Cigol

Diablo III

All I can see is the grind, the minor increases and decreases in stat points and texture swaps. It makes me feel empty and disconnected. It makes me feel like a monkey pressing a button that may or may not give me a peanut at some point. NO THANKS.

I'm not done yet with playing this game (though I won't be able to play after tomorrow because my internet connection will become unstable again as I move my PC upstairs), but want to tag into this with the following: a few days ago I caught myself very drawn to playing World of Warcraft rather than Diablo 3, because it offers so much more things to do outside of combat. In WoW it feels totally valid to spend a lot of time in cities or doing inconsequential side-things. It's a lot broader an experience. Conversely, I think I would have enjoyed more stuff to do in Diablo that wasn't fighting. It may be silly to compare the games, but I can definitely see myself getting tired of grinding this game, whereas WoW by its sheer size and breadth always lures me in with new things to do and just hanging around.

"though I won't be able to play after tomorrow because my Blizzard's internet connection servers will become unstable again as I move my PC upstairs"

Took me (and presumably thousands of others) several attempts and many minutes of waiting to get into the servers today. I'm glad I don't care too much because it would drive me mad otherwise.

I get the criticism with regards the grinding but I've got to say I still enjoy going through the motions now I've got the cutscene skip down to a fine art. It's silly but I can't help but love watching those health bars gradually drop. I agree It's a shame they've not really done a lot with the formula though. I hold out hope for some exciting expansion packs in the future - particularly as I've now hit the level cap and am too scared of hardcore mode - but I suppose they will be just as conservative, in the same mould as existing content.

I spent my final day with Diablo 3 for a while getting some fun achievements. Such aaaaas

doing a 1-hour speedrun of Act 1 on Normal! That was a pretty fun adventure, running past everything. I had about 8 minutes to spare at the end, but I really thought I wouldn't make it. Especially getting lost in a dungeon creates a lot of terror and excitement. Then I went for the secret 'cow level' of D3, Whimsyshire! Getting all the components took some grinding, but it felt really rewarding. The level itself was a fun nod to the 'rainbow controversy' of a few years ago, but in itself a little disturbing and surprisingly bland in terms of gameplay. Next up I did some runs through the act to get a few rare dungeons and locations and events to spawn.

That was pretty fun, and it gave me a nice sense of closure. I'm ready to move on to other things again for the while being.

Like proceeding with writing my goddamn book!

Damn you Canada Post. My copy is not here. Unless it shows up tomorrow (and I have never received mail on a Saturday) I will be Diablo-less on my day off Sunday. Bah. Next Saturday I will lose a day to the game, I swear.

Miffy, I regularly hear you complaining about post and getting games late. Is it an idea to start buying them in stores on the day they're out? That has literally never failed to get me what I want, when I want it.

I heard that it can take a while because all of Canada is under 10 feet of snow, an if you buy something online, it has to be helicoptered in. Ordering online is a convenience here. It's a necessity to not die, there.

Anyone wanna be my battle.net friend? I just finished normal so I'm going kinda slow. colinp#1709

Miffy, I regularly hear you complaining about post and getting games late. Is it an idea to start buying them in stores on the day they're out? That has literally never failed to get me what I want, when I want it.

Do you? I can't remember the last time I ordered a physical copy of a PC game, which is where I do most of my gaming. I only did so with Diablo because I have a thing about wanting to have all of my Blizzard games lined up on a bookshelf. Last summer there was a postal strike, which lead to my school registration getting all kinds of fucked up and likely some venting on my part in the "Life" thread, but I'm not sure what else you may be referring to. At any rate, the only convenient store for me would be a gamestop, and they have made the experience of buying a game from them so inconvenient and irritating I'd simply rather wait for Amazon to deliver a copy of something than go into their store.

I'll admit I haven't been following the Diablo 3 news as rabidly the past week or so, but is the commodity market going to be down until that big patch hits that changes how crafting works? I kind of wish I could just buy some gems right now. And I'm not bitter but it does kind of suck if they make everything a lot cheaper after I've already dropped way too much money in to jewel crafting. Oh well.

Changes how crafting works? Tell me more!

Oh that's not as exciting as I had hoped. Oh well.

Reducing the gem cost makes no sense to me whatsoever, since gems drop rather frequently and you can reuse them, so that you'll only ever need a fixed set of gems of any kind for the entire game.

Is the wand rare, or is it legendary!?!?!?!

Pretend it's both!

I actually though it could be both, imagine how disappointed I am now..

Reducing the gem cost makes no sense to me whatsoever, since gems drop rather frequently and you can reuse them, so that you'll only ever need a fixed set of gems of any kind for the entire game.

The higher end gems are crazy expensive, however

Not to sound like a total noob, but how do you upgrade the blacksmith to level 5? It seems to require some a collection of mystical artifact pages, which I have seen drop exactly 0 times. Did I miss something, or does that happen further along in the game?

Possibly something that doesn't drop until the next difficulty level? I didn't see any Pages of Blacksmithing/Jewelcrafting until I hit Nightmare difficulty.

Possibly something that doesn't drop until the next difficulty level? I didn't see any Pages of Blacksmithing/Jewelcrafting until I hit Nightmare difficulty.

Seriously? Ugh.

Pages don't drop until Nightmare, Tomes of Jewelcrafting/Blacksmithing drop in Hell, and then there are Tomes of Secrets in Inferno (I assume). I've maxed Shen for Hell, and am close with the blacksmith.

You can buy them for peanuts in the auction house, also drops from the next-difficulty-level can be found in the last act of the one prior to it. I found a lot of them, more than I'll ever use and not just because it's criminally expensive.