Sign in to follow this  
Jayel

DOOM 3 GOLD!!!

Update on the theme song creator. First we have this:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/451/451076p1.html

Sources who know what they're talking about tell us that the progressive metal band Tool is doing an original song for Doom 3. We'd love to bring you more details on this but the fear that some sort of demonic beast will spurt forth from our stereos, turn off all the lights and start eating away at our tummies prompts us to avoid talking about this any further. We'll bring you more information once we get rid of our stereo.

Then we have this:

http://www.shacknews.com/ja.zz?id=8162045

Chris Vrenna and co. were responsible for creating the theme music for DOOM 3, and made contributions to the soundscape of the game.

-Xian

Xian is the shacknews username of Christian Antkow (an id employee)

Soo... hm... perhaps Tool performed the song, and Chris Vrenna produced it? Don't know, but it sure has a Tool-sound... not sure what to believe anymore :P

Guest James

it'll sound the same. tool would be an obvious improvement though.

Guest James

yknow who should do it - SPINAL TAP! :hah:

Well after playing Doom 3 for about 10 hours, I must say its much better than I though it would be gameplay-wise. Its got a real system-shock 2 vibe, from the voice and video logs to the sound design. The graphics are obviously amazing, and I expected as much from the beta and screenshots.

What really suprised me though is how well it ran on my computer. If you're afraid of buying (or downloading the massive file) because of your computer, you should probably risk it. Even if you run on the low 640x480 settings, it is miles ahead of any game I've played graphically. Its the best FPS since half-life, try it out.

Well after playing Doom 3 for about 10 hours, I must say its much better than I though it would be gameplay-wise. Its got a real system-shock 2 vibe, from the voice and video logs to the sound design. The graphics are obviously amazing, and I expected as much from the beta and screenshots.

What really suprised me though is how well it ran on my computer. If you're afraid of buying (or downloading the massive file) because of your computer, you should probably risk it. Even if you run on the low 640x480 settings, it is miles ahead of any game I've played graphically. Its the best FPS since half-life, try it out.

Your words make me very afraid since it is your words we're talking about.

I've not played it yet. One thought I had was that the original Doom games had corridors, but also massive open areas where you were taking on tons of monsters at once. I haven't seen much of that in the few trailers/videos I've seen, just the tense dark corridor stuff. I hope Doom 3 has the insane amounts of monsters as well as the scary aspect, which people are saying is really well-done.

Also, I am impressed id have finally done a game with some attempt at story. With the Quake games I felt like they were introducing great new technology to open up new frontiers for other developers, but they missed opportunities for storytelling in FPSs that other people were seeing. The trailer promises some decent cut-scene cinematic-type stuff, and I hear the scripted in-level monster introductions and set-pieces are ultra-fantastic.

That said, my hunch is that Half-Life 2 will do the story kinda stuff better and kick major ass in other ways too. We'll see.

I've not played it yet. One thought I had was that the original Doom games had corridors, but also massive open areas where you were taking on tons of monsters at once. I haven't seen much of that in the few trailers/videos I've seen, just the tense dark corridor stuff. I hope Doom 3 has the insane amounts of monsters as well as the scary aspect, which people are saying is really well-done.

I doubt it, Simon. The concept behind Doom3 is more to intimate the experience, deviate from the original Doom's arcade-y feel and truly remake the whole thing into a dramatically personal horror gauntlet. Thus the tension this time comes not from seeing how many beasties you kill, but from not exactly knowing what's around that dark corner, will you survive the terror? Therein lies the seductive appeal this time around.

Your words make me very afraid since it is your words we're talking about.
:erm: ...I don't understand.

Anyway, Hl2 may very well be better, but its not out yet so no one knows. And while Doom 3 does consist mostly of corridors you shouldn't be too worried about a lack of action. Even one imp in Doom 3 is more tense and frantic than the monster filled rooms of doom 1 or 2. And there are occasions where 6 or 7 assorted monsters attack you from all sides in a fairly large room....but its not ridiculous like the BFG levels in Doom 2 (atleast not yet).

IH is absolutely right. The atmosphere is everything in Doom 3. You will peeking around every corner with your flashlight, not running through the levels as quickly as possible to the exit door. Its more like System Shock 2 than Doom in its pacing, but is a much better game because of it.

Well, that's a cool way to remake the whole Doom concept I guess. Part of me yearns for the manic, arcadey trigger-happiness of the old games but I'm liking what I hear about all these scary scripted encounters and the generally dark and terrifying feel of the game. I think I might get it, as I haven't played a good scary game in ages. I'm upgrading on a budget soon (not specifically for this game) so it depends if it stretches to a PC that's going to be able to play it properly.

Basically most PCs on the market now would be able to play it, even the sloppy GeForce 4 MX could play this game. But if you're looking into a specific video card, an ATI Radeon 9600Pro would easily have you covered on Doom 3 (on medium settings) and Half-Life 2 (on high settings), and you can get one for around $90, maybe less if you find a deal or are willing to buy one used. The idea that only a $400 behemoth video card can play newer games is a complete load of shit. The differences in quality in Doom 3 from med to high and high to ultra are hardly discernable, even in side by side comparisons...so any DX9 videocard will be good enough.

I suggest waiting for the demo to be released. That way you can give it a test run on your system to see where your technical sweet spot lies. But from what we know essentially, the game experience relies very heavily on dynamic lights and shadows and physics, ultimately more than bumpmapping and other less critical contributors. I would consider those lesser features as icing, not the guts and blood, in my final enjoyment of the game.

Heh, because I don't have the game yet, I can't be 100% sure, but I've got my hands on couple of reliable tweaking stuff.

It doesn't matter "that much" what graphics card one has (at least GF4Ti4200->), what matters more is how much RAM you have in your machine.

Like I got GF4Ti4200 with 128 MB and 1024 MB RAM.

That *should* do the trick.

Oh man, awesome. I'm going to illegally download that game right now.

...damnit!

Don't you dare! If Kingz finds out he'll have an orgasm and it'll be your fault.

Fuck you both.

Basically most PCs on the market now would be able to play it, even the sloppy GeForce 4 MX could play this game. QUOTE]

you can get 30fps with this card... IN THE ELEVATOR. ¬

dont even bother trying.

I'm getting much higher framerate on my shoddy Radeon 9000 than on my Radeon 9600 Pro.

Even at the lowest detail. at 640x480. with all special effects turned off. even with the latest beta drivers. and the latest chipset drivers for my motherboard.

MADDENING!!!