Sign in to follow this  
Spaff

Dawn of War beta

I've just been playing the beta of this game and its fucking good.

Not good in the sense that its breaking new ground, has new ideas, is well polished etc. Good in the way that its really god damn fun to play. Also its violent

it is of course based on Warhammer 40k, the tabletop game played by geeks everywhere, which means it holds much more appeal for me having been a fan when i was younger than someone who gives not a shit. Having said that the unit animation and design plus the action physics etc is bound to make even a games workshop skeptic turn and look.

The gameplay mechanic is lost somewhere between starcraft and warcraft III, but is more or less identical to one of those two at all times. Except the resource stuff - which involves capturing different strategic points etc in order to get a bigger army.. somewhat based on the army points system from the table top game. That and you can zoom in and watch all the troops go for it.

Playable races are nicely customisable (you can 'paint' them ¬ ¬) and all work differently.. The orks weapons and upgrades are even localised: 'more gunz' 'more choppe' ' biggest gunz' 'rokit' etc hehehe

you can upgrade squds on the fly with reinforce options and also customise them to have heavy weapons of your choice...

It really is beautiful to watch the huge-ass, flaming-footstep-leaving-behind, Eldar avatar impaling a troop on the end of his sword and flinging them across the map :D woooo, or the chaos blood thirster being summoned and then ripping troops limb from limb...

i mean.. Just look at the war!! .. just look.

http://wh40k.mednickonline.com/images/ss/Mayhem1.jpg

http://wh40k.mednickonline.com/images/ss/DoWP_Warboss.jpg

winner

anyone on the beta want a game? (you get it from file planet subscriptions)

First really good Warhamer 40k strategy game? Let's hope so.

Gah! it fucking pwnz!

I need someone to sort me out with a beta account.

Must... play.. more..