toblix

‫‬‭‮‪‫‬‭‮Mirror's Edge

I just finished it today (playing a lot of PC gaming right now, got a GTX 295 recently...and after RMA'ing one of them (with a bad core) I got another with the same defect and gave up...I'm hoping its just an issue with XP or something...long story...but I'm still getting better performance with it in single core mode with the second core for physX than I got with my old 8800GTX).

I really enjoyed it, but I had really low expectations. The combat was pretty annoying and I would have enjoyed it better if you could avoid guys. I did like that what amounted to the big final battle (the servers) that you basically had to get the guys to do the shooting for you.

I really liked the design of the main character and I liked the general feeling of the setting...in that regard it felt like they were going for something different; but the story was best ignored I felt (it COULD have been much better...it felt like there was potential there and in it was pissed away in a number of different ways).

Next up for me is finishing FEAR2 I think and trying to actually finish Fallout 3 instead of doing every side-quest and every fun little activity I find...I want to play through the expansions at some point but its rare that I actually mess with the main quest anymore (and I keep jumping back and forth between it, Farcry2, and various other stuff...along with occasionally loading up Crysis to fuck around with the AI).

Glad you liked it!

When people complain about having to fight the bad guys, I wonder if some might be thinking they have to defeat all the guys. I seem to remember it was pretty clear where you had to get them all, and in most places, even if a school of guards come rushing in, boss-battle style, you could usually just wall-run and jump past them all.

No, it would really annoy me in spot where, say, you had to climb up a pipe and hope the SWATs you just ran past didn't shoot you dead while you were doing it.

I was hoping to go for the test of faith achievement, but by the last level was thinking "FUCK IT", picked up one of the weird tiny machine guns they carry and started massacring them all.

It is one of the most exasperating games I've ever played. They could have used police/gunfire to massive dramatic effect if it was a bit more sparing, but instead I thought it was like going to the theatre and having an actor in the next seat scream the word "DRAMA! DRAMA! DRAMA!" into your ear every few minutes.

I got the pure map pack and all was forgiven. Not just aesthetically beautiful, but feels more skill based, so if it goes wrong I know it's my fault rather than the game just taking a chunk out of my ass. I woke up this morning actually craving more time with those maps :)

I should really try the DLC. The combat infuriated me, too, but I came away from the game really excited about the possibilities, even if they weren't fully realized (to my eyes). There's greatness in there, certainly.

I am just about to start playing this game in earnest as part of my Metacritic challenge.

Not sure if I am going to be able to beat it though, I tried it at someone's hosue a long time ago and didn't get into it.

It has some terrible spikes in difficulty and what-the-fuckness, but pushing through it, and then never having to play it again ever, has its charm :)

It has some terrible spikes in difficulty and what-the-fuckness, but pushing through it, and then never having to play it again ever, has its charm :)

Alright, time for my patented English stiff upper lip and start playing it. Form the comments I've seen on this forum there sounds like there is some beauty in there.

Alright, time for my patented English stiff upper lip and start playing it. Form the comments I've seen on this forum there sounds like there is some beauty in there.

Pro tip: don't go for the pacifism achievement on hard.

Agreed. It felt like I was banging my head against the wall at times and I actually ended up not finishing the game on hard due to me trying to get the pacifism trophy. Haven't actually played since 2008 but I started it up a couple of weeks ago and I'm playing it on easy and am now going for the pacifism one.

In my opinion the game has some really amazing sequences where you'll be running over rooftops or through buildings or whatever and it all seems really seamless and natural, then you get forced into having to wander around an area crawling with enemies and having no chance of getting through without taking them all out first. :frusty:

I think that if I try to go for the hard finish I'll play it as much as a shooter as possible and even then it'll probably still be difficult.

I love/hate this game...

Agreed. I did these two things on separate playthroughs, did pacifism on normal and then shot people on hard.

Pretty bummed about the news but I suppose there is hope that someday there will be a sequel. I am a big Mirror's Edge fan.

I for one, enjoyed it. The combat was definitely the worst part of the game, but the flow of free running was so amazing that I could look past it.

The

train

scene and the

sliding down a glass skyscraper while a helicopter shoots at you

scene were both so mind blowing to me that I basically had a heart attack while playing. I wish they could make more, but profitability is ultimately more important than originality and fun. :getmecoat