Cigol

Diablo III

Really? I need to look harder. Most of it seems overpriced.

presumably the market is seeking sustainable prices right now, which means you're going to see a lot of things which are way too cheap, and a lot of things which are way too expensive.

Playing it last night as a Wizard, I thought.. "Man, they have Magical Pants and whatnot, why not just give a freakin' Wizard hat to cover up that dreadful hair?"

And then I found a Wizard's hat of Magical powers. And dye to make it blue.

That was the point at which I will never stop playing Diablo 3, ever.

I got legendary loot. FUCK YOU ALL!!!!

My barb is rocking a legendary mace, shield and helmet. *smug*

Fuck it, maybe I'll just give it a shotLOLNO

A UK friend of mine got it from Blockbuster for 35 pounds. Worth a shot if you're really interested.

Where is this legendary gear coming from?

I got one in The Tower of the _____ (the second one in Arreaat), and two from High Heaven. I've actually gotten 4, as I got The Executioner, a 2h axe from Act 2, but I got rid of that fairly quickly.

(This was on Normal, mind.)

A UK friend of mine got it from Blockbuster for 35 pounds. Worth a shot if you're really interested.

Cheers, I'll pass one later! (if the blockbuster I suspect somehow still exists still indeed exists)

I accidentally caved in and bought it and I'm reminded of how utterly dull and boring these kind of games are at low level when you're not playing hardcore, even in multiplayer. Moreso, now that it's limited to only four. ):

Oh, and Blizzard's storytelling is as wonderful as ever. :fart:

John Walker, one of the RPS chaps, calls the game "a hollow experience". I'm lead to wonder if Walker intentionally chooses to "review" genres he doesn't like. I don't think I've seen a complimentary Wot I Think from him ever.

I'm definitely enjoying the game more than I thought I would. I've "beaten" the game by this point (ie. seen the whole story), and now it's just the number upgrade cycle for me, and eventually trying to win a Hardcore game through all four difficulties. I get how it can be boring (and D2 was dull as dust to me), but calling it hollow is just... I don't think he plays ARPGs for the right reason. (Though that in itself is a tenuous idea.)

As for Blizzard storytelling, let's just say my friend and I correctly guessed every single story beat and were wanting to kill Leah by the end.

They still do incredible cutscenes though.

E: Also, Dominic Keating voices the Templar, so who cares how good the game is.

Edited by Orvidos

I used to see interviews with KG and Jim asking about why John seems so cold and bitter, and they would just laugh it off. He is a little hostile at times, but he blows everyone else out of the water when it comes to facing off critics-of-gaming-as-a-whole with objectivity and reason.

As far as D3 goes, I'm enjoying the Hell out of it. Just checked out the AH for the first time, and now my DPS is huge. Should make the grind through normal a little less tedious.

I don't understand why Blizzard continue to spend money on writers. Their dialogue and VO is beyond bad. It should have it's own genre.

Hollow sounds apt to me. It's very clear at every moment that it's an entirely mechanical experience driven solely by its well-timed and tuned reward system. There is no sense of place or character or personality.

More than once I've found myself saying "Oh my god shut the fuck up" aloud at my monitor when the dialog kicks in. The writing is abysmally stupid.

It has the trappings of an RPG, but it's really just whack-a-mole with randomized loot. It has me in its grip anyway, but it's definitely hollow. I expect to get quite a few more hours of entertainment out of it, but there will be a point when I hit a wall and realize I don't care about getting yet another pointy hat with +1 something-or-other, and my lack of investment in any other part of it will leave me no reason to continue.

My monk has gained 20 levels so far. Playing with a friend is surprisingly fun, even though I'm painfully aware that I'm just left-clicking on enemies until they stop existing in hopes for some good loot. So yeah, I can see why someone would describe this game as hollow – hell, I might describe it that myself – but I'm still going to finish it (though, most likely only once for now). I enjoy becoming more and more powerful fast.

