Nachimir

Limbo Of The Lost: EPIC FAIL

This is just too awesome! It's like one of those pictures where you have to find as many band names as possible. Only in this you have to find the games and movies they have been ripping off.

I think the green anorectic guy from the intro is a poor attempt to recreate G-Man.

I'm crying and I can't stop :)

OK, I take it all back. After watching the ending sequence on Youtube I now realise that the poeple who made this game are comedy geniuses,a lthough maybe not for the reasons they hoped:

JohnLeonard.jpg

I still can't get my head around this. Not least of all the revelation it's not a hoax, and that it's a genuine attempt by real people with functioning brains and stuff. Unbelievable!

It's like discovering evolution for the first time; 'hold on, this is too simple, too obvious. There's got to be another explanation for this, something more profound'. No matter how hard I try I just cannot accept the idea this was a straight case of plagiarism. It just seems too sophisticated, on so many levels, for something as mundane as that.

Epic win as far as I'm concerned.

I was going to post that I thought I was over it, then I went to the Wiki about the whole Limbo of the Lost affair (http://lotl.wikia.com), and my disbelief has been ignited again... The background section has grown - a lot!

I wonder if there were any original backgrounds in there at all!

Couldn't watch the ending video until just now. Brilliant! A part of me now really wants to play this game, if only so that I can be crowned the King of Limbo.

'speak' is somewhat generous for what's essentially a generic statement claiming (ahem, feigning?) innocence. I suppose I'm being unrealistic to expect them to just come out with their hands held up high, big grins on their faces and man up with a mischievous laugh, but c'est la vie.

George_Bush_Holding_Breath.jpg

wringer.jpg

laughing_cow.jpgbush_laughing.jpg

Captain Benjamin Spooner Briggs rolls in his grave!

Really though, can't we do something about these robot swine?

I wonder if the LotL people are back from vacation

Yes they are! Did you not read that? Apparently they came back then made a press release to the effect of "We're as surprised as anyone! It must have been, erm, third-part outsourcers. Yup. We, err, just need to go into the other room for a moment to look for something. Back in a minute" (sound of breaking glass).

Since then it's been very quiet though.

Not entirely new, but a poor soul has been documenting his playthrough of Limbo of the Lost, just finishing last week. So, yeah, apparently the game aspect of LoL isn't up to snuff either. I've got a feeling that the former Mojoers and adventure game fans here will cringe at the illogical puzzles and pixel hunts he endured for the sake of entertainment. I don't think I've seen such a slow descent into madness since that youtube Let's Play of I Wanna Be the Guy.

Not entirely new, but a poor soul has been documenting his playthrough of Limbo of the Lost, just finishing last week. So, yeah, apparently the game aspect of LoL isn't up to snuff either. I've got a feeling that the former Mojoers and adventure game fans here will cringe at the illogical puzzles and pixel hunts he endured for the sake of entertainment. I don't think I've seen such a slow descent into madness since that youtube Let's Play of I Wanna Be the Guy.
Read through the whole thing last night, which took a good many hours. I'd definately recommend this for someone who wants a good laugh and who feels that their Sanity Quotient is a few points too high. Warning: By the end of it, I was beginning to gibber and cackle.

So, I started making a Limbo of the Lost parody game for a demake competition. Got a basic engine (apart from movement, but you can use the arrows to test the crappy walk animations) working. It's in a simple adventure game format, with left-click to interact and right-click to examine, with a few lines spoken by yours truly (hoping to do voice overs for the full version if I have enough time). There's not much to do in the engine test, apart from talking to one of the characters and combining two of the random inventory item placeholders, but I'd love to hear any feedback on the engine itself.

MotM1.png

Download Engine Test (774 kb)

So, I started making a Limbo of the Lost parody game for a demake competition.

Oh man. TIGSource? You got my vote!

Can't comment on the engine though since I'm on a Mac.

Hahaha, Macarena of the Missing! :tup:

Polonaise of the Perdus

Foxtrot of the Forgotten

Bolero of the Bevanished

Samba of the Stranded?

Except that the box art I'm picturing has Amigo lost on an island somewhere...

Mambo of the Misplaced

Salsa of the Strayed

Jitterbug of the Jilted

Dance of the Disoriented

Waltz of the Won't-stop-for-directions

And in a slightly different strain:

Abyss of the Absent

Purgatory of the Perplexed

MotM2.png

I've got the movement system done if anyone wants to check it out (same link). Spent a while building an outline of the items, characters, and puzzles I want, so if this engine is solid enough then it's on to a save system... then building the game itself. My crappy pixel art "skills" would love it if anyone wants to donate backgrounds, characters sprites, or item sprites. From the nature of LotL, I'm not worrying at all about wildly conflicting art styles within the game (as long as they're not direct rips like my preliminary backgrounds).

Oh man. TIGSource? You got my vote!

Can't comment on the engine though since I'm on a Mac.

Aww, thanks, but I'm sure there'll be so many more awesome games. Heck I'm not the only one doing a LotL demake, although it seems like mine is gearing more towards a traditional adventure.

Polonaise of the Perdus

Foxtrot of the Forgotten

Bolero of the Bevanished

Samba of the Stranded

Fandango of the Forlorn

Disco of the Disappeared

Mambo of the Misplaced

Salsa of the Strayed

Jitterbug of the Jilted

Dance of the Disoriented

Waltz of the Won't-stop-for-directions

Abyss of the Absent