Cigol

Diablo III

YES!

I'd convinced myself that there's no way the splash page was for D3. Come back from a day of music festival and there it is, with many a screenshot greeting me and confirming what I dared not hope. It looks a bit more cartoony, yeah, but I couldn't mistake it for any other game. Totally made my day. Thanks, all.

I never really ever "got" Diablo. I thought it was boring, so I never really sprung a huge penis tent when Diablo 3 was mentioned.

However.

After seeing the gameplay video, it struck me that this game may be a highly concentrated concentrate of almost everything I loved about playing WoW with other people.

Remind me how playing the previous Diablos off and on line was with regards to keeping a character, leveling up, loot and all that. How close to today's MMORPGs was/is it really?

I've always referred to D2 with the nickname 'Collect 'Em All 2'. It's basically an action RPG with huge amounts of randomly generated stuff to collect. The action is easy to do with just the mouse and hotkeys, and it's totally addictive. Slaying monsters gives a visceral thrill and questing for better loot never was quite as alluring.

You say Diablo is a contentrated version of Wow? I say Wow's a watered down homeopathic destillation of Diablo.

I didn't like Diablo II as much as the first one -- at some point it got boring for me and I don't even remember if I finished it. But Diablo III jumped straight to the top of my most anticipated games list. I'm not much of a multi-player gamer, though, so I'm just hoping for an awesome single-player experience.

Actually, my first reaction was that it looked like Silverfall on the PC.

ugh... tried to play that game yesterday (because of the D3 game movie).

it sucked, titan quest was much more interesting.

but it did silence my appetite for hack and slash games for the moment.

Just installed D1 and DII on this computer for the first time. Felt like one of those important moments in a PC's lifespan. The first Diablo install. Of course, I then had to go to Blizzard's website to get Vista compatibility patches...

Hell, at least Blizzard is making the effort to get the patches out. Good on them for that. I'd forgotten how hard the Butcher was if you weren't using that "close the door and shoot him through a gate" technique. Just got my ass handed to me before I'd even done my first save. Ah, memories.

Ahh, the old door-closing bar-shooting trick. If you don't do that, you'd best leave the Butcher until you've finished the first four levels and then return. He's one tough beast to kill on level 2!

Butcher.gif

I remember playing D1 again a few years back and it struck me how incredibly slow you moved there. You get used to it, but after D2 that's a huge thing.

I just found out my old pal* Leonard Boyarski, from Interplay/Troika, is lead world designer on this game. If I hadn't already decided to get this already, I certainly would've now.

This account from a failed adventurer sounds like The Butcher to me...

Cain's journal is a nice retelling of the story from the first two games as well.

He was this bloated thing...and ...and there was blood, and bodies – everywhere I turned, some new horror confronted me. And suddenly he was on us; we couldn't shake him. Jeremy fell first, and then I ran. I admit it: I ran, left my fellows to die. I couldn't face that thing; it was all just too horrible. He hit me with a glancing blow as I fled, but even that was enough to take my arm almost clean off. I had to have a healer finish the job....

What kind of adventurer is named Jeremy?

A dead one?

His full name was probably Jeremy Pwnzyoo.

This account from a failed adventurer sounds like The Butcher to me...

The guy in the header graphic looks not unlike Marius in my opinion... interesting.

Having played nothing contemporary on my PC now for a good while, I'm actually quite excited about the prospect of Diablo III. I just hope it follows WoW's example and doesn't have particularly demanding hardware requirements.

I thought the guy in the header was an even older Cain...

It sounds almost like the interviewee is Farnham from D1. Memory may be failing, but wasn't he short an arm?

I think the whole of Tristram, bar Cain, was slaughtered at the start of Diablo 2. The guy is probably either Deckard Cain or the "author" Abd al-Hazir.

You mean the old guy with the beard who is introduced in the movie, the gameplay video and production stills as 'Deckard Cain', who is featured on the page with and reading from 'Deckard Cain's Journal' with the voice of Deckard Cain from Diablo 1 and 2?

Yeah, that's probably Deckard Cain yeah.

He's totally Horadric!

Horadric is such an awesome word.

Horadric.

Well, the guy I was guessing at the identity of was the one who was interviewed in the journal, who is described as having ventured into the Tristram Cathedral with a party and losing an arm in the process. Cain has never lost a limb, near as I can tell, and would have been too old when Diablo began to emerge anyway. The first place my mind goes then, is to Farnham the drunk from the first Diablo. Problem is that I can't remember if Farnham is an amputee or not. He definitely babbles about the Butcher and running from his party though. I'm pretty sure Farnham was killed after the Wanderer left Tristram, but I also don't really see anything aside from "after Diablo began to emerge" to place a time when that was supposed to be written, so it could still be him.

As for all the evidence towards Cain being Cain, yeah I agree. I was just trying to say it as politely as I could.

Horadric is awesome. I hope the transmuting cube is still an artifact in D3.

I don't know whether the interviewee was Farnham. It most definitely wasn't Cain, and most probably just a random character we've never heard about; one of the legions of adventurers to visit Tristram. With a friend called Jeremy. Farnham was great; can't a feller drink in peace?

I also loved how in Starcraft, the Protoss Arbiter would seem to pick up a signal from Sanctuary of Griswold getting all excited about HUGE MUSHROOMS :tup:

What? I never caught that? Now I need to go back and play more Starcraft as well...

I gotta say, I'm really happy with what Blizzard is doing right now. The only way that they could make me any more satisfied with their current efforts is to announce that they have a separate team working on an RTS Warcraft IV. No matter how much I love the story of Warcraft, I just don't give half a damn about MMOs. More Warcraft story in a game I'll actually play, and every box on my Blizzard wishlist will be checked off.

They still have one unannounced game in the works. Their job page suggests that it is a "next gen MMO". Here's hoping for a Planetside style World of Lost Vikings Starcraft!

The problem with a Warcraft IV is that they'd have to do World of Warcraft 2 after that. Progressing the storyline would have the side-effect of making everything happening in WoW obsolete and therefore less interesting. They've placed the universe in a tricky situation, really.

But frankly, I've had enough of Warcraft for a while. The franchise doesn't feel very fresh or exciting anymore, unlike Diablo and Starcraft, which both had some 8-10 years rest and are reinvigorated =)

I do completely agree with you, Miffy, that MMO's just aren't that exciting in the first place. I love how Tycho put it when walking around in WoW: I wish they'd make a game out of this. MMO's just don't satisfy that peculiar gaming fancy in a way that singleplayer games do. They feel shallow and uninteractive in terms of environments and setting. But that's going a bit off-topic ;)