Cigol

Diablo III

No sequins?! This is bullshit.

Seriously though, I realized the same thing. I came back to review what had happened in Diablo 3 land in the last 3 months, and the whole petty discussion instantly made me sick with the pathetic state of fandom nowadays. Every decision is scrutinized and lamented. You'd almost wish Diablo 3 would just be a goddamn My Little Pony game, for the exclusive pleasure of telling all those fuckers to go fuck themselves.

Imagine how it must be for the D3 developers, being harassed and assaulted constantly by morons. It's almost enough for me to not want to play the game anymore for fear of being associated with that segment of fanbase.

I wish every game was My Little Pony. People pull this crap on every single game ever. It's this whole entitlement complex that seems to grow in size to the point of choking out my faith in humanity.

Another game you see this kind of nitpicking is in l4d. Holy shit. Non stop complaints on the forums over the dumbest shit. In the last patch they added bot zombies for when you don't have a full team. In the patch notes they started using PZ to refer to a play zombie. In the past it was always referred to as SI(special infected). So of course in come threads of people complaining with shit like "wtf valve, wtf is a PZ you all trying to change shit on us wtf! it's SI! Valve can't do shit right! i cant believe they ruined l4d!"

As much of that is me bitching about people bitching, it's really just you'll run into that no matter what, and it's not worth avoiding a game because of it. Just enjoy the game and hope none of them infect you with dumbassery. Though it can be amusing to read sometimes...or horribly depressing.

I'm trying to avoid this thread like the fucking plague, because I don't want to be chatting about this game for the next 2 years, but I can't help myself just this once, honest.

File that female monk post under the Idlebanter using tits to sell your games, because when I saw it I just about constructed an alter to worship whoever had the brains to actually approve that design.

I mean, christ, what an awesome character design and is exactly what I've been hoping to see from a fantasy game for over a decade now; and its coming from freaking blizzard of all people... Hear that Bioware? BLIZZARD has better taste in female character designs then you do, feel the shame.

Anyway, it's awesome and anyone that says differently can fuck off.

Might I add, yay diablo 3; unicorns can be crapping rainbows all over the screen and I'd still be excited.

As much of that is me bitching about people bitching, it's really just you'll run into that no matter what, and it's not worth avoiding a game because of it. Just enjoy the game and hope none of them infect you with dumbassery. Though it can be amusing to read sometimes...or horribly depressing.

It's something I've indulged in myself, though I hated myself when I was doing it then, and I hate myself for doing it now. Either way, the community doesn't really harm your perception of a game if you stay far away from it. I love Harry Potter, but I'll be damned if I can stand the fans. Same with Monkey Island, Half-Life, any goddamn movie...Man. Fans suck.

Same with Monkey Island...

I guess I never thought of Monkey Island as having a rabid fanbase, but now that you mention it, I suppose that would explain the reason I never made the effort to visit any sort of Monkey Island forums, despite being a pretty big fan myself.

Wait, weren't you on mixnmojo back in the day? I thought I remembered you from the Sam and Max forums, specifically? Have I been confusing you with someone with a similar username all this time?

I was a member of the Scumm Bar, and by extension the Mixnmojo and general Lucasarts adventure fan community. Hell, it was how I made it here. Is scummbar.com something that you would consider a "rabid" fansite, or is there a far worse group that I missed out on? Granted, I haven't visited that site since about 2005 (y'know what? I'm going to surf over there as soon as this post is done) but to my high-school aged mind, they never seemed that bad.

EDIT: Hmm... Kroms, I see that you are a heavy contributor to the Scumm Bar nowadays, and may well have been back when I visited there a ton under a different name. I guess I can assume you're not talking about them.

Wait, weren't you on mixnmojo back in the day? I thought I remembered you from the Sam and Max forums, specifically? Have I been confusing you with someone with a similar username all this time?

Yikes, I forgot about this thread.

Yes, that's me alright, but I never really made it over to the Monkey Island Scumm Bar forums. I apologize if I was ever ridiculously rude to you over at the Sam and Max boards, since I apparently grew up on there and it wasn't very pretty.

I remember only using the Mojo boards to ask obscure questions about Loom or other adventure versions, but did not really start checking it regularly until the last couple years or so. But I figured they were always more for general LucasArts adventure game questions and by extension what some of the original adventure designers there went on to do, not really Monkey Island specific.

Fair enough. I don't remember any particular things directed at me, although I do remember that a few forum members over there had some animosity to you. If it helps, I was an early teen at the time as well, and did my "growing up" on Mixnmojo, the Sam and Max forums, and The Scumm Bar. Let us be ashamed of our irritating former internet selves together!

"The gem-to-gem upgrade intent is not to have these huge gaps where you feel like you're lame unless you have level 14 gems in every slot, but as a long term goal for the hardcore min/maxers and PvPers who are going to be playing for a long time and be able to work toward those goals. It's something you can put a little time into just by upgrading the gems you pick up during normal play, so you're constantly able to keep working toward the goal of crafting a level 14 gem. "

19,683 gems to make a level 14 gem, the grand daddy of gems.

Sorry, Chris!

A trifle 20k gems, that sound doable.

Man, I am pumped for this game, after playing Starcraft II. Can't wait to once again have a single guy under my control instead of an army. Could it be because the most enjoyable SCII levels were the ones where you just had a single Ghost that you had to puzzle your way through the level with?

Let us be ashamed of our irritating former internet selves together!

Why does Diablo 3 have rainbows ?!?! :(

Why does Diablo 3 have rainbows ?!?! :(

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

Fair enough. I don't remember any particular things directed at me, although I do remember that a few forum members over there had some animosity to you. If it helps, I was an early teen at the time as well, and did my "growing up" on Mixnmojo, the Sam and Max forums, and The Scumm Bar. Let us be ashamed of our irritating former internet selves together!

