Cigol

Diablo III

The more of Diablo III I play, the more I think the skill system is actually pretty brilliant. The one main thing I miss at this point is the ability to decide "I'm going to be a master of this particular skill" and pump a lot of points into it. There's no real equivalent to that anymore--the rune system only has a bit of that to it--and I wish there were, but I can live with it.

Anyone had their account stolen yet? Even some with the authenticators, apparently. Looking like a session hijack vulnerability.

But I love this game. Thought it might be boring, but got a guest pass and was hooked! Really enjoying it, especially since I discovered you can reprogram the fast bar with your fave spells.

If you meet me in Diablo III, ask me what time it is. If I don't respond "time to die!" I'm a hacker who has hacked my account.

I'm finding it really hard to play this game alone. Not difficult, but just a bit boring. Right now I have a lot of friends playing it, so it's usually not a problem. But I think i'll be moving on fairly soon.

The more of Diablo III I play, the more I think the skill system is actually pretty brilliant. The one main thing I miss at this point is the ability to decide "I'm going to be a master of this particular skill" and pump a lot of points into it. There's no real equivalent to that anymore--the rune system only has a bit of that to it--and I wish there were, but I can live with it.

I actually do like the skill system itself, I just don't like how I'm limited to so few of them. If I could just have two more slots, I'd have all of the skills I want. I especially don't like having to unlock skill slots. Ughhh.

And I'm aware that's a stupid thing to complain about. If I weren't so used to have it all available to me all the time, like in other games of its ilk, it probably wouldn't even occur to me to be upset. I had the same problem when I went from WoW to Guild Wars. They're trying to do different things, but I'm so used to the one way of doing it that the other makes me angry.

That aside, however, I do miss what you're talking about quite a bit. If I want to beef up my barbarian's leap, let me. I want... MORE CUSTOMIZATION. There aren't enough choices in this game. That's its biggest problem, in my eyes. I don't necessarily care about stat points per level, as I mentioned in an earlier post, but I like the talent tree system in these kinds of games. Mrrp.

The Gargantuan makes me laugh - more than a few times I've changed my mind about where I'm running or whatever, and I hear an enquiring grunt from him; he has a few other sounds that they've crafted in incredibly well that drop in at exactly the right moment. Anthropomorphism does the rest!

I actually do like the skill system itself, I just don't like how I'm limited to so few of them. If I could just have two more slots, I'd have all of the skills I want. I especially don't like having to unlock skill slots. Ughhh.

And I'm aware that's a stupid thing to complain about. If I weren't so used to have it all available to me all the time, like in other games of its ilk, it probably wouldn't even occur to me to be upset. I had the same problem when I went from WoW to Guild Wars. They're trying to do different things, but I'm so used to the one way of doing it that the other makes me angry.

That aside, however, I do miss what you're talking about quite a bit. If I want to beef up my barbarian's leap, let me. I want... MORE CUSTOMIZATION. There aren't enough choices in this game. That's its biggest problem, in my eyes. I don't necessarily care about stat points per level, as I mentioned in an earlier post, but I like the talent tree system in these kinds of games. Mrrp.

In case you haven't noticed this option, turn on Elective Mode in the gameplay options. It allows you to associate any skill with any skill slot, rather than needing to stick to one skill from each category.

In case you haven't noticed this option, turn on Elective Mode in the gameplay options. It allows you to associate any skill with any skill slot, rather than needing to stick to one skill from each category.

Yeah, if I hadn't already found that, I actually would outright hate the game.

Run nothing but the three ultimate skills and Wrenching Stomp on Barbarian, every day.

I can see the design brilliance of it, but it still bothers me. Every single possible skill and kit combination has already been foreseen by Blizzard and tested to death, so there's no real sense of discovering a build and perfecting it, just falling into one of the roles Blizzard has made ready for me at its table. Nothing really wrong with that, but it does kind of kill longevity.

