Sign in to follow this  
Markus

coign of vantage

After launching our site some months ago and spending far too much time on contract work, Philipp and I finally finished our next little Flash game:

coign of vantage

http://www.bobblebrook.com/games/coign-of-vantage

cov_screenshot_1.jpg

Adjust your camera pointing at a 3D pixel cloud to form the icon shown in the upper right. The goal is to build as many icons as possible before time runs out.

Please let us know what you think, and spread the word if you like it :)

Markus

That's a really cool idea. I'll check it out when my PC is fixed.

That is a bizarrely addictive (and relaxing) game! I really like it :tup:

My best score was 303500... I've no idea how people manage to get a highscore - You'd have to be lightning fast!

Quite lovely and a nice idea.

I find I generally don't actually have to look at the target image, since the scaling on the pixels almost immediately reveals an axis that makes it apparent which ones need to be closest to the camera and which furthest away. A raspberry icon confused the fuck out of me though, since it was almost round and very much the same colours all over.

I think I got about 168,000.

Neat idea. I like the atmosphere. You still have the negative "more to beat your high score" bug from your previous games if it's your first time playing or if you beat your high score that round, though. Does your cloud generator work for every sprite you feed it?

High was 320,840, not like that's anywhere near the leaderboard scores.

How on earth can you possibly earn the 940,000+ required for a highscore?! As you get further into the game, the "time bonus" you get from each picture becomes nominal (it's so small it seems like it's subtracting time!).

Good game though!

Thank you for the kind comments!

I'm happy the game is getting so much positive Feedback :)

Neat idea. I like the atmosphere. You still have the negative "more to beat your high score" bug from your previous games if it's your first time playing or if you beat your high score that round, though.

Oh, damnit. Gotta fix that. Thanks for pointing it out.

Does your cloud generator work for every sprite you feed it?

Yes. We used only 16x16 Icons for this game, because it turned out to be a pretty ideal size for this kind of game, and because they were a lot of fun to make :)

Technically the cloud generator works for sprites in any resolution though.

How on earth can you possibly earn the 940,000+ required for a highscore?! As you get further into the game, the "time bonus" you get from each picture becomes nominal (it's so small it seems like it's subtracting time!).

Practice ;)

But seriously, the current highscores are even beyond every record we reached during development and testing.

A slow computer also helps a bit, as does concentrating on the early icons, because they get you a lot more time bonus.

My personal record is somewhere around 1.000.000, which might not get me into the highscorelist anymore either :shifty:

I like it :D

But there's a trick. The front of each icon forms a small point of pixels. You move your mouse towards that point and the image is always in the correct position, with a little rotation needed occasionally.

If you could somehow prevent the icons from being broken up to always have this small cone at the front, it would be harder and more awesome :)

But there's a trick. The front of each icon forms a small point of pixels. You move your mouse towards that point and the image is always in the correct position, with a little rotation needed occasionally.

Well sure, it feels like a "trick", but I think everyone uses that technique and I still don't know how anyone could have got those scores!

Cool game! I think I agree with Nick's comment about the small pixels, though I'm not sure if it would actually improve the game.

We had an amazingly high amount of traffick the last few days, after a lot of blogs mentioned the game. Yay!

The highscores have finally ventured into impenetrable regions though.

I tried playing a few rounds with the tablet yesterday. Does indeed 'feel' good to play, but didn't help me score higher than 1.100.000 either.