Cigol

Diablo III

I played a few levels of Wizard in a public game then quit. There isn't really anything here for me apart from the cosy familiar sound. Feels overly streamlined but with a billion interface elements punching me in the eye (fuck off achievements). Would be fun with a real crew I suppose, for a little while.

Yea im just not sold on the look or feel of this game at all. This is coming from a hardcore diablo 1 and 2 fan, and a big starcraft 2 player. I'm just not feeling it this time around

(fuck off achievements)

In my humble opinion, this genre is better suited to cheesemints than most. O:

Mostly in the form of challenges, like "reach max level with X class in hardcore mode", etc. I dunno!

As a guy who could not get into diablo 1 or 2, but somehow torchlight grabbed me, I enjoyed this. I think my brain just changed between when the diablos came out and torchlight hit, really can't explain why that happened. I also did play D3 with friends so that helps a bit. I think monk/barbarian are my favorites at the moment. I don't really mind the streamlining of stats to be honest.

I'm worried about the fact that the single-player was barely playable for me, due to lag. :fart:

I'm worried about the fact that the single-player was barely playable for me, due to lag. :fart:

Agreed. I have a monster connection, thanks mostly to an abusive relationship with my ISP, and I was getting serious latency spikes every few minutes. I know it's a stress test and all, but I don't remember it being this bad back when Diablo 2 was being tested.

Still, it seemed as though the bandwidth it hogged was the only ambitious part about Diablo III. The strict unlock path and anemic gear chase leave it with less player agency than certain entries in the Dungeon Siege franchise, and no amount of production values can make me comfortable with that. Torchlight 2, Path of Exile, and Grim Dawn are all better options, in my mind. If someone buys me a copy, I might play a bit, but otherwise I'm off the Blizzard wagon.

I was able to improve my performance by lowering the settings to low, which I shouldn't have to do, but it helps some.

I just don't see how any amount of lag is acceptable in a single-player game. But I guess this'll all be a bit better for me when they get EU servers up for the full release.

Still, it's annoying having your game interrupted by a sudden drop in WiFi connectivity. I'd tolerate it if I were playing it with friends, but not in single-player..

Hey yeah well you know it makes the game better overall guys so stop complaining, right.

:fart:

In my humble opinion, this genre is better suited to cheesemints than most. O:

Mostly in the form of challenges, like "reach max level with X class in hardcore mode", etc. I dunno!

I don't mind achievements in theory, but this seems like the kind of game that just throws meaningless 'dings' at you every few minutes. It massively cheapens any real substance the game presumably has hidden somewhere.

I don't mind achievements in theory, but this seems like the kind of game that just throws meaningless 'dings' at you every few minutes. It massively cheapens any real substance the game presumably has hidden somewhere.

Fair enough. I haven't played it, so I can't really comment. I liked the ones in Torchlight well enough.

When i was able to get online i didn't have much trouble with the connection bar a few blips here and there. I could clearly see one of my teammates stuttering around at one point though. I played WoW for long enough to be wary of Bliz's servers.

I only saw a lag a couple of times, most of the time it was completely smooth for me. Really only ever had issues logging in/starting a game.

For me it was almost unplayable. There was a delay between a projectile hitting zombies to zombies actually getting hit and losing hit points. Leah was rubber banding all over the place, lagging behind slow-mo, then suddenly speeding up to be way ahead of me. Sometimes I'd get into a fight and it just stopped. I could hear a couple of zombie grunts, hit sounds and then when it decided to run it again at normal speed I was dead.

All this while playing by myself..

I had lag when I tried to play it without downloading the whole thing (when the downloader/installer said it was "playable" but not "optimal". That was a bad idea.

When I let it download completely, I never experienced any lag.

I had a lot of fun punching stuff as the monk. I'm definitely getting this game eventually, possibly earlier if someone else picks it up to run through it with me. I do not share most of the reservations people seem to have here, not even about the art style.

The beta was great fun! Definitely going to buy this game now.

Were the enemies in Diablo II significantly tougher than in Diablo III? Or did I just accidentally wander into an area filled with higher level baddies at the very beginning of Diablo II? I remember that there was some ass handing in a burning village and that I never played the game again after that.

I didn't have time to play very far into the beta, but everything did seem much easier than in Diablo 2.

Either they've made the difficulty curve more gradual this time around (in which case things will get tough in due time), or I'm going to need to play it on a higher difficulty... I don't really mind either, but I would like to know which it is.