I can see the design brilliance of it, but it still bothers me. Every single possible skill and kit combination has already been foreseen by Blizzard and tested to death, so there's no real sense of discovering a build and perfecting it, just falling into one of the roles Blizzard has made ready for me at its table. Nothing really wrong with that, but it does kind of kill longevity.

I'd be surprised if that were actually the case. The number of total possible combinations of skills and runes must be astronomically high.

I'd be surprised if that were actually the case. The number of total possible combinations of skills and runes must be astronomically high.

Yeah, it's also worth noting that until recently runes were intended to be very special loot. It was extremely late in development that they became level unlocks for everyone. So even that pretty basic pillar of how the skill and progression systems work came about not so long ago.

Yeah, it's also worth noting that until recently runes were intended to be very special loot. It was extremely late in development that they became level unlocks for everyone. So even that pretty basic pillar of how the skill and progression systems work came about not so long ago.

I think I might have liked that more? I like getting loot that is neat for more reasons than just the stats. Although I've only thus far played up to mid-NM-act1, so maybe once you get to inferno the gear is more interesting? Speaking of gear, stop fucking giving me voodoo masks with strength, erguhruegh.

Also NM is starting to properly scare the shit out of me. I don't think I'm going to survive much longer. D:

HELP.

I keep meaning to post in this thread, but then I get distracted and go do something else, like play Diablo. I've sort of accepted that Blizzard's burning focus goes into phenomenal designs (and the polishing of these), everything else being subservient to that. I care enough that I find it disappointing, but the terrible writing and story and lore stuff doesn't bother me at all beyond that. It's not what I play their games for. So yea, I really like the skill system. Just enough abilities under my fingers to do fun things and few enough that there are tough choices as to what skills you want equipped. I do hope in the future that you'll be able to mod your skills in new ways. I'd love to be able to link skillstones together in a certain way, like just have that one extra effect or even a new one altogether. I do miss the set items. I know they're in the game, but there seem to be very, very few. I've never seen one in the 15+ hours I've played.

So yes, I'm enjoying the game, more so playing it co-op. Playing with thumbs, finished normal mode with Wrestlevania (in my heart you were there too, dibs :chaste:), and Cigol too, but on a different occassion. I'm now working my way through nightmare and there's been some pretty fun mini-bosses. I've already died a whole bunch, mostly because the monsters hit so goddamn hard. :grin:

A quick Google search (very quick, so it's probably not entirely accurate) implies that sets only come from crafting?

EDIT: Partially true, it looks like. Up until you hit max level (so, I assume, Inferno), you can only get the items via crafting. At that point, they'll start actually dropping for you.

So each difficulty is unlocked from a complete playthrough of the one bellow it, and this is considered part of the end-game? That is one hell of a grind. I think I may be just about done with Diablo.

So each difficulty is unlocked from a complete playthrough of the one bellow it, and this is considered part of the end-game? That is one hell of a grind. I think I may be just about done with Diablo.

Yep, and there are also level requirements, it's 25 for nightmare, 50 for hell, and 60 for inferno. I beat nightmare at 46 and couldn't go to hell so I had to do the stupid Azmodan leveling thing to get to 50. That is something that deffinitely needs to get fixed, it's stupid. I don't see how internal testing didn't see it and had Blizzard had a real beta instead of of a demo this and some other things would have for sure been found. Obviously every Diablo game has been about farming and finding ways to do the least possible work, but some of the things in the game should have been seen beforehand. I guess I shouldn't be too mad because I'm in inferno and pretty soon will be able to do the stuff.

It no doubt has to do with some balance changes they've made. Design is typically done in Excell, and then iterated on in development tools. Sometimes the big picture pieces aren't properly integrated into the tools, so doing something like making a certain level a little bit easier by reducing enemies, doesn't raise a red flag that you no longer have enough XP to get to a desired level. It's hard enough that players can pick up and play other players games and get XP off the critical path of their game, but there's also the variable of repeating your own runs, or more likely wearing bonus XP gear.

