Sign in to follow this  
DanJW

Ziggy! Nooooooo

Talk to me Ziggy! Are you there?! Don't give up on me dammit!

Someone fetch help! For pete's sake isn't there a coder in the building?!

I refer to our resident IF-bot. He that does not know the meaning of 'love'.

Ah, sweet irony! This simple electronic soul that did not know love, nor fear, hast left me broken hearted!

May he find, in the silicon oblivion, the meaning to the question he dids't constantly ask: "what do you want to do now?"

And may his lamp never go out, and his spirit never be eaten by a grue...

I hope to whip Ziggy into shape some day. Can't promise any specific time right now. It turns out some of the multi-threading issues I ran into that made Ziggy crash every now and then are a bit beyond my current skill in dealing with concurrency issues (or I'm just lazy and looking for excuses). I'm thinking of rewriting those parts in Scala using Actors, which seem to be touted nowadays as the solution for reducing complexity of multi-threading.

Update: started working on it again. Will rewrite some parts in Scala because the current code is overly complex and I can't even remember what it all does :) (hmm... deja vu, but I sincerely think this time it will work out)

Not that it's bad code, but I originally meant to make all the separate parts usable outside of Ziggy (such as a desktop app for running the games, running the games in IM and IRC, giving other functions to the bot etc.), that's what made it complicated. But I don't care about that other stuff any more and am focusing on getting the core functionality working as well as possible.

Already got the Infocom VM interface rewritten and it's working fine. Still a lot of work ahead, though. But I'm hopeful of getting it done within a month.

Not sure what happened. I can't get to it remotely from work so I'll fix it when I get home.

Hehe... a simple bug in the code that sleeps until the time a next post can be made. I accidentally made it so it could sleep infinitely unders some conditions. Will fix ASAP!

Hmm... the game was trying to respond with the message

>

but that was too short for vbulletin. Have to add some filler there.

no, you didn't break it, it ignores everything below the first line of text :)

This is great!

But seeing everyone participate in a game that they already know is a bit off-putting to a noob like me. For the next game, can we get something that no one (here) has played? Something new-ish?