Sign in to follow