miffy495

iPhone/iTouch gaming

hey toblix - rad that you enjoyed Fieldrunners - it's definitely my favorite iPhone game.

I've seen screenshots of a snow map - so I'm pretty sure there's gonna be another map update at some point. Hopefully soon.

Just bought Space Invaders: Infinity Gene. I have to say that Taito did a really good job in turning one of their classic games I never enjoyed at all into one of the most interesting shumps I have ever played. Some of the levels are simply amazing.

On the headphone topic, I consider myself to be a little bit of an audiophile, and when it comes to some cheap, portable headphones that sound absolutely fantastic, I was blown away by these Koss KSC75's. You can probably pick them up for something ridiculous on eBay, and if you like music you owe it to yourself to try them out.

On Brushes: That is awesome.

On the iPhone gaming front: HOLY SHIT YOU GUYS SIMON THE SORCERER IS ON THE APP STORE.

ADVENTURE GAME REBIRTH.

HOLY SHIT YOU GUYS SIMON THE S--
HOLY FUCK EVERYONE TO THE APP STORE NOW

On the iPhone gaming front: HOLY SHIT YOU GUYS SIMON THE SORCERER IS ON THE APP STORE.

Yay... now you can throw your iphone against the wall then you get frustrated by insane puzzles.

I already bought 1 and 2 from GOG though. I really don't need a version that I'll never get to hear the audio on anyway...

I found an app for me. Maybe not for all of you, but...

It's called Frotz, and it comes with a bunch of different Interactive Fiction adventures, and you can download more from the IF Database.

Civilization Revolution is now on the App Store.

People are saying it is pretty much identical to the DS version.

Goodbye, life.

Not to be rude or anything, but when people link to iTunes items, I EXPLODE IN A MURDEROUS RAGE.

Not to be rude or anything, but when people link to iTunes items, I EXPLODE IN A MURDEROUS RAGE.

Fascinating! I have recalibrated my sensors and placed you at the center of the fucking universe. Hopefully this will prevent any future missteps on my part.

In other news... YAWN!

Sorry if it made it seem like I actually exploded in a murderous rage. I was only kidding.

I realize that you were kidding.

It's not that I think you're actually the jerk you present yourself to be. Rather, I find it annoying that you are not clever or funny, even though you seem to think you are hilarious & feel compelled to constantly assert this.

But whatever, you're a big dog around here apparently, so have fun with that.

Has anyone looked into the Zune HD?

I think its pretty neat, and looks very promising.

Here's the odd bit.

- Apple has the iPhone/iPod touch and all these games to play.

- Microsoft has the Zune HD, which has a few better features but is very comparable to an iPod touch. No mention of games.

Does that strike anyone else as totally backwards?

I seem to have read that the new Zune doesn't totally suck. I haven't really bothered to find out why not, having just bought an iPhone, but I seem to recall mention of it having a radio. Also I assume it has a 720p display. I guess they've already forfeited the game part, with the iPhone market having this ridiculous amount and rate of awesome games / apps coming out, and are maybe aiming for the media bit a bit more?

Does anyone know if it still has that ridiculous "squirt" feature where you can copy a song to another guy's Zune and he can play it for three days or ten times or whatever?

So, having used it a bit more, I have some bullet points:

• The iPhone is a joy to use. It's really responsive, everything's slick and intuitive.
  • The games I've played have been really good:
    • Zen Bound is amazing to me. I played the PC version and though the simple mechanic of it was awesome. It appealed to some base instinct. When I show it to others they wiggle the object for a bit and then lose interest. When I then explain that the goal is to cover the object in rope, they are not interested in trying again.
    • Fieldrunners is the one I've played the most (about 250 waves in all). I've never liked tower defense games, but for some reason this feels just right. It's just hard enough, and gives me more money at just the right rate. Also, when I fail I feel that next time I'll beat it. I much prefer this over 7 cities and creeps.
    • Cops & Robbers impressed me by being a fully 3D game with sound, music, animation, cut-scenes, etc. on my phone!!! Other than that it was okay.
    • EDGE is awesome.
    • Tap Tap Revenge feels sort of gimmicky. I guess it could be because I've played GH and RB and it feels like a lesser version, but I still use it to impress people, because it's pretty impressive.
    • Textropolis and Bookworm have received much touching from me. I love word games, regardless of platform, and it's so nice to be able to just stop whenever, and then resume later.
    • Duke Nukem 3D was cool to start up, seeing and hearing the memories on this little screen. The level opening with the crashing sound on the rooftop was great, but then I discovered the controls were terrible. edit: This will be fixed soon.

• Pinball Dreams & Fantasies -- I'm surprised nobody has mentioned these anywhere I've looked for recommendations. They're perfect ports of the Amiga games, with the same awesome music and feel.

[*]I'm really happy with the iPod. I've used it to and from work since getting it, and combined with the on-lead remote I can pause and play and skip and adjust volume with ease. This isn't magic, I know, but I'm surprised at how much I liked this part of the phone.

[*]The shake to shuffle doesn't work...

[*]The voice recognition & synthesis is fucking incredible! Have you tried this? You just speak to the phone and it replies. It tells me the name of the artist and the song title. This is future technology, and I can carry it in my pocket!

Currently I've set it up to sync contacts with gmail using Sync in a Blink, and Google Calendar with WebDAV. I've looked at NuevaSync, which sounds really awesome (basically a Exchange interface for Google mail, contacts and calendar). When they add support for contact groups I'm using that instead.

Edited by toblix

I broke my computer, so I guess I'll be playing with my iPhone for a while. I'm thinking of buying SimCity or Civilization Revolution. Which would you recommend? Are there any other "longer" games that are good for the iPhone? I already have PuzzleQuest.

• The shake to shuffle doesn't work...

Have you turned the feature on in the settings?

I don't know. Wiimote style waggling works.

Also, it seems that I can undo typing by shaking as well.

Also, it seems that I can undo typing by shaking as well.

Ah yes, I know about that but I've never tried it. To be honest, it'll have to be pretty subtle for me to use that in public rather than just backspacing a couple of times.

There's a video of the Zune HD used as a media thingie when connected to a HDTV. That's actually pretty sweet.