Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Grand Theft Auto IV

FUCK YEAH! I just got the last of the friend related missions. No more bowling, drinking, eating, pooling, darting.

When they released trophies for the PS3 version I thought I'd be compelled to go through it again, but no. Starting up the first mission I got my first trophy and then bam, couldn't be bothered. Probably too soon to replay it, but I always enjoy going back to Vice City and San Andreas so I dunno.

True, sandbox games are just crying out for a zombie treatment. I guess Dead Rising is a sandbox really, but a whole zombie-ridden city done GTAIV style would be incredible, and simultaneously excuse many of the quirks such a game tends to throw up.

Zombies seem to be everywhere at the moment, so it can only be a matter of time.

I actually think the Vice City of 2003 would be better suited to zombie infestation. True, there were fewer indoor areas, but they were much more fully realized. If you could play a zombie-filled city where you could go anywhere and fend off zombies at, say, Vice Point Mall and do your Dawn of the Dead thing, or maybe head off to the airport, the arena, or wherever, I think it would work spectacularly. So many options to hole up, so much variety in your opportunities. GTAIV has some nice indoor areas, sure, but less that I can think of as a viable setpiece or staging area for intense zombie action.

Well, great. Now I can't live without a zombie sandbox game anymore, right now. Thanks a lot you guys :shifty:

[A] whole zombie-ridden city done GTAIV style would be incredible, and simultaneously excuse many of the quirks such a game tends to throw up.

Zombies seem to be everywhere at the moment, so it can only be a matter of time.

Lets wait and see what PC mod fraternity can turn out in the new year. :yep:

GTAIV has some nice indoor areas, sure, but less that I can think of as a viable setpiece or staging area for intense zombie action.

Imagine being chased into one of those Broker tenement blocks in the first part of the game by a horde of zombies. How much fun would it be to have to retreat up those stairs inside, firing into a seething crowd of blood-thirsty undead, still having to watch every side as you ascended in case a shambler came out of one of the apartments on the level you just got to and attacked you from behind?

For all Left 4 Dead's ambition, it's not going to be on the sort of scale as modern day Liberty City. The play scope is epic and 90% of the work is already done. It's a question of planning the new game mode(s*) and further developing the AI.

* Not only could you have a straight up multiplayer sandbox game, the high score opportunities would be immense--both multi- and single-player:

• Longest sole survivor
  • Longest surviving group
  • Most kills in 10 minutes (group and single-player)
  • Most RTAs (running down zombies)

...the list could go on and on, without too much additional work beyond what we already have in GTAIV.

A sole survivor / group survivor mod or multiplayer mode in GTAIV would be awesome. It's the sort of thing GTA IV is built to provide, at least the way I see it. They have this huge fucking sandbox of a city, and the full game doesn't even come close to make me feel like I've seen it all. The city has tons of games left in it, and a zombie survivor type thing would fit perfectly. The combination of on-foot gameplay with cars, helicopters and boats (and buses!) opens up a universe of awesome zombie gameplay.

The Vice City engine may well be better suited, at least for a mod team. A possible problem with the GTAIV engine could be that it can only handle so many 'pedestrians' at one time. It might really chug if you pack the street with a whole horde.

But yeah, the prospect of choosing and fortifying your own hideout, making sure you shake off any following ghouls before returning home to keep it secret, heading out on regular supply gathering missions... I can practically taste it!

But yeah, the prospect of choosing and fortifying your own hideout, making sure you shake off any following ghouls before returning home to keep it secret, heading out on regular supply gathering missions... I can practically taste it!
That makes me taste a proper 'I am Legend' (the book) game. Singleplayer. Storydriven. And it needs booze, to fight of the loneliness, lust, and whatnot.

Ha, that's very true! It might get a little depressing, though. I wonder if you could make a game based on I Am Legend? (the book)

Strategy:

Work on a cure... get yourself to a lab each day

Survive... get yourself to the shops each day

Find survivors... explore new areas each day

Your choice... just make sure you're back before sundown or you'll be stuck in a massive zombie/vampire fight!

That sounds like the ridiculously stressing gameplay of Into the Blue, which sucks.

The I Am Legend mode would fit in perfectly, too, I think. Especially if it was a more long-term gameplay mode, with a clear end game you could complete missions to work towards. Chuck in some sort of mechanic to drive this, like a "humanity metre", and you'd have quite a compelling game in its own right I reckon.

Excellent suggestion... but will we ever see any of this I wonder?

I played some multiplayer races today on Live, and I actually experienced the Xbox Live stereotype -- the guy who talks all the time, complaining about how the settings are gay, and how the other players are totally stupid and fucking gay, etc. I've heard a lot about this kind of person, but I've never heard a live one before. It was exhilerating, listening to him.

Well, I've got my 360 back now - and the UK's back on GMT again - so I'm definitely up for a Grand Thumbs Auto night... :getmecoat

WHIRRRR-- oh sorry, just had to turn off my Xbox 360 playing Fable 2. Yeah, I'm also game for hot and sweaty GTA IV multiplayer action. I'm not a big fan of the "on foot only" modes, though. I like having the option of driving around on a Faggio, or whatever.

Man, Xbox Live is a treasure trove of fascinating characters. I'm listening to a southern guy, about 20 years I'd say, from Carolina bickering with a black kid from the Bronx, probably about 13. They acted horribly stupid, and to me it was like watching a movie or something, the racial slurs and death threats -- one of them even carefully taking note of the other guy's address, promising to make the trip to kill him, or as he put it, blow his nigger head off. It's like a portal into another world, this headset!

Yeah, you can play against anyone. I'd also be up for a night of Grand Thumbs Auto. Thursday works best for me. I've got it off work and only have an hour and a half of class. Anyone game?

Thursday sounds good. What sort of time (GMT) is good for those interested? Anywhere between 8pm and 11pm would be fine for me.

Blooping hell, I'd be totally up for this if my Xbox were linked to the internets =( I'm missing out on forumite fun! Curses.