The best fun i've had is with Patters. We pulled two huge groups of enemies, and while patters was fleeing (thanks) he managed to pull an extra elite group on top of us. funtimes were had:)

I'm enjoying it more as things get harder. Really looking forward to the harder difficulty levels!

Calling it hollow at normal levels can be understood. But once it gets more difficult you actually have to strategize to get out of a battle alive. That's where the depth of the game comes to the surface. I'm also quite interested to see how the PvP pans out.

Been enjoying my games with the idlethumbs crowd. Good times. It's kind of fun having like 10 different friends' games to choose from.

Hollow sounds apt to me. It's very clear at every moment that it's an entirely mechanical experience driven solely by its well-timed and tuned reward system. There is no sense of place or character or personality.

More than once I've found myself saying "Oh my god shut the fuck up" aloud at my monitor when the dialog kicks in. The writing is abysmally stupid.

It has the trappings of an RPG, but it's really just whack-a-mole with randomized loot. It has me in its grip anyway, but it's definitely hollow. I expect to get quite a few more hours of entertainment out of it, but there will be a point when I hit a wall and realize I don't care about getting yet another pointy hat with +1 something-or-other, and my lack of investment in any other part of it will leave me no reason to continue.

What I don't understand is how is this different from every other ARPG? It's how the genre works. Click, loot, compare, rinse, lather, repeat. Maybe some have deeper stat or skill systems, but in the end it's all in the name of loot and exploding monsters. And don't even try to tell me there's an ARPG with good story.

As for Blizzard storytelling, let's just say my friend and I correctly guessed every single story beat and were wanting to kill Leah by the end.

the worst example of this is when Emperor Hakan II warps in and tells you that he knows the true identity of Belial.

:finger:

The best fun i've had is with Patters. We pulled two huge groups of enemies, and while patters was fleeing (thanks) he managed to pull an extra elite group on top of us. funtimes were had:)

I'm enjoying it more as things get harder. Really looking forward to the harder difficulty levels!

Three actually.

So, I have inadvertently created a small problem for myself.

Last night, I joined a game with a couple of other Thumbs who were a good 7-8 levels above me and much further through Act II than I was. They were also halfway through a quest I had no clue about.

So I fired the game up again earlier and now I'm still in the middle of this quest I joined in with, my old quest has gone, and I can't seem to find anyway of picking what quest I'm doing.

Anyone know how to choose the quest you want to follow? This seems an incredibly fucking stupid design decision on Blizzard's part. :(

In the main menu screen under 'resume game' there should be a 'choose quest' button. From here you can select the quest you were on previously along with the last checkpoint you reached in that quest.

After you've logged in, when you see your character in the middle of the screen there's a "change quest" button on the left. You can only select quests that your character has actually started, so if you've pulled a few levels with your friends you'll probably be doing underlevelled content if you swing back, but soon enough you'll get to stuff that makes sense for you.

Alternatively just scan your friends list every time you come online and jump into games with people who are near the level you want to play at, that's mostly what I've been doing.

In the main menu screen under 'resume game' there should be a 'choose quest' button. From here you can select the quest you were on previously along with the last checkpoint you reached in that quest.

Ah, thank you. :)

I was expecting to find quest choices inside the in-game quest log, like Diablo II. :getmecoat

Alternatively just scan your friends list every time you come online and jump into games with people who are near the level you want to play at, that's mostly what I've been doing.

Call me mentally unwell, but I'm quite enjoying Diablo's pulpy nonsense.

(Thanks though.)

the worst example of this is when Emperor Hakan II warps in and tells you that he knows the true identity of Belial.

:finger:

SPOILERS

The best part is when we first get introduced I think he's a bratty little kid and I just write it off as yet another Child King With Too Much Power.

Then he suddenly appears in the godsdamned sewers for no reason and tells you that if they were suspicious he had sided with you, they'd kill him.

Oh yeah, you're not the Prince of Lies at all, are you.

Blizzard. :violin: