Sign in to follow this  
ThunderPeel2001

The official 'Welcome N0wak to London' thread

Since N0wak is now here in dank, miserable, overcrowded London, perhaps other Thumbs members in the local area might like to meet up for one evening?

I've never (knowingly) met any of you, so it would be interesting to put faces to the names and say hello. I've no idea where any of you are (Miffy, I'm pretty sure you're in Canada... not sure about the rest of you), so please speak up if you think you'd be interested.

What does anyone think?

Yay!

I recently moved to Brighton so I might be up for a London meetup. Although to be honest Brighton is so fucking awesome that I haven't been tempted to leave it for anything yet.

So, erm, come to Brighton and beers are on me. :shifty:

yeah come here it's better, you can stay in marek's new flat ;)

we can have a bbq or something :)

or i guess we could maybe go up to london

London: Ben, Alex, Lawrence, Bob

Brighton: Me, Yufster, Marek, Ginger, Danjw, Nick and errr maybe even kenty if he hasnt gone back to canada by then

I'm not saying I'm against going to sunny Brighton, if that's what people are up for (maybe we could have two outings(!)), but isn't it...

London: Ben, Alex, Lawrence, Bob, N0wak, Me

Brighton: Me, Yufster, Marek, Ginger, Danjw, Nick

Ie. Six for six?

I suppose Brighton is a lot less hectic... once you get there :shifty:

I count for two.

London could be fun. It has a lot more possible venues than Brighton, and I wouldn't mind a change of scene. On the other hand my funds are a bit stretched at the moment.

I'm good with anywhere: London, Brighton or both. I will go down to Brighton a few times this summer (probably for "Flash on the Beach", maybe for "Develop" and certainly for tourist day tripping and photo taking.) I'm too new to suggest venues since I don't know any but I'm available anytime with at least a day's notice. I'm flexible.

(I will also be going to Bath and Edinburgh, but dunno if there are any Thumbers in these places).

There aren't any Thumbers up in Glasgow, are there? Well, that's where I'll be for nine months starting from September. I will be taking a trip to that general area at some point (I have relatives in Hastings), and would love to down a pint or several with fellow Thumbers. But that's months from now.

I don't think we have any Thumbers north of the border, but I have a few friends who are doing their first Edimborough festival shows this year. If you are there check out The Umbrella Show, and Holland and Hume and Someone Else

probably for "Flash on the Beach", maybe for "Develop"
I'll be attending some of the post-conference activities for both of these (and maybe Develop itself also) so let me know when you're around. :)

Right... I'm going to make a bold and decisive decision. Prepare yourselves. :knoweverything:

How about those who can make it meet up not this weekend, not the next weekend, but at some point during the weekend after that... in London!

What does everyone think?

How about those who can make it meet up not this weekend, not the next weekend, but at some point during the weekend after that... in London!

Should be good for me. I'm thinking of going to Edinburgh next weekend but am waiting on confirmation from a friend. He is awfully slow and every day he takes the fare goes up in price :( He might suggest the next next weekend so we'll see, but for now it's good for me.

I've looked at the cost of going to Edinburgh from Paris and it made my eyes bleed : 375 € by plane and around 250€ by train but with the dangerous train network you schmucks have, I don't know if it's worth it.

There's every chance I will be in london again next monday eve, if anyone fancies a meet in the west end.

I've looked at the cost of going to Edinburgh from Paris and it made my eyes bleed : 375 € by plane and around 250€ by train but with the dangerous train network you schmucks have, I don't know if it's worth it.

It's extremely rare for a train to crash over here. I've used them all my life without so much as a near miss. However, when they do crash, it's epic :tdown:

It's extremely rare for a train to crash over here.
:eek:

Surely you jest? I remember a year ago when a train on my line came off it's rails. Afterwards the newspapers reported the passengers saying that, since nobody died, the the trains were actually pretty safe.

As far as I'm concerned, a train has two functions: Move forward and stay on the fucking rails!!!

It's one of those things that's pretty insignificant statistically (of course, lives ended are not). Kind of like terrorism in the US - everyone is shit scared of being blown to smitheereens by some flavour of fundamentalist, but statistically you have a much greater chance of being shot dead by the police over there, or struck by lightining.

Rail crashes happen, and they shouldn't, but they're not that common relative to the number of train journeys that occur every day.

Though both are statistically pretty safe, I'd rather be in a crashing train than a crashing plane.

Right... I'm going to make a bold and decisive decision. Prepare yourselves. :knoweverything:

So, uh, this weekend is coming up mighty quick. Anyone free? I might have a bbq with other internet people on Saturday but my Sunday is free.

Um, I got confused by all the 'not the next Saturday's, but if anyone arranges a Thumbs meet up and posts a date, time and place, I'll try to make it!