Sign in to follow this  
miffy495

FUUUUUUCK!!!

360 just Red-Ringed on me. That is all.

:( :( :( :( :(

UPDATE: After a few minutes of being turned off, it's ok again. Though I don't doubt it will be crapping out on me again anytime now. I know I'm not the first thumb to go through this. Any advice from those who've already trod this path?

They occasionally do this if the power connector isn't in properly. Mine has briefly shown a red ring twice now (each time making me scream "FUUUUCK!"), but unplugging the power from the back, waiting ten seconds, and replugging has worked. It got through 80 hours of GTA IV without a hiccup after both of these incidents.

Damn Microsoft for making a console that makes me worry every time I use it.

Yeah. All the cables were fine (It did that to me when I set it up for the first time, making me think I'd bought a dead one) but after it booted up again I put it through its paces with a couple of Rock Band songs and a full run through of Rez. Seems ok. Barring further incident, I'll chock this one up to it being 40 degrees centigrade out today and the system just getting overheated the good honest way.

Barring further incident... :shifty:

Mine RRoD'd off and on and then on and on and on.... So you might have to send it back eventually. If so, I hope your returns experience goes as smoothly as mine: I it sent off and returned within two weeks. Good luck!

PS - Best make sure you package it up properly, you're likely to get the same machine back.

Damn Microsoft for making a console that makes me worry every time I use it.

Yeah. My friend is actually afraid to buy new games for his xbox in a fear of it scratching the game discs again*. Which is kind of bizarre situation..

*He sent it to be repaired only to hear that they just changed the motherboard.

My xbox scratches my GTA4 disc to shreds. Every time I get the Disc Unreadable error I pop the fucker out and rub toothpaste all over it for 10 minutes.

Not an ideal solution, but definitely better than paying Rockstar 25 smackers for a new disc.

I've only experienced that once. Apparently the lens is too close to where the disc spins, and it mostly happens if you move the console while playing. Again, the only game I've had that got scratched was Guitar Hero II, and that was when an overzealous friend knocked the system over in the middle of a song, so I don't fault my 360 for that one.

I'm downloading Soul Calibur and the Too Human demo as I type this, so it seems to be working ok for now. I did go ahead and get my system all registered up with MS and all I'll need to do if things go pear-shaped on me again is call them and say "hey, it's broken for reals this time." My phone experience with the guy who helped me do this was very pleasant, hopefully the real experience will be similar. He also tells me I have a full year left in my warranty, which is nice to know.

I've only experienced that once. Apparently the lens is too close to where the disc spins, and it mostly happens if you move the console while playing.

Well, obviously. Who'd move it while playing?

On a slightly related note, anyone know what the awesomest position for the Xbox 360 is, considering ventilation, noise, disc scratching, etc? Is there a difference?

My 360 scratched up Forza 2 for me when the game came out. I guess the machine was getting pretty hot, even though it sits by itself, because the fans went into overdrive and caused the disc to wobble slightly and hit the lens. Managed to get the disc exchanged where I bought it, after some nagging. Microsoft wanted 19 euro, but were apparently aware of similar problems.

On a slightly related note, anyone know what the awesomest position for the Xbox 360 is, considering ventilation, noise, disc scratching, etc? Is there a difference?

Mine is on it's own wooden table, vertical, next to the PS3. Luckily the table is big enough to fit the power brick on too - might be tempting fate here, but I've had it 18 months with no problems. The 360 looks pig ugly next to that beautiful piece of hardware that is the PS3 though.

Mine is (and has been for quite some time) lying flat on it's side in between my vertically placed PS3 and Wii. I have to agree with how much prettier the PS3 is, but with the Wii and 360 being the same colour, the PS3 is the one that looks out of place. The brick is placed with plenty of ventilation behind my computer screen, and each system has at least 3 inches of clearance on each side for heat to escape. I used to have the 360 vertical until I noticed that what appears to be the largest vent on the system is located on the side that is facing down when it's standing vertically. Figured I'd get better ventilation this way. The others are vertical simply out of space restraint, and because the PS3, while beautiful standing vertically, looks like a waffle iron when it's lying flat.

This whole setup is about a foot to the left of my computer, as both HD systems are also run through the monitor, with the Wii running into an old SD TV I got on the cheap a few years back that sits another foot to the left of the consoles. My desk is set into a corner, so the monitor is on the East wall, consoles on a 45 degree angle to that, and then the TV is on the South wall. If I turn 90 degrees to my left, I'm facing the TV. Given the space constraints of my tiny room, I think I've managed a pretty elegant setup. Whenever the roomates want to play something (ie: Rock Band or a Blu Ray movie) it all gets moved out to the main room, but other than that I'm the only one in the place who really plays games so it stays in here to keep noise and TV hogging down.

Mine's on a shelf in the TV cabinet, lying on its side by its self. (My Dreamcast and GameCube occupy the shelf below.) I pulled the back off the cabinet to allow maximum air flow, as we used to have a 'backed' TV cabinet and the 360 would boil in there. Fortunately, I can play it with this cabinet's doors shut without risk of overheating, which is nice as it blocks out a lot more of that turbine racket. :(

I used to have my 360 standing vertical before, too, but I'm finding I get a lot fewer 'disc unreadable' errors now. Granted, it still happens occasionally - an it's definitely specific to particular games (Forza 2 and GTA IV being the prime culprits) - but the machine seems happier on its side overall.

I reckon the only thing you could do to improve cooling on a stock 360, i.e. not ripping it's guts out and adding a liquid cooling system, would be to have it on its side but with 1" blocks under each foot. This would really improve air flow and likely drop the machine's temperature a good few degrees. I've been thinking about fashioning a couple of wooden rails to go on the cabinet shelf just for this, then spray painting them the same colour as the cabinet so they blend in a bit better.

Anyway, I've had mine for about 18 months now, too, and it's a little bit twitchy at times. No red lights or anything yet* but the hardware does sound rather grumpy at times...

* "Touch wood, touch wood you stupid fuck!"

Mine's lying horizontal on carpet :( But it's never scratched a disk! :tup:

After I got my new one back, I was pleased to discover they'd replaced the fans with quieter ones. They're still audible, just not quite as loud as before.

Well shit. 2.5-ish months later and here we are again. Going to unplug it, watch the daily show, and try again after. Good times. Good times...

At least this time I'll have LittleBigPlanet to keep me busy if it has to go back for repairs.

UPDATE: Yup. It's dead.

Edited by miffy495

Yep, mine choked for the second time last night; had invited a friend 'round for some gaming, too. Bastard device. Played on Dreamcast all night instead, which is 10 years old this week and still fighting fit... :oldman:

Still, called MS this morning and they're sending someone to collect it next week at no cost--even though it's long out of warranty. Something at least, though I'd rather it didn't break in the first place. :tfart:

Can we all admit cartridges were the right way to go now..?

Can we all admit cartridges were the right way to go now..?

Definitely. My NES is a year older than I am and still works just fine...

Definitely. My NES is a year older than I am and still works just fine...

Actually, I'd invited a friend over for some co-op gaming that night. My 360 red ringed as soon as I switched it on. So we played Dreamcast instead, which I believe is celebrating it's 10th birthday this week..?

Maybe not cartridges then, just not cheap, hurried chipset design either, eh?! :frusty:

So we played Dreamcast instead, which I believe is celebrating it's 10th birthday this week..?

Next year. 9/9/09 will be the 10th anniversary of 9/9/99. :yep:

I think the next generation of consoles will all represent pinnacles of silent, cool-running, stable devices.

You got hit too? Damn. Oh well. Been a week since I sent mine back, so hopefully it's all on schedule.