Sign in to follow this  
Ben

PixelJunk Eden

I don't normally do this kind of thing, but if you have a PS3 then you owe it to yourself to download the PixelJunk Eden demo (it's on the US store).

Video here.

9ir7vc.jpg

2q2e6nq.jpg

jr8xz6.jpg

It is pretty mindbending. I guess grappling hook is the best description. Find a youtube video of it if you can - it's very pretty.

This might be a real dumb question but is there a way to download US store games in Europe?

It is pretty mindbending. I guess grappling hook is the best description. Find a youtube video of it if you can - it's very pretty.

I had a look at the video Ben linked to in the OP, which is where I got the 'grappling hook' impression from.

PixelJunk seems to be an on-going theme/series of experimental games on PSN, correct? Reminds me a little bit of Nintendo's late efforts on the Game Boy, with that series of minimalist titles right at the end of the Advance's lifespan. (The name escapes me now...)

I don't have a ps3 to try it out, but the gameplay in the video reminds me a lot of Wik, at least the jumping on the ground by pointing an arrow and grappling to the environment in midair. Neat abstract style, though.

PixelJunk seems to be an on-going theme/series of experimental games on PSN, correct? Reminds me a little bit of Nintendo's late efforts on the Game Boy, with that series of minimalist titles right at the end of the Advance's lifespan. (The name escapes me now...)

bit Generations?

This might be a real dumb question but is there a way to download US store games in Europe?

Yes, simply create a new user and PSN ID, except set your location as America. Don't worry about filling in credit card details or anything (unless you actually want to purchase stuff from the US store, in which case the card details must be American).

Oh.. That was almost too simple. I wonder why they couldn't just put it in the European store as well if their region restriction (at least for the free stuff) is that easy to bypass.

Thanks for the tip!

I've been looking forward to this game (although I don't own a PS3). Maybe my roommate will buy it -- too bad his TV is a horrible, old projection tv.

What a weird looking game. It reminds me of that other, even more ridiculous game, where you're the amoeba thing eating other amoeba things and going into deeper levels by portal things. I think it was called Flow?

Fl0w is awesome. As was Eden. Really trippy little bugger. I only got to play for 10 minutes or so, but will be going back to it again soon. I do recommend giving it a shot for those who are able.

Stagg, a word of advice. One of the main uniting factors of the Thumb is a shared love of these weird and ridiculous games. If you take nothing else from your visits here, (and may they be plentiful) I do hope that you develop a taste for some of these. That said, always good to have a new face join the ranks. Hope I'm not being too discouraging here, and I may be reading more into what you said than was actually there. Anyway, welcome aboard and all.

Idle Thumbs

“Pulling up videogaming’s rocks and peering underneath since 2005*.” :tup:

* Or thereabouts.

Like the grappling hooks in Worms 2? Bouncing around on those things was great!

Like the grappling hooks in Worms 2? Bouncing around on those things was great!

The first screenshot made me instantly think of Worms as well. There were challenges (or whatever they were called) in, at least, Worms Armageddon that had you collect stuff using only the ninja rope. I can't believe how fun they turned out to be.

Gave it more of a proper go last night. Really cool stuff going on there. Flying around through the higher reaches of a garden is insanely fun given how simple it is. This one is now a definite must-buy for me when it comes out.

Ok, sorry, scratch that. It appears there's no single 'theme', but that it's a brand. Monsters appears to be some sort of tower defence, and eden is...kinda like locoroco mixed with um..acid?

I'd say the most apt description is that of Loco Roco combined with swinging around on a grappling hook in Worms. It's awesome. Monsters I got last night as well because of how much I liked Eden. It's a basic but difficult tower defense game. Pretty good, actually.

Poo. I went back to play some more today and got my 5th Seed or whatever the objective things are called. Went to go for #6 and it tells me to please buy the full game. Full game has not yet been released, so I went to try a different level, thinking maybe it was just that level that was locked. Nope, everything is shut out now. What I have is a very pretty title screen that I can make a character jump around. I will be buying the game the day it's out, no question, but I wish the game wouldn't tease me like this...

EDIT: Just learned that it's out tomorrow! W00t!

The screenshots looked 'nice' but I couldn't really 'understand' them, whilst the streaming videos didn't pique my interest either as it all seemed a bit pedestrian and pointless. Still, considering it cost just five pounds and you guys were impressed I bought the full game anyway and nearly two hours later I was still playing, having fun, and in the throes of addiction. A highly recommended PSN purchase from me too then :tup:

If you've looked at the screenshots or watched the videos and you're still not getting it don't worry, download the free demo and you'll soon understand. It's not an earth shattering game by any means but for £5 you're getting more than your moneys worth. Incidentally I noticed a comparison to FL0W earlier, which whilst it shares a similar vibe in ambience, you'll find Eden is much more of a game with a challenge*

*I particularly like the trophy which requires I buy two extra controllers, run out onto the street to make friends with random passer-bys and coerce them into a game of multiplayer Eden.

A couple of others have already been mentioned but it reminds me of an old Amstrad title (for which I've forgotten the name) where you had to progressively make your way up through a cavern avoidi.... oh shit, did I just say that out loud, an Amstrad? I, umm, never mind! Forget I spoke.

It reminded a bit of 'Thrust' on the ST when I watched a youtube vid. If that's the one you're on about.

No, it wasn't that (although looking at the youtube videos it seems like such an ace game for the time!), the game I'm thinking about had a stick like man who was able to jump very high. Anyway. Very much still enjoying Eden, surprised to see it has 10 levels (I'm still on the second and third) and I'm liking how you have to grow your home garden in order to reach higher levels - and how it introduces new concepts and design styles as you progress.

I also like how I'm ranked higher than Ben and Miffy :mock:

Actually, it wasn't Thrust that I was thinking of, it was a game called 'Oids' - similar principle...but nothing like PJ-E :getmecoat

Good game though.