Sign in to follow this  
Marek

Lame

soooooo NCsoft is downsizing massively today. Me and my team and all of dev in europe affected. Spaff and Rusalka aldo made redundant. It's weak

Im looking at new opportunities already but it sucks because I really cared about my work at nc. Oh yeah nci in America has also been axed apparently

Edited by Spaff

So much lameness :tdown::frusty:

But if you have an entire team made redundant at the same time, now is the perfect opportunity to start up Idle Thumbs Games.

I'm not even joking. Start hitting up banks for new business loans.

I'm not even joking. Start hitting up banks for new business loans.

Yeah cause the current economic climate is perfect for that ;)

NCSoft really dropped the ball on this, the giant medicine ball, and they dropped it on my friends' feet. God I wish our company had the money to absorb you all lovingly.

Sorry to hear it. I promise I'd buy an Idle Thumbs game no matter what, though.

Jeeeeeesus H Christ! What happened? Did Richard Garriot's space programme cost a trifle more than expected?

But in seriousness, I hope you find something else that's ultra cool. And forming your own gaming company might not even be such a weird idea. I certainly wouldn't mind helping you out in any which way.

Yeah cause the current economic climate is perfect for that ;)

Ah but games are probably one of the few sectors that are still growing, thanks to the fact that they have a near-international consumer base.

Also our government are edging closer and closer to giving game development the kind of creative-arts tax break that it needs, thanks in no small part to they way it is good for the economy.

This is exactly the same situation in which many great studios started.

Might as well give it a shot eh? Otherwise you'll always think "what if?"

Absolutely, I'm not saying it's not worth doing I was specifically focusing on the business loans part. Getting any kind of loan for anything at the moment is extremely difficult.

Damn, condolences. Having just recently clawed my way out of debt left from a 3 month unemployment streak, I can definitely sympathize with the "crap, there goes my job" part. Along with toblix though, I'll pledge to buy pretty much anything Idle Thumbs games puts out. Up to and including novelty :tup: shaped fridge magnets.

God, that sucks...:( I wish you to find a new fantastic job soon.

NICK!!! I realized later yesterday that I had forgotten you in this thread, I' m so sorry :tdown::frusty::gershman: It was hastily written whilst at the lord nelson

(Nick also got pwned by the hammer of redundancies. ;( )

That sucks, sorry to hear :/

Still, I also believe this might be the perfect opportunity to start your own thing :tup:

There were 70+ redunancies, so NCsoft Europe has effectively been halved. There's been a global restructuring. Some details here: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ncsoft-confirms-nc-west-formation

It's been a bizarre and emotional few days. It's all very depressing, though some things aren't as bad as they could have been, and I'm trying to focus on that.

The intention of starting a new developer is there, and hopefully we can make that happen. If any of you guys have good leads for publishers or VCs with an interest in either browser-based or full-scale AAA MMO development, please send me a PM.