Tanukitsune

Which old Sonic games should I avoid?

I'd hate to admit it, but the first Sonic game I ever played was Sonic Adventure, and I've yet to give any of the older games a "real" go... ;(

But now with my Sonic collections and GameTap, I have access to all the pre-Dreamcast Sonic games (except Sonic Jam, and the Sega Pico stuff and other oddities) and I was wondering if there are any I should avoid?

Are the Game Gear games worth it? Is Sonic 3D that bad? :erm:

The first game gear game is solid, although for some reason they changed the bosses from the Master system version so there are couple that are actually easier in the GG version.

The second GG sonic is an exercise in frustration, the first boss is a pain in the arse (the soundtrack is rather good though).

Sonic 1, 2 and 3 (Megadrive/genesis) are great as is Sonic CD (Mega/SEGA CD). I didn't mind Sonic 3D - Flicky's Island but I very much understand why people don't like it. The controls are a little awkward and it fails to live up to what Sonic is about, which is about going really fast.

The second Sonic on the Master System is also fun but good luck to getting past the hang glider section on your first try.

Have you tried any of the GBA or DS titles? I quite enjoyed all of those.

But is there a big difference between the GG, MS and MD versions of Sonic?

I have Sonic Advance and Sonic Rush, I'm not sure if I have the other GBA Sonic games... I'll have to check, but if I do have them, I probably beat them?:erm:

THe Game Gear and MasterSystem games are basically the same, but are totally different games to the Megadrive ones.

My favourite game was probably Sonic 3 + Knuckles (Sonic & Knuckles being a plug-in cart that altered the previous games - a fantastic idea that was great fun).

Sonic 1, 2 and 3 + Knuckles are all awesome.

like Dan said 3 + Knuckles is wicked as one, however there are small differences in playing them seperately. If you become in insane 16-bit Sonic fan then you may want to play them seperately and together with all characters in order to see various endings, changes in levels and also music I believe.

3D is a bit poor really, but not completely shite.

Sonic CD is a bit odd but very good.

Sonic Spinball is good IMO.

If this is the same set of Game Gear games as what comes with Sonic Gems and Sonic Mega Collection (Plus) then Sonic Chaos, Sonic Triple Trouble, and Tails' Adventure are all pretty awesome titles.

I really don't prefer Sonic 1 and 2 on GG as I can't beat them without the help of save states. But I need save states to get the emeralds on Sonic Chaos as well... so...

All of the GG games are sort of broken in their own little way, but some are still pretty charming. There's not really the same quality Nintendo put into their handheld versions of popular franchises.

Speaking of Chaos Emeralds, do all the game have bonus stages as hard as Sonic 2?

I'm only missing two, but I had to give up...;(

I remember sonic 1 on the megadrive having the hardest bonus stages.

Ahhhhg! I'm spinning!

I found them much easier than the Sonic 2 ones! In the finals level you can't miss a single ring if you want to win!

Hmm, I've actually succeeded on Sonic 2 on genesis getting all of the Chaos Emeralds but died on the last boss because once you get all the emeralds you can't save up over 100 rings to get lives, since the game requires you to turn into Super Sonic after 50 rings at each time.

But here's a tip. On the bonus levels, turn Tails off if he is on computer control following you. He lost a lot of rings because the computer controlled Tails was sluggish on Sonic 2 bonus levels and would hit the bombs.

Actually there is a tactic to Sonic 2.

You can easily earn one life on the first level of Sonic 2 by collecting 100 rings and not triggering a half way point

Go to one of the half way points (a post with a rotating globe on it) and trigger the bonus stage. Whether you successfully complete the bonus stage or not kill yourself and collect another 100 rings and repeat the process.

You can collect all of the chaos emeralds on the first level using that process.

Hmm, I've actually succeeded on Sonic 2 on genesis getting all of the Chaos Emeralds but died on the last boss because once you get all the emeralds you can't save up over 100 rings to get lives, since the game requires you to turn into Super Sonic after 50 rings at each time.

But here's a tip. On the bonus levels, turn Tails off if he is on computer control following you. He lost a lot of rings because the computer controlled Tails was sluggish on Sonic 2 bonus levels and would hit the bombs.

Ah, but you only turn into Super Sonic if you double-jump. Therefore it is possible to not turn into him if you jump carefully (supersonic is a pain t control on the blimp level).

The final boss is pretty damn easy and after a few times you should be able to kill him without getting hit once.

The special stages... hmm. I think the trick is to jump if you think you're about to hit a bomb. The later ones are hard, but not that hard. Perhaps playing 2player vs special stages hones you skills (it can be a proper nause-fest!)

Well, I was playing with Sonic & Tails and yeah, he kept getting hit by bombs, but he also picked up some of the rings I missed!

Ah, but you only turn into Super Sonic if you double-jump. Therefore it is possible to not turn into him if you jump carefully (supersonic is a pain t control on the blimp level).

That would be Sonic 3. If I remember correctly, you just get 50 rings and jump in Sonic 2.

Still, it's possible to get all the chaos emeralds by about half way through the game and then play the rest as Super Sonic. Be careful on Wing Fortress though, lots of falling off to be done there as Super Sonic.

That would be Sonic 3. If I remember correctly, you just get 50 rings and jump in Sonic 2.

Still, it's possible to get all the chaos emeralds by about half way through the game and then play the rest as Super Sonic. Be careful on Wing Fortress though, lots of falling off to be done there as Super Sonic.

Yeah it's true, Sonic 2 only requires you to simply jump to turn into Super Sonic.

The strategy I use is pretty much like most have said here, which is to make sure I get all the chaos emeralds within the first 5 levels or so, which also works well in the first Sonic game, but that game does not have Super Sonic, so you don't have to deal with turning into him.

I used to beat the game all the time as a kid by just piling on the lives and collecting rings throughout all the early levels and using them all on the last boss and Wing Fortress, but at that age I didn't understand the point of even getting the Chaos Emeralds or that Super Sonic even existed, so I just simply didn't bother with special stages.

Hah, you could just get Sonic Mega Collection Plus and make use of save states if you want to get all Chaos Emeralds and beat the last boss. I've never been able to accomplish both at the same time no matter how hard I try. One hit kills on end bosses are no fun.

Edited by syntheticgerbil

What!?!?

The Game Gear and Master System versions lived by that rule. And the were bastard-hard in the later levels.

I guess that's why I've never been able to beat any Sonic games on GG or MS besides Triple Trouble and Chaos without save states.

I did beat Sonic Spinball on Genesis once in third grade, but I couldn't be bothered now without save states either. That game is intensely hard on the last two levels (and it's a four level game right?). Really I thought Sonic Spinball was made very well and that's why I kept playing until I won, no matter how hard it was.

I think the people behind Sonic Spinball also made Comix Zone, which I also used to think was one of the coolest games.