It's funny, I'm saved by the fact that I didn't comment on forums much until I was older anyway, and to be honest, this is the first forum I've ever participated in regularly.

As for real life... growing up in Ireland and living in Texas can be nice. Nobody here knows about all the evidence I provided of being a real life irritant self.

Also, I am crazy excited about Diablo 3 also (completely on topic).

Numpad barks confirmed!

About 57 minutes into this extended look at the Diablo 3 beta, they start spamming the demon hunter's numpad barks. Awesome.

EDIT: Also, super worryingly, apparently the game auto-assigns skills and stats as you level. What the hell, Diablo? If I'm not leveling myself and making tough decisions about what to do with my character, a big part of the appeal is gone for me. On the other hand, the monk looks fucking awesome and I really want to play the game as one.

Edited by miffy495

I haven't seen any of the footage and will not do so because I expect to be wholly surprised by everything come 2014 when Diablo 3 hits, but I can still say with 100% accuracy that the game will not autolevel skills, and I highly doubt it will autolevel stats. That is all.

EDIT: Also, super worryingly, apparently the game auto-assigns skills and stats as you level. What the hell, Diablo? If I'm not leveling myself and making tough decisions about what to do with my character, a big part of the appeal is gone for me.

I've not watched the video but I'm pretty sure they're misunderstanding what's going on here. The game may well put in defaults as you level, but my understanding is that your entire skill structure can be changed at more or less any time in Diablo 3. So while you may unlock Skill X at level 11, it doesn't necessarily need to go in the level 11 slot. I think you can pretty much have any combination of skills once you've unlocked them.

You can check out the skill calculator here.

Perhaps. All I know is that I saw "LEVEL 5: SPECTRAL BLADE UNLOCKED" and got really sad. I want my damn skill trees, not just access to things as I level. Meaningful choices, please.

EDIT: Also, it definitely showed stats autoleveling. Maybe they only have that in the beta or something, but I don't get why they would do that even there. From the skill thing on their website, it looks like you get access to a new skill every couple of levels and slot them into one of 6 slots that open up as you level (ie: your sixth slot doesn't become available until level 24). That's not choice, that's inventory management. You still have all the spells, you just "equip" different ones by situation. That doesn't feel very Diablo to me.

EDIT: Also, it definitely showed stats autoleveling. Maybe they only have that in the beta or something, but I don't get why they would do that even there. From the skill thing on their website, it looks like you get access to a new skill every couple of levels and slot them into one of 6 slots that open up as you level (ie: your sixth slot doesn't become available until level 24). That's not choice, that's inventory management. You still have all the spells, you just "equip" different ones by situation. That doesn't feel very Diablo to me.

I dont want to know a lot, didn't watch the video, but reading this just makes me sad... I'm going to stop reading and just hold me tears for when I play it.

So! I've played this beta.

Here's my take on the auto-leveling thing:

Customizability is still there, they just moved it. Instead of staring at a bunch of numbers every time I leveled up, I was staring at my skill set, deciding if I would incorporate the new skill or not.

Here's the example I put in my article:

When I was trying out the Wizard, I was playing him as a typical long range damage dealer, with Magic Missile, Arcane Orb and Electrocute. However, after a while I switched from a wand to a dagger, and I switched my spells to things like Spectral Blade, Ice Armor, and other skills designed for closer combat.

In a way, it reminds me of Bastion, but deeper, where each combination gives you an unique combat feel.

I was skeptical to the new system going in, but I was pleasantly surprised when the slot system gave me the same feeling of carefully considering how to build my character.

There's plenty of little Diablo nerd things that didn't fit in the preview, but do ask me here about stuff.

(PS: The Wizard is kind of a smug douchebag.)

I intend to read your article, but based off of what you wrote here, that's pretty much exactly what I was afraid of. Sure, you still get to customize things, but it seems more like you're choosing a loadout than making any kind of meaningful, permanent choice about how to play the game. I want to feel like my character is my character, not just a thing that happens to be mine for the couple of hours that I have this set of things equipped. To me, it's a difference between choice and meaningful choice.

Did anyone else try out the free weekend? I got a monk up to level 10 and a witch doctor up to level 8-9. It was ok, I was going to start a barb but stopped after a few minutes because I didn't really care too much for playing any more.

I don't really like the art style too much. It can be difficult to see what it going on. The colours all seemed to flat and washed out. The witch doctors flaming bats spell looked pretty janky too. Maybe there was still some placeholder textures going on as the same characters aoe snare thing was very nicely done. The attack sound effects (especially on the witch doctor) got old very quickly. I also completely failed to engage with the story. It could have been an epic quest to find the next quest beacon for all I knew. It's also time to reveal that i never liked Decard Cain's voice. Normal mode (act 1) was extremely easy and this made me pretty nonchalant about checking the blues i picked up. The best fun i had loot-wise was upgrading my blacksmith and playing with that.

For the classes, i found both the witchdoctor basic nukes that i got access to pretty clunky. I never really felt like i was doing much interaction other than lobbing some crap at the mobs. Looking further up the skills tree he has some fun looking stuff though. The monk was much more fun to play. She was very mobile and could zip around the battle in a jiffy and had some knockbacks to add a bit of chaos into the proceedings.

I'll probably skip on this until the price comes down, unless I have some friends to are going to be playing it. Needless to say, it will probably be a lot of fun if you are shooting the breeze on skype with a few peeps.

Edit: boss battle was fun, but it went on too long for a boss with two simple mechanics.

I played the open beta as well, and I'm scared now that this will be a game that I buy because of peer pressure and not because I actually like it.