Cigol

Diablo III

As I said, credits is where I (by default) say I've "beaten" a game. Badfinger, you're saying I haven't "finished" a game, and I agree with you. You can beat a game without finishing it. That is exactly what I've done. I've beaten a game when I've seen the narrative through to its conclusion. I've finished a game when I've exhausted the gameplay content. Some games have no narrative and thus cannot be beaten. Some games are ONLY narrative and are therefor finished the second that you beat them. You take issue with me saying that I've finished Diablo 3. I never said I finished it. In fact, I believe that game to be un-finish-able. Randomly generated content means you cannot exhaust it, so the best you can hope to do is beat it.

Twmac, I do allow for some exceptions in my definition of "beat" as "seen the credits" (I mentioned Red Dead Redemption not being beaten until you do that post-credits epilogue) and that could conceivably stretch to include Nier, Eternal Sonata, and Dark Souls, but I am not actually sure as I haven't played any of those. From what I understand of Nier, it would fit because the narrative adjusts itself on a second playthrough and it actually takes multiple playthroughs to see the whole story. From what I understand of Dark Souls, it wouldn't fit because while you see new enemies and such, the narrative is unchanged. I may be wrong about Dark Souls; again, I haven't played it. Eternal Sonata I have no idea about, even anecdotally, and so won't speak to it. If the narrative is different and dependent on multiple plays, then it would not be beaten until you've seen that. That said, I generally don't make time for that kind of game just because I'm busy and want to play more things, not the same thing twice (kind of that "a game" vs "THE game" distinction. I don't want a THE game). I hope that makes sense. 

Patch 2.1 (pc) really sucked me back into this game with the launch of seasons. I really enjoy the "fresh start, race to the top" aspect and have put way too much time into it. Sadly, my season 1 demon hunter died last night to a nasty waller pack that I just could *not* get away from, but I'm looking forward to getting back into the mix this weekend.

Anyone else playing hardcore seasons?

Twmac, I do allow for some exceptions in my definition of "beat" as "seen the credits" (I mentioned Red Dead Redemption not being beaten until you do that post-credits epilogue) and that could conceivably stretch to include Nier, Eternal Sonata, and Dark Souls, but I am not actually sure as I haven't played any of those. From what I understand of Nier, it would fit because the narrative adjusts itself on a second playthrough and it actually takes multiple playthroughs to see the whole story. From what I understand of Dark Souls, it wouldn't fit because while you see new enemies and such, the narrative is unchanged. I may be wrong about Dark Souls; again, I haven't played it. Eternal Sonata I have no idea about, even anecdotally, and so won't speak to it. If the narrative is different and dependent on multiple plays, then it would not be beaten until you've seen that. That said, I generally don't make time for that kind of game just because I'm busy and want to play more things, not the same thing twice (kind of that "a game" vs "THE game" distinction. I don't want a THE game). I hope that makes sense. 

Okay, Dark Souls II falls into the Diablo category, it is safe to say it is beat. Eternal Sonata - there are simply things you cannot do mechanically until the second playthrogh so I am going to stick with 'beat' for that one.

Nier, damnit, always Nier that comes back to haunt me. I completely agree with you. But, but, but, given that the storyline is complete and the second play through is clearly defined as playthrough+, would you agree that this works in the same way as Diablo or Dark Souls except that instead of it being narrative exhaustion it is a mechanical exhaustion?

Patch 2.1 (pc) really sucked me back into this game with the launch of seasons. I really enjoy the "fresh start, race to the top" aspect and have put way too much time into it. Sadly, my season 1 demon hunter died last night to a nasty waller pack that I just could *not* get away from, but I'm looking forward to getting back into the mix this weekend.

Anyone else playing hardcore seasons?

I'm sort of tempted to, although I think I like the idea of it more than I would like actually doing it. Not least because I don't have the time to make it worthwhile. I do want an excuse to try Monk again, because unlike all the other classes I just totally bounce off Monk.

I was the same way with Monk until I figured out you can draw mobs to you and then light them on fire so they start chain-exploding. I really dig that specific combination of moves.

I was the same way with Monk until I figured out you can draw mobs to you and then light them on fire so they start chain-exploding. I really dig that specific combination of moves.

Unfortunately, they removed the chain reaction part of that rune in patch 2.1.  I really miss it, there was nothing like going right at a mob of like 80 guys, hitting one with Exploding Palm and then focusing attacks on it until it dies and explodes, and the chain reaction kills most of the mob and leaves the ones left standing prepared to explode when they die to keep it going

Nooo!

