Cigol

Diablo III

Crushed Act1 earlier today. I was playing a lady Demon Hunter. Maybe it's because I had already run through the first part during the open beta weekend, or the fact that I only use my mana to spam the dash ability over and over. Regardless... I cruised through it. At this rate I'll actually be waiting for the new Torchlight to comes out.

Any Thumbs have a US guest pass to donate? I want to see how it runs on my MacBook before I lay down the $.

Even planning on installing Windows 7 to see if it will run better! :eek:

I gots one far ya. Sending it via PM.

Those playing in the EU, check your account settings. I think mine was trying to log into the US which was causing trouble for me.

Also, 1 invite still left.

For those with regional confusion issues, Blizzard's installer download page keeps resetting to weird, wrong editions. Unless I change the setting (and click the save button that doesn't) I get Dutch Starcraft 2 and US Diablo 3.

For what it's worth, when everything works the way it should it's a pretty solid game. Very much a Diablo game. Addictive, great looking and, even though I'm sure they're being partly serious, I like the camp storyline somewhat. Oh, yeah, and it's addictive. It has very much has that "one more level" feel to it.

When it doesn't quite work and it lags, well... that's just really shitty. Almost unplayable.

Crushed Act1 earlier today. I was playing a lady Demon Hunter. Maybe it's because I had already run through the first part during the open beta weekend, or the fact that I only use my mana to spam the dash ability over and over. Regardless... I cruised through it. At this rate I'll actually be waiting for the new Torchlight to comes out.

To be fair, Diablo is basically all about that second and third playthough, and then trying to get those done on Hardcore. And of course the eventual expansion.

Act 2 is significantly harder than Act 1, and yeah as it's been said Diablo is intended to be played through multiple times on the higher difficulties. My Friend is almost done with the game and is only level 30, 60 is the level cap.

Wow, this is pretty fucked up. I bought the game yesterday and can't even install the damn thing. I keep getting a weird 'corrupted file' message when it tries to install the patch. Despite being somewhat mild about there being technical difficulties, even though a company the size and patience of Blizzard has no excuse for rushing a product out of the door, it's infuriating.

What's problematic is that I can't even find an official solution to this problem. The only hint that I've gotten is that I should remove the 'corrupted' file (updates MPQ) and try again. But this doesn't help anything. Right now I've entered into the complete absurdity of downloading the digital version of the game (7 gigabytes, which will take all day if not longer), despite having no idea if this will solve the problem.

And I am not happy about the prohibitive 'always online' bullshit either. Where I am now I happen to have only the weakest of internet connections, so I may not be able to play a singleplayer game. It's ludicrous.

I had that: delete the file and then run the launcher in admin mode.

Then, deactivate admin mode once installed, because that causes another issue when you launch the game!

Bliz games are so much fun to install.

Once while patching WoW, i ended up with a US version of the game, just out of the blue.

Edit: and don't forget to check your region when you finally do get to the character screen.

Also: This http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/05/15/default-is-for-suckers-how-to-unlock-full-skill-tree-customization-in-diablo-3/

I'm at work, so i haven't tried it.

Well, it runs but not well. I have to use 800x600 with everything on low. Framerate is passable, but the text is a bit blurry and small. Despite all that I might actually end up buying the full game and playing because damn it it's Diablo 3! So many nice memories flooded back while playing and clicking and listening to the music!

Remember the little brat Wirt? Man, I really loved the original. And 2... I really need to get a new computer.

Well, it runs but not well. I have to use 800x600 with everything on low. Framerate is passable, but the text is a bit blurry and small. Despite all that I might actually end up buying the full game and playing because damn it it's Diablo 3! So many nice memories flooded back while playing and clicking and listening to the music!

Remember the little brat Wirt? Man, I really loved the original. And 2... I really need to get a new computer.

I'd recommend holding off in that case. The number of enemies you get in an encounter like the four pillars before Leoric is about a third or a quarter of the swarms you get in later acts. As well as the later class abilities causing a major ruckus and VFX whirlwind.

