Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Where is everyone?

Good, good. :tup: My message was directed at the forum at large, by the way. I really needed to vent for a second.

Well, that pretty much describes a lot of desk jobs, but I guess what kills people in the game business is that they enter it with a lot of ideas and it seems like the right place for creativity.

In Marek's case, I had, however, assumed it was all going swell, him being with friends in Brighton at a reasonably sympathetic company.

Oh man, I don't even know where I'll end up, if anywhere. Maybe I'll just stay a freelance artist all my life. I'm just totally unfit for the salaried life.

...turd miner.

I don't know, that job takes great responsibility only the above average and beyond can handle. Did it for 3 months the summer of 2003 and I just didn't last.

I'm pretty happy in the game industry right now, but then again, I'm not a game designer or a writer.

Maybe it's my low expectations, maybe it's the fact that I worked in a carpark and pen factory at one point in my life... But I find the brutality of the games industry quite entertaining.

August the 8th marked my 4th year of being a games tester having refused to rise above that rank and spurned a fair few promotions I'm still hanging on but I suppose because I never really expected it to be awesome, just wanted to play games. I've not really been all that bothered by it.

Admittedly I've quit my job 3 times...

2827131737_246bffa9fe.jpg

I went down to Brighton for a day and was almost blown off the ground by the wind. Christ is it windy there. I was there on short notice so didn't get to meet any of the throngs of Brighton thumbs :getmecoat

I was sat near exactly that spot reading and watching the surfers about a month ago :) Will be down for the barcamp there this weekend too.

Did you get a chance to look around the North Laine? Some good indie shops around there (Though Spaff would take exception to the vegetarian food ;))

Did you get a chance to look around the North Laine? Some good indie shops around there (Though Spaff would take exception to the vegetarian food ;))

No ;( I was there on really short notice and not having internet prevented me from researching anything so I just wandered around back and forth along the Channel. Twas nice indeed. Would have been nicer on a proper summer day, but I guess they don't have those in this country. meh.

Maybe I'll be back in November and meet people this time (that don't owe me money :shifty:)

I am now residing in Glasgow. 'Tis a silly place.

I mostly feel stupid all the time. Don't know how anything works, how to get the internet working, which gas company to call, how to not be scared about fucking GAS, where to find proper tea that's not in bags, where to find coffee filters, etc. etc. The people are great, though, very hospitable and warm. Also, the weather is great ;) I'm serious.