The level lock is almost certainly there for balance reasons. They don't want to widen the bracket of that difficulty setting. But it's a bit messy that they put such a giant grind wall up in front of people playing the game properly.

If so, that really undermines the main argument I keep hearing about how Blizzard's system of recombinant linear unlocks have made branching skill paths obsolete. If the current system is in place more to facilitate decision-making rather than to balance gameplay, I wonder what inspired Blizzard to leave the honored skill-tree with respec behind. I mean, they don't innovate for the sake of innovating, not anymore, right?

In a tirade earlier today, a friend of mine said, "You don't have characters in Diablo III, you have equipment." My gut reaction was to disagree, but it's pretty much true. Once you get past the class selection screen, you're pretty much done customizing your character, especially since you can literally change your skills any time you want, as long as they're not on cooldown.

In a tirade earlier today, a friend of mine said, "You don't have characters in Diablo III, you have equipment." My gut reaction was to disagree, but it's pretty much true. Once you get past the class selection screen, you're pretty much done customizing your character, especially since you can literally change your skills any time you want, as long as they're not on cooldown.

That's kinda been the source of my apprehension about D3. It's frankly amazing that, as a dude who beat D2 9 times, I've gone a week-ish after D3's release without buying it. Really though, from what I've heard, I feel like waiting on Torchlight 2 may be the way to go for me. I'm sure D3 is a fine product and all, but I'm not convinced that it's for me. If the price goes down or I get it as a gift (seems like the kind of thing my stepdad would send to me sometime, he likes to send me stuff to co-op with him as none of his professor buddies play games) I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but I think that Diablo 3 and I may just have different feelings about what a Diablo character should be. No hard feelings, Blizzard, but Runic seems to have my back now.

I mean, I'm still having a lot of fun, right? It's a very well-made product. It's just a shame it's held back (in my opinion) by some of the wacky design choices Blizzard has made.

If so, that really undermines the main argument I keep hearing about how Blizzard's system of recombinant linear unlocks have made branching skill paths obsolete. If the current system is in place more to facilitate decision-making rather than to balance gameplay, I wonder what inspired Blizzard to leave the honored skill-tree with respec behind. I mean, they don't innovate for the sake of innovating, not anymore, right?

I think the goal was to eliminate that decision paralysis that often occurs in Diablo II where you just don't really have a very good sense of what your skill and attribute points will mean long term unless you figure a bunch of stuff out or find a build online, in which case you yourself aren't making many meaningful decisions in the first place. The intended experience of Diablo II is obviously that you just upgrade yourself as you go along and make interesting decisions all along the way, but it becomes pretty obvious as you play the game that doing so has the potential to waste a ton of points due to a lack of information or foresight. This is particularly true with attributes. For any given character build, there is clearly a pretty objectively "perfect" attribute allocation, depending on the needs of the skills and equipment you have, so if you want to actually do the best thing for your character, once again, there aren't a lot of meaningful choices for you to make.

To combat that they could have done something with a similar system and the ability to respec more easily, or something, but I think they wanted a system that felt more native to the ability to try things on the fly. I think where they landed is really smart and a pretty innovative take on skills.

I definitely do miss being able to pump a bunch of points into skills that I know I want to dedicate my character to, but I give Blizzard credit for trying something different and sticking with it.

That part of the game, much to my surprise, is the one about which I have the fewest complaints. I have a bunch of OTHER problems with the game that it's too late at night for me to start getting into now, but they're more tonal than anything else.

So, does anyone know what Blizzard's revenue model is with Diablo 3? Will it release a bunch of expansion packs like with World of Warcraft?

So, does anyone know what Blizzard's revenue model is with Diablo 3? Will it release a bunch of expansion packs like with World of Warcraft?

As far as I know it will. From what I can tell the real money auction house will just be making enough money for them to cover the costs of having it in the game, which is, having the game be always online.