I didn't know about that change as I am playing mostly on the Xbone version right now. I like the controls a little better on console and wish they would add controller support to the PC version.

Picked up the Ultimate version of this for the PS4 for the lady as a Christmas gift. We already own it on PC, but I bounced on this so hard when it was released. Like hated it, biggest disappointment of the year for me gaming. But the lady loves her Diablo, and was disappointed I would play with her (which is how much I didn't like it, I'll usually play anything she wants to play).

I had heard a bunch of people say they ended up liking the console version better than the PC version. And so far I agree! Playing couch co-op on the same screen with action rpgs is the best, and so few support it. Plus a controller just feels right with them, even if KB/M is more robust. I feel very disconnected from these games just going click-click-click-click.

I feel super dumb.  So this is my second go around with Diablo 3, have probably put 40ish hours into it between back when it launched and now.  And I just learned that you aren't restricted to choosing one power from each category, that there's an option in options to let you pick multiple powers from a category if you want.  That was always one of the things I thought was terrible in D3, that they restricted build design so much. 

Hahaha. To be fair, that's more their fault than yours. That shouldn't be the kind of thing you hide in an options menu...

I remember that being quite the revelation to me, too.

I feel super dumb.  So this is my second go around with Diablo 3, have probably put 40ish hours into it between back when it launched and now.  And I just learned that you aren't restricted to choosing one power from each category, that there's an option in options to let you pick multiple powers from a category if you want.  That was always one of the things I thought was terrible in D3, that they restricted build design so much. 

That is great to know!!  As I'm making my way through the story for the first time, I'm just taking whatever upgrade comes with each unlock.  Once I get to the adventure mode, though, I'll definitely be using that tactic.

Currently suffering the story mode being way too easy on the initial hardest difficulty, so I'm doing my best to mainline the maps and just head for the beacon.  I haven't used a health potion in a few hours of gameplay and I'm only at the end of Act 2.

Yeah, its pretty crap that at least Master difficulty isn't unlocked from the get-go.  We had no problems at all on Expert, and just blew through the whole campaign in a few evenings.  The entire idea that some difficulty levels should be locked until future playthroughs feels archaic and useless.

I'm not entirely sure what I think of Adventure Mode.  I mean, its fun.  But the progression curve feels ridiculously slow.  Like, almost impossible to feel, its so slow.  I've found myself more interested in leveling up other classes than playing my level 70 Barbarian, as that since of progression is there for them. 

Yeah, its pretty crap that at least Master difficulty isn't unlocked from the get-go.  We had no problems at all on Expert, and just blew through the whole campaign in a few evenings.  The entire idea that some difficulty levels should be locked until future playthroughs feels archaic and useless.

I'm not entirely sure what I think of Adventure Mode.  I mean, its fun.  But the progression curve feels ridiculously slow.  Like, almost impossible to feel, its so slow.  I've found myself more interested in leveling up other classes than playing my level 70 Barbarian, as that since of progression is there for them. 

*All my input is PC related*

But on a new character you are able to jump to at least torment 4 from the start.  And there is a hint that sometimes comes up in the load screens saying to enable "Elective" mode

I dont know what you mean by progression is slow in adventure mode?  

(to anyone who hasnt played since RoS) The loop in adventure is to do bounties (specifically x2 blood shards & Act 1 for a RRoG) and maybe get some drops while playing...but also get the Tyreal bounty chest that usually contains a legendary.

More importantly you'll get rift shards which go to the semi-endless portals where you have extremely dense levels to fight through and after enough enemies cut down you summon a named portal boss.  This boss then usually drops some good loot and a chance for Greater Rift Shards which enable a timed semi-endless portal (these are different difficulties independent of your Torment difficulty).  Same gist, push through and kill the named guy - who drops legendary gems & gives option to upgrade said gems or up your portal difficulty

Personally I think Adventure Mode is great, when i first quit D3 the only option for getting great loot was to start a specific quest, get 5 stacks of Nephalm bonus, and go fight a named guy (eg Butcher runs).  Now in RoS I can start do an Act worth of bounties pretty quick or go wild in the rifts.  Coupled with Loot 2.0, enchanting, and Blood-Shard gambling I have been able to gear up my main with much better success than ever (barring Auction House use)

Starting new toons is also nice in Adventure mode since you can immediately start in Rifts and gain several per run.  I have always found the most enjoyment from Diablo in the loot grind and increase of difficulty...not the leveling.  Making the jump from Torment X to Y and facing familiar-yet much more difficult-enemies is really satisfying.

