over the hump of having a scary blank space in front of you. Anything you imagine and think is awesome probably has you imagining some parts right down to tiny details; just block the entire thing out quickly like a sketch and that will always imply the/a next thing to work on.

You should definitely do all the tutorials if you haven't as it's the only way to access many of the materials and whatnot. It's a bit of a pain as there're so many, but they did the best they could have really when it comes to getting across so much information (in a way that even kids can just about grasp).

It's awesome that the even have Stephen Fry commenting stuff like gluing, wobble bolts, etc.

edit:

One thing that annoys me is that I haven't gotten the Expert Builder trophy, or whatever it's called, for doing every tutorial. I'm quite sure I've done them all, but is there a way to see which ones I could be missing?

Some of the objects that weren't discussed in the initial chunk of tutorials (for example, different kinds of levers) have tutorials also. To access them, just go to the tools menu and select one of those marked with a question mark.

You might have to press square to get the extra options including tutorial (you may have skipped it the first time by accident).

Anything you imagine and think is awesome probably [...]

...has already been created by another LBP user. I thought I finally had some nifty ideas only to end up playing them by chance one day. I could have cried. ;(

So, what's the proper way of doing this LBP multiplayer thing? I see some of you are online at times, but I don't dare do anything in fear or interrupting you and breaking shit. How do these things usually take place?

just interrupt :)

I finally got a chance to try out the demo at a store kiosk. It's ace. Looking forward to when the PS3 library and price hits a critical mass for me. :tup::tup:

I really want to get this - really really - but I have to know: does the fact that I have a lack of internet when it comes to my PS3 mean that a. I won't enjoy the game, b. won't enjoy the game as much, or c. totally not experience the game fully and should go weep - weep for heartbreak, and sorrow, and everything that is EVIL and STUPID and WRONG in this world -right now?

That depends. The single player part of the game is awesome. I played through the whole story on my own, and it's just an ejaculation of joy, color and song all over your face. Playing with other people is exponentially more awesome, especially when they're in the room with you. The collection aspect is geared towards creating your own levels, which may not seem that interesting if you're unable to share them. I dunno. I'd go with B) to c), but the real question is -- why can't you get your PS3 on the net?