miffy495

iPhone/iTouch gaming

I find that two reasonably vigorous shakes work pretty well.

Just wanted to recommend Words with Friends, which is an awesome asynchronous Scrabble clone. You have to buy the app, but it's practically free, after which you can just immediately start a bunch of games by entering someone else's nick (mine's toblix, and I know Tonsko is also playing). Now you can just check in now and then (or get email notifications (or SMS if you're with AT&T)), and play at your own pace. It's really cool. If you get it, I'd love you play with you.

You can grab the free one, but the ads get old quickly. Anyhow, the reason for the post; 'Warning: even though toblix is Norwegian, he's bloody good at english scrabble. I'm currently being totally owned.' ha-hem.

:)

But I'm like a child with a machine gun. I have the words, but I don't know what to do with them.

Also, didn't think of the free one. The priced app is NOK 6, here, which is very little. I imagine it's $0.99 or something. Totally worth it.

crap, this isn't in the Estonian store. similarly missing is Civ Rev :(

crap, this isn't in the Estonian store. similarly missing is Civ Rev :(

well... it's e-stonia afterall... not i-stonia

ok, I'm done.

well... it's e-stonia afterall... not i-stonia

Oh crap, I guess I need the ePhone here.

Alive 4-ever, while being a blatant Left 4 Dead clone looks pretty sweet for the 99¢ asking price (limited time sale!).

I'm a hopeless sucker for twin stick shooters - especially horror-themed ones, and this looks to be my cup of tea indeed. There's even different progressing levels (unlike iDracula and Minigore) and some RPG-ish upgrades - plus different selectable characters.

I'm all over this - impression to follow.

Nobody's mentioned Eliss, the only game i've seen use multi-touch to any extreme degree. You can read my review of that here. (tl;dr: it is awesome)

Also surprised to see that nobody mentioned Spider: the something something of bryce manor, which is a great qix + sidescroller mashup with beautiful art. Haven't reviewed it yet, but definitely recommend it.

These are pretty much my two favorite games on the device right now.

Nobody's mentioned Eliss, the only game i've seen use multi-touch to any extreme degree. You can read my review of that here. (tl;dr: it is awesome)

Also surprised to see that nobody mentioned Spider: the something something of bryce manor, which is a great qix + sidescroller mashup with beautiful art. Haven't reviewed it yet, but definitely recommend it.

Spider was good indeed. I should play it again to find some of the secrets i think I missed.

I find Eliss to be pretty good as well. I've seen complaints that it's too hard, but it isn't for me. But it might be best played not with holding the phone in you hands, but with placing it on a table so you can use more fingers.

I've been playing Flashback, which seems to be a pretty direct port of the old game. It's pure nostalgia, and I love it.

I've been playing Flashback, which seems to be a pretty direct port of the old game. It's pure nostalgia, and I love it.

I'm curious as to how you think it controls. Flashback has always been a game of pinpoint timing, so I can't imagine it playing at all comfortably on an iPhone.

I'm curious as to how you think it controls. Flashback has always been a game of pinpoint timing, so I can't imagine it playing at all comfortably on an iPhone.

It's not perfect, but it works. It has the standard buttons overlayed on the image for "Use", the "A" button and item menu. The movement joystick only pops up where you put your finger down, so that kind of helps avoid blocking any crucial part of the screen with your thumb, but it still happens from time to time.

As for timing, the controls are relatively responsive once you get a feel for it so it's not as much trouble as it might sound. Of course, the tacked on save/load feature helps immensely. I've had my share of fuck ups because it's just not the same as using a controller, but it hasn't really hindered me in any way. I've made it to level 4, past the game show playing on Normal.

TL;DR Controls are okay, not terrible. Hasn't impeded my game progress.

Just wanted to recommend Words with Friends, which is an awesome asynchronous Scrabble clone. You have to buy the app, but it's practically free, after which you can just immediately start a bunch of games by entering someone else's nick (mine's toblix, and I know Tonsko is also playing). Now you can just check in now and then (or get email notifications (or SMS if you're with AT&T)), and play at your own pace. It's really cool. If you get it, I'd love you play with you.

I now also have this T4ffer is the name. I've never played scrabble before, tho.

Somewhat related to Words with Friends: if anyone likes crosswords, Offworld recommended Crosswords and 2Across, which are supposedly very similar. They download crosswords puzzles from newspaper websites so you'll have an infinite choice. I got Crosswords, before realizing that 2Across was cheaper.

They seem really hard though, but I've only done crosswords in Estonian before (used to do them a lot actually). And there's no choose by difficulty so I had to try a few before finding something I could actually complete.

Everyone beware: Erkki, despite not playing much scrabble, and being Estonian, is pretty bloody good at it.

The two people that seem to play a stronger game than me are not English. Christ I suck :grin:

Everyone beware: Erkki, despite not playing much scrabble, and being Estonian, is pretty bloody good at it.

I've always had a bit of a fascination with words, especially English ones. Not that I know how to use them properly in a sentence :) I still haven't managed to win a single game of Words with Friends though (lost 3 of them, one to Toblix).

I've played Civ Rev (lite) for a little while and I think it's great, I'd consider getting the full version.

Also, thanks to people for mentioning Tap Tap Revenge, I had seen this game but never knew that it was called, so I just downloaded it and gonna try it out.

I also think Lemonade Tycoon is pretty fun for a mindless time waster.

Edited by Moelman

I've played Civ Rev (lite) for a little while and I think it's great, I'd consider getting the full version.

It pretty much is the full DS version, which I played a shit load last summer, so I'm happy.

Just got Lumines and Mr. Driller. Lumines... oh man. I love Lumines. I own it on five separate platforms. I'll buy it for five more. But, man, the controls on this make it completely unplayable. I couldn't get through one skin. :hmph: And it's not like I suck at this game. :getmecoat

Mr. Driller is right fun though.

One of my favorite boardgames has been made for the iPhone: http://carcassonneapp.com/

It's beautifully done too. If you get a chance to play it on an ipad, the tiles are already high res (though not the UI, yet).

Toblix and I are already playing, anyone else fancy it? There's a decent manual in there, but I'm happy to teach people too. The invite and game system is a bit clunky, but you can invite me by emailing david [dot] hayward [at] pixel-lab [dot] co {dot} uk

If you get a link to start a game, and it doesn't actually work as one in your mail client, copying it into safari on an iThing with Carcassonne installed will work.