DanJW

Rename this subforum

Can we rename it "Multiplayer Networking" maybe? 'Online Gaming' makes me think that it's for discussing MMO's and TF2 and stuff.

A minor quibble I know, but it's niggling at me :deranged:

3rd'd - adding in sub-forums of sub-forums will fragment (and confuse) really quickly.

Just out of interest, though: is there really a necessity for an "online" branch at all? I thought gaming was gaming on Thumbs, regardless of context..?

Having a separate forum for multiplayer feels a bit unnecessary to me too.

But then again, I'm always frightened by change.

I think the intention is that it's literally only used for sharing various types of details with each other, and not for actually discussing online games — as Dan said, networking. Seems like a good idea to me, because as time goes on I'm sure there'll be more 'Share Battlefield IDs!', 'Share Spore IDs!', etc kind of threads.

I think it'd be good on the front page because if someone's trying to arrange a TF2 game or something for that evening, people are more likely to notice it. :yep:

yah that's fine, i just got really annoyed with the 6 sticky posts at the top with wii codes in etc, but it can go anywhere.

it is more to do with networking i just cound t think of a suitable name, and i dont think it should be a main forum because it's less about discussion and more about sharing gamer tags and shit - it's a folder to keep that info in

i jsut kinda hastily did it yesterday and then felt a bit sick and went to bed without really perfecting it. heh sorry.

Ahh. should have read the forum description a bit better. Nevermind then.

Is it readable to the public? You could make it private to only registered members. That would give it some merit beyond your OCD like need for tidiness :D

Thing is Cigol we have a small but steady stream of drop-ins that come here purely to exchange gamertags. If they can't see it as a guest they might register and then post in the main forum.

While we're on the subject of OCD-like organisation, clearly we should also have a place where we can enjoy all the old threads kind of like what you see at the bottom of here and here. :tup:

making it private to members is a fucking good idea, what does anyone else think?

we might avoid the pokemon maniacs.

The pokemon maniacs aren't really hurting anyone, and do you really want to cut traffic down even more?

There's even a 1% chance one of those maniacs could be a cool and friendly maniac and actually fit in here with the rest of us maniacs.

for 1% it's worth it

i mean realistically we don't want to bring people here just because we have a pokemon friend code exchange scheme

i think this crap belongs outside of the gaming forum now that so many systems / games / networks exist - it's actually stupid how many there are now.

and tbh do you want to play with thumbs ppl or random_kid95?

i think a private members only resource for exchanging these tags will be best, possibly in fact deleting the existing threads, and starting again - or trimming them anyways, for the people that visit rarely.

I missed this subforum for a bit. Couldn't figure out where my thread had gone. How is it that only 1 other person is playign spore? :shifty:

Heh. :D

I have it, but the user account is also being used by my two sisters so it's not up for sharing. :tmeh:

Heh. :D

I have it, but the user account is also being used by my two sisters so it's not up for sharing. :tmeh:

whaaaaatever. Look, no one cares if you like penis monsters ffs.

There's even a 1% chance one of those maniacs could be a cool and friendly maniac and actually fit in here with the rest of us maniacs.

But he wouldn't be able to post, he's not registered :shifty::grin:

Thanks thunderpeel, that's kind of what I was trying to say (or the sentiment behind the sarcasm at least).

The "1%" was just a very conservative guess. My point was that over time people leave, and if we don't have ways of drawing new people in - even if it's pokemon - then these forums will eventually die. Perhaps some of the Old Guard actually want that to happen, but not me.

But I guess it does make sense to hide some gamertags, so that random weirdos don't turn up mid-game with friend requests.

???

Do you want to see pokemon friend codes?

If so, sign up to the forums right now using our universally recognisable forum registration form. Not only is it quick, easy and available in almost every language known to Cigol, but it's also super exclusive to Idle Thumbs.

If people are dissuaded by registration, and I know that's a possiblity as I am occasionally myself, then I don't see how they hold much potential value as future members of the forum. I'd say those that bite the bullet and register simply to see pokemon friend codes (!?) have a greater incentive down the line as members (whether that's in a couple of days, weeks, or years) because, you know, they actually registered.

...flip a coin?

twofacecoin.jpg

Yes, but how will guests know that there are pokemon friend codes to be had here, if they can't see the thread?

Search engines will still index it, and the subforum has a description highlighting their inclusion - but aside from that I don't know :erm:

How do they currently come by it?