I had lag when I tried to play it without downloading the whole thing (when the downloader/installer said it was "playable" but not "optimal". That was a bad idea.

When I let it download completely, I never experienced any lag.

I've reverted to buying boxed copies of very large games once again lately, because I'm on an incredibly slow (~1.3Mbs) and unreliable connection* at home. I very much hope that having the whole install footprint on-disk from the start is going to make these latency problems a non-issue for me... ;(

That still won't get around the inevitable cavalcade of patches, but I hope Blizzard take to parcelling those into "download first" updates rather than streaming (at least) content improvements as you reach the affected areas.

* I haven't even pretended to try the beta because of how crappy my connection is.

I didn't have time to play very far into the beta, but everything did seem much easier than in Diablo 2.

Either they've made the difficulty curve more gradual this time around (in which case things will get tough in due time), or I'm going to need to play it on a higher difficulty... I don't really mind either, but I would like to know which it is.

Yeah, I only managed to play about 35 minutes of it myself but I felt much the same. I'd like to know what difficulty I'm going to have to have it on, unless it can be changed midstream.

I also had a lot of problems with the game if I didn't let it download fully first, but frankly that could be due to how lagged the servers were in general. It's not surprising that streaming content was causing issues given my download speed from them was atrocious to begin with and the EU servers were causing me lag on the menus. I had to play on the American servers just to make the game work.

Overall it seemed decent, but chances are I'll be getting a review copy anyway. If I had to pay full price for it myself (which it's possible I might have to, I dunno if Blizzard still has me on their list) I think I might hesitate a little, given what little I got to play of it wasn't particularly "special".

I played the closed beta which I'm assuming is the same as the open beta, and I couldn't really draw any conclusions from it. The difficulty was just to easy, by which I mean that I couldn't tell what the strengths of each class were since all of them could just auto attack everything to death and never be in any danger. Also only having 2 skill slots available makes it hard to get a feel for how some of the classes play. I like the idea of the demon hunters dual resource system, but without being able to try using multiple skills that either consume one or generate one of the resources I can't really tell how the system will play out. The beta was really short in general, I beat it which each class since it took maybe 45 minutes each run, so it's basically a demo rather than a beta. I'll buy it since I really liked Diablo 1 and 2 and have friends that will get it for the same reason. Whether the game is good or not isn't even really important to me, though I'm sure that worst case scenario it's decent. Playing any sort of co-op game like Diablo, Borderlands, or L4D with my real life friends ends up being fun no matter what so I'm sure I'll get my moneys worth out of it.

I quite liked playing as the monk. Seems like a versatile class that can go in a lot of different directions. I enjoyed Diablo 2 and this seems to be a logical sequel (especially looking at Starcraft 2). Blizzard just improves the formula/aesthetic it rarely changes what already works.

The coop was also incredibly fun. And I'm sure the difficulty issues are similar to the SC2 beta which only had an easy option when playing the CPU. I doubt the full release of Diablo 3 will be as easy as the beta generally was. Still it's frustrating that Blizzard does this as it prevents you from fully exploring how the fighting handles.

Wizard Spotlight. Seems to be new.

VgAoVpBohas

"A master of the arcane arts, the Wizard taps into forces beyond mortal ken to bring her foes to their knees. With a powerful combination of offensive and defensive powers, the Wizard is a force to be reckoned with."

"A master of the arcane arts, the Wizard taps into forces beyond mortal ken to bring her foes to their knees. With a powerful combination of offensive and defensive powers, the Wizard is a force to be reckoned with."

I can't wait to hear Remo sing this!

Can we get a Kickstater going to hire that voiceover artist to narrate the new series of the podcast?

I really liked Diablo 1 & 2, but that type of game just fell apart for me with Torchlight. I found I was mindlessly clicking and no strategy was required. I remembered Diablo as more than that, but found I was doing the same thing during the Diablo 3 open beta. Maybe I'm getting to old for these types of games. Now they seem like slightly more interesting alternatives to Solitaire.

My guess is that the two earlier Diablos were just as mindless, but for some reason I enjoyed them then. So for all you who enjoy this type of game, what makes it entertaining for you? Is it the type of game you like to play when you don't want to be taxed too much, or an I missing some aspect of them that makes them fun? Is it the multiplayer with some friends that is appealing?