As to the console version, there are some differences in the way loot drops, some of the stats, and enemy density that is tuned for the controller experience.  I have a co-worker that is many-many hours in (like upper 900 paragon) and the damage output he is doing simply dwarfs even the highest PC leader boards.  There is also some hacking that happens on console where people get equivalent of D2 white armor and are able to artificially gear others & pass insane GRIFTS

Oh, I can see how Adventure Mode is really compelling to a lot of people, and I'm still messing around in it. But I think these kind of endless grinds in various games really just end up clicking with someone or not, sometimes for not very clear reasons. Like Mass Effect 3 MP was nothing but grinding for better gear, and I loved every minute of my hundreds of hours I put in it. I'm just not sure that the D3 grind does it for me. But I still want to play more, so maybe it does. Some of the unique effects on the high level sets and legendaries sound super fun.

We still haven't got a greater rift key to drop. I'm definitely curious about that.

I had seen Blizzard say that they lowered enemy density on consoles, which makes some sense. The camera is zoomed in some, which that alone could make density a problem. Then there's the questions about controller vs mouse speed in attacking. Getting up to Torment 1 is when enemy density and toughness really started to feel right. I would love it if density were higher though. Legendaries don't appear to be account bound on console the way they are on PC (assuming that's still a thing). We've got three people playing, so it's nice to be able to hand down equipment between our characters who've outgrown something.

Okay, both the lady and I have really warmed up to the endgame content in D3.  The set bonuses, unique properties on legendaries and legendary gems can pretty radically change your playstyle compared to how its played before that point. 

A sizable patch came out yesterday. Only played for a bit last night, but liked the few changes I saw. Act I hub in adventure mode is now usable (jeweler and enchanter moved up by blacksmith). New goblins are cool.

For PS4/X1 players, all the Season 1 and 2 legendary items are just available as drops now, since we don't get seasons.

the new Treasure Goblins are fantastic.  I got ~30 emeralds & bunch of other (less useful to a monk) ones from one Gem goblin

and the shard goblin drops ~300 bloodshards which is a nice treat from the usual 80/rift yield

Me and Wrestlevania did a Rift run and happened across 6-8 different goblin kinds right next to each other. The whole dungeon floor was littered with goodness. I smashed a Bloodshard goblin and was instantly at 450 bloodshards! There were so many goblins I was like a dog not knowing which squirrel I had to chase. CHOICE PARALYSIS!

thats come up twice for me in the last few nights...its so exciting.  if youre with people who know its possible works a lot better corralling the gerblins and not letting as many escape.

the pub group last night did not have this skill & half got away.  The bloodshard & gem dropper are the most useful, i would trade topaz 3:1 to get emeralds at this point

Are you guys playing this on PS4? I was regularly playing with a group of co-workers but they all ended up moving on and I just wasn't interested in playing solo by the time I got to paragon 80 or so. I would love to jump back in though so if anyone is on PS4 add me (xXZeusthecatXx)!

Zeus, do you know if you can you mix local and online? I think you can. If so, we're on PS4. I don't remember my username off the top of my head, I'll add you next time I'm on.

We've seen one of those goblin packs, that was a blast! And then, shortly thereafter, we got our first Vault portal from a lone goblin. Holy shit, walked out of that place with 75 Million gold apiece. We've had a handful of ancient items drop for each of us, definitely an upgrade over regular legendaries.

I think I'm only two pieces short of having my Barbarian equipment complete, which is exciting. He's probably not perfectly optimized, but lord is he fun. Got a third Raekor's last night and can infinitely charge now. That's just stupid fun. Probably need to start working on actually leveling up some legendary gems now.

Yes, I'm pretty sure you can mix local and online. I think last time I played I was on Torment II difficulty so hopefully I'm somewhat on par with where you are at. I hope to catch you on and look forward to playing.

We've been running a mix of T3 and T4 with our mains, but if you're not up to that, we can drop down or run our alts (who aren't quite at 70 yet). We've geared up a bit quicker than is probably normal, as we carry an extra local character with us sometimes, which gets us more legendaries, gems and materials. Our daughter is kind of meh about Diablo, but she plays with us once in awhile, more to play something with us than because she cares about D3. So we've leveled up a few different characters for her just by dragging them around so she can hop on when she wants and play whatever. Also useful if any of her friends are out and want to mess around without having to start a new character.