Sign in to follow this  
eljay

Plain Sight

Well the time has come for me to start showing what I've been working on since January at Beatnik Games.

Plain Sight is our game, an action game with robots and swords and glowy light things.... read the quick explanation or have it explained to you in the trailer.

It's currently post-alpha and pre-beta but when beta time comes around you guys are all welcome to join, just sign up, let me know and I'll get you in :) Should hopefully be in around a month.

I know you've already visited the website Nachimir, good to see a friendly face :D You also forced me to get off my ass and talk about it here before you hehe.

Well that's my shameless plug post over with, any questions or anything .... go nuts >_<

I know you've already visited the website Nachimir, good to see a friendly face :D You also forced me to get off my ass and talk about it here before you hehe.

:D

I was looking at the team page and wondering if you were the same Alex Ashby :)

Plain Sight looks excellent; I love the aesthetic, and though I don't want to presume, it looks like some good gameplay decisions have gone into the way robots affect the environment visually.

Glad to hear it is liked :woohoo:

Also re: gameplay influenced visuals, that kind of ties into the name of the game too, since with more unbanked points you become more visible and thus more of a target.

That is the very same Alex Ashby, but that's also not me as I'm Lawrence :P

Edited by eljay

Awesome. So from what I can gather, it's a platformer/combat with the blow yourself up for combos element of Every Extend? Sounds pretty sweet to me. Even if I'm dead wrong, the trailer has me wanting more. Count me in.

Also re: gameplay influenced visuals, that kind of ties into the name of the game too, since with more unbanked points you become more visible and thus more of a target.

Aha, thought that might be the case. Excellent, I've played too many multiplayer games where it takes bloody ages to find anyone else.

That is the very same Alex Ashby, but that's also not me as I'm Lawrence :P

My confusion, it diminishes :)

Nice trailer! The concept seems interesting too; though it's unclear to me whether your objective is to score as many points as you can, or kill the competition by blowing them up (or, apparently, killing them with a ninja sword?).

Visually the game works, though I'm not sure about the grey buildings. It makes it look pretty drab, where maybe another neutral colour would make it seem less like the textures aren't working. This may also be informed by my using 3D editors, where grey always stood for 'no textures applied'. Look at Mirror's Edge, which uses bright white, without making it feel like something's missing. I'm just saying; dark grey might not be the best choice.

The robots are damn cute though~!

Just a heads up: a couple of web-geek friends have said the Plain Sight gallery isn't working in IE... :getmecoat

What version of IE are they using and do they have Javascript enabled? It works for us in the office on IE 7.

So from what I can gather, it's a platformer/combat with the blow yourself up for combos element of Every Extend?

Yeah that's pretty much exactly it :D

it's unclear to me whether your objective is to score as many points as you can, or kill the competition by blowing them up (or, apparently, killing them with a ninja sword?)

You kill them with a sword to increase your score buffer, and you bank the score by detonating. Each person you kill in the explosion acts as a multiplier. Objective in the basic game mode is to get as high a score as possible (we are hoping to put other modes in, maybe in patches after release).

Visually the game works, though I'm not sure about the grey buildings

I really appreciate this feedback :) With our other levels we're actually going for a more abstract level design, I think the city cube makes you want there to be more detail as it is comprised of recognisable objects, the other levels don't suffer from this so much. We're going to look at changing the city somewhat.

What version of IE are they using and do they have Javascript enabled? It works for us in the office on IE 7.

Usual culprit: IE6. It looks like there's a reference it doesn't like in the init code for the slideshow.

Looking good!

Nice art direction, promising concept, and the gameplay video really makes me want to play :D