Nachimir

Professor Layton and the Underpant Pillage

I don't have much to add concerning this games other than it has the ability to make you either feel very stupid or very clever, sometimes at the same time.

I like the criticism Nachimir had towards the story and I agree with all of it, but I suppose I was thinking the game was more of the Saturday morning adventure fare, sort of like Tintin, where revelations about freaky or ridiculous situations are handled without much concern.

I started Diabolical Box and I can already see the puzzles are connecthing to the storyline much better, although I don't know if that was a must.

Yeah, it was awesome. No need to dig up this old thread just to say that, though.

http://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7722

The Diabolical Box was better in some ways, worse in others. I disliked that the games had become both less inventive and tricky, yet also way too difficult in ways that were not fun (huge math puzzles). It felt like a rehashing of the first game.

Now, the THIRD game, The Unwound Future, is where it's at. Fantastic integration of puzzles and story, a great narrative, interesting characters. So far it's the pinnacle of the series, though with the Specter's Flute and Mask of Miracle on the horizon the series can still grow.

Personally I'm looking forward the most to the crossover with Phoenix Wright. If they manage to marry the gameplay of the two games in a decent way, it has incredible potential.

That's good to hear that Unwound Future is still going strong, I was wondering myself if there were only a finite amount of these type of brain teaser puzzles that you could do before they get repeated over and over except in different arrangements. Also I see they add more puzzles per game, further milking the amount.

That's good to hear that Unwound Future is still going strong, I was wondering myself if there were only a finite amount of these type of brain teaser puzzles that you could do before they get repeated over and over except in different arrangements. Also I see they add more puzzles per game, further milking the amount.

I think the marriage of insane brain teasers and the charming story made UF my favourite, really.

I just stopped in this thread to say: the thread title may be the most brilliant thing I have seen today. :yep:

Even though there are many things making The Diabolical Box not as good as the first, I must say I still really enjoyed myself. The biggest problem was just the plot of The Diabolical Box. It was more

ridiculous than the robot notion of the first game. I think even if everyone in Folsense was high on something like carbon monoxide (since they don't name which "hallucinogenic gas" it is), there's no way everyone could have a consistent vision of the same spectacular town AND keep the Facade up for 50 years.

I know Professor Layton still is very whimsical, but they do make an effort to tie up every loose end in the game with some sort of reality based explanation.

The only other insane part was

that apparently if you drop a chandelier, even a very large one, within the huge castle it resides it, somehow it makes the whole castle collapse from the top down down.

What the hell?

Also as everyone stated, the puzzles this time around were definitely given much more of an attempt to integrate them into the storyline, which I appreciate. But also as everyone stated, they were definitely much easier. Even the really hard puzzles like the marble jumping puzzles, somehow I got through them by just chance without having to look up cheats. Some puzzles I'd mess up by overcomplicating them with precedence from The Curious Village.

I guess it's a tradition for all Layton games to end the very last puzzle with some impossible ass sliding game?

Anyway, I don't have the third game yet, but I'm looking forward to it, hoping it will at least be more grounded than this one and have more varieties of puzzles since the production values seem to be increasing per game and I am just in love with the animated cutscenes and characters.

You have the completely normalized Professor Layton Experience. The expectancy is that you will massively enjoy the third title, which is the best one right now.