If you can stomach it, don't let it stop you, but just be aware you'll probably be dying to chug a fair bit.

Don't do it. I got oblivion in the hopes that my old min spec machine would be bearable. It wasn't. I cried. In warcraft i used a macro to reduce my settings to below supported standards. It still chugged when the exciting bits happened (hey, i missed my last stand again because there was an extra visual effect).

That said, there is an option in Diablo 3 to set the settings ridiculously low. Might be worth a try if you haven't found it yet. I just came accross it last night while making sure everything was set to its highest setting.

Yeah, it defaulted to having that on... Trust me, I've got EVERYTHING on low!

And it still chugs, especially in the Cathedral with those tight hallways and heaps (relatively speaking) of monsters.

Alas, I think you might be right. Must be better to hold off... But man oh man I got really excited walking around by the graveyard where it was running smoothly with all the wide open spaces and I found a rare dagger! A rare dagger!! Damn it, I need a new computer. :frusty:

Rodi: I had issues installing the game from digital download too and they might be related. For me it looked like the downloader had stalled out at 100% so I closed it. What I didn't realize is that it was in the middle of stitching together the downloaded files from their little torrent chunks into the final installation files.

If you have some large tome.mpq.part files sitting around, then fire up the downloader again and just let it run to completion. It'll sit at 100% for a while, but if you look in explorer you should be able to see it constructing the final files - you'll notice some tome.mpq files continuously growing in size.

Once it's done it will automatically launcher the installer shell. A confusing thing for me is that it was possible to launch the installer manually, even if the downloader wasn't actually finished, which led to confusing errors about invalid files.

Hope that's helpful.

Does this game make anyone else's PC run really hot? It's a little weird that it's more taxing (heat wise, not performance wise) than ArmA II/DCS A-10 for example? Not sure I understand that...

Class wise I've tried Barbarian (which I played in the beta) and Wizard... Wizard is pretty naff in the beginning, found it a bit like playing Dota2 ranged but with no decent abilities (so far).

tried this. it seems to work OK, but the worst part is that it looks like Elective Mode doesn't unlock all of your skill slots right away; at least for me, slots unlocked with level progression as normal. (that is, until you level up to the point where you'd normally unlock the category, you won't be able to assign skills to 1/2/3/4.)

Elective Mode doesn't unlock all of your skill slots right away

That is correct, skill slots are level locked. You'll have to make do until you unlock them all.

I hate to be a complaining git, but last night I had lag in my single player game.

I'm looking forward to the online aspect; I don't play online in games an awful lot but this seems like something that could bring me in. Maybe if I'd played Diablo 2 the same thing would have happened years earlier. It's weird though, when server issues are affecting my single player experience.

Then again, I think Blizzard will sort it out and we'll all move on, but still.

Enjoying my Monk an awful lot so far. Not quite getting to the levels of fun I had with Torchlight but I suspect it's imminent.

I hate to be a complaining git, but last night I had lag in my single player game.

you're not alone. I got to the end of the first act yesterday afternoon, and I had really bad sporadic lag for the entire

Butcher fight

. that fight is super latency sensitive, and I died three times because of the bursts of lag.

I suddenly don't want to play Hardcore, like, at all.

you're not alone. I got to the end of the first act yesterday afternoon, and I had really bad sporadic lag for the entire

Butcher fight

. that fight is super latency sensitive, and I died three times because of the bursts of lag.

I suddenly don't want to play Hardcore, like, at all.

Uh, yeah, so basically because the connection at work isn't very good, I can't play during a break at work on my laptop. Because the lag is so bad.

What the hell? I had made my peace with the always-on DRMness of it all, but this is ridiculous. I should be able to play this game when I like. What a joke.

so I looked at the Auction house, and there's super cheap items there. I got a level 26 dagger with a stupid amount of stats and good damage for 1500 gold, which is basically nothing.