toblix

Tomb Raider: Underworld

I just caught myself considering getting this for the Xbox and not the PC. Can anyone who played Legend and/or Anniversary comment on how the aiming is on the consoles? Is there auto-aiming or what?

I played Legend and I think there was auto-aiming. Wasn't anything special, though. Very average... as I think all Tomb Raider outings have been since the first two(?).

I'm pretty sure Tomb Raider Legend and Anniversary used the same engine, and I do remember them having auto aiming, do any of the Tomb Raider games have non-automatic aiming in them? :erm:

That was what I was hoping. I've only ever played Tomb Raider on the PC with manual aiming.

Very average... as I think all Tomb Raider outings have been since the first two(?).
Haven't they all been average? From the little I've played, it seems like the only attractive thing about the games are tits and guns.

I think the last two have been great. Nothing extraordinary, but very consistently fun. I especially like the mansion levels.

The first Tomb Raider was the subject of such immense juvenile behaviour in the 90s that it kind of blew all the credibility the series had for me. I never played it. The baggage it had was just too unattractive for me to invest in it.

Yeah, I never really played any of the Tomb Raider games until someone here said Legend was unexpectedly awesome. And it was. Anniversary, too, though not to to same extent. Hopefully Underworld will be awesomer than both.

Legend was the first Tomb Raider game developed by Crystal Dynamics, instead of Core Design, and the difference showed. I got it as a lesser-of-two-evils bundle game with my 360, and I completed it, which I can't say for many games these days. I suppose it was competently designed and constructed, but somewhat forgettable.

TR Legend was surprisingly good. I haven't played the original series or Anniversary, but I'll probably get Underworld. Legend, in its best moments, reminded me of Prince of Persia. As mentioned above, the exploring the mansion level was particularly fun.

The gunplay and plot are kind of boring. I wish they'd stick to platforming and puzzling.

Legend was good but I wish they'd completely give up on the shooting part : what was really fun in Legend was the environnemental puzzle, the acrobatics ad the risky exploration ... not killing people Chow Yun Fat style.

Edit :I agree with Lobotomy

Probably wasn't appropriate to ask it in that other thread, so I'll repeat it here: what happened to Crystal Dynamics developing the Tomb Raider franchise?

Did they really stuff up Legends and Anniversary to such a degree as to have EA Eidos immediately take it off them again? I'm confused.

Edited by Wrestlevania
"Wrong publisher, spit-head!"

Probably wasn't appropriate to ask it in that other thread, so I'll repeat it here: what happened to Crystal Dynamics developing the Tomb Raider franchise?

Did they really stuff up Legends and Anniversary to such a degree as to have EA immediately take it off them again? I'm confused.

Now I'm confused. Crystal Dynamics claim that they are developing the game, and the rights to Tomb Raider are held by Eidos, not EA. Eidos also owns Crystal Dynamics.

The first Tomb Raider was the subject of such immense juvenile behaviour in the 90s that it kind of blew all the credibility the series had for me. I never played it. The baggage it had was just too unattractive for me to invest in it.

It's a shame because the first game (not even sure about the second) was actually really good. I'm sure it's dated now, but the level design and gameplay was excellent... AND Lara Croft had perfectly normal sized breasts.

Now I'm confused. Crystal Dynamics claim that they are developing the game, and the rights to Tomb Raider are held by Eidos, not EA. Eidos also owns Crystal Dynamics.

You're right; updated my post. Sorry. ;(

To say something positive today...

The first Tomb Raider was great, it evoked a feeling of Indiana Jones with a touch of utter isolation. The series went downhill from ther ebut Legend and Anniversary were both fantastic returns to form. It was like Crystal Dynamics managed to find what was good about the Blood Omen/Soul reaver gameplay and put it into a Tomb Raider context.

As long as they learn to avoid pointless driving sequences and stick to the epic feel of climbing up mountain faces and abandoned ruins, I'll happily sign up for another round.

Just played the demo for five minutes, just to get a feel for how the controls were, and how it looked. It looked great and controlled like a motherfucker. The moves are really precise and everything feels much snappier and immediate than in the previous games. I'm getting this no matter what.

Also, it seems like after Assassin's Creed, all games in the world now have the character dynamically adjusting arms and legs when climbing.

I played the demo and so far it seems like a better looking TR: L which I loved!

But she did seem to look funny.... was she covered in dirt or something? Because she couldn't have been wet for that long!

Yeah, I noticed she got covered in filth. I guess it's from swimming in the ocean and then climbing in bushes and on cliffs. I'm a huge fan of people being affected like that by stuff that happens to them. It's like dents and scrapes on a car, only with meat, hair and clothes.

A tiny voice keeps telling me that it looks like the wrong kind of grime, it looks like she's covered in dust or soot when she should be covered in mud...

EG have had some positive things to say about this. I think I'm going to get it - it will be the first for me since TR1. Also the first 360 game I have bought since CoD4.

I can't wait to play it, but I'm a bit worried after hearing about a bug that's so bad you have to restart the game to get past it. I couldn't find any more info about it, so I'm sort of waiting for a patch, or at least me finding out how to make sure I'm not getting affected.

I've bought it on steam and am currently enjoying it. I think EG is pretty spot on with their review. Lara looks better than ever and yes she actually gets dirty. Which is pretty cool.

Toblix there are a couple Class As in there. For example if you pick up this pole required for solving a puzzle then do any kind of crouching the pole is dropped and cannot be picked up again (my friends and I found it in the demo) and requires you to restart the from he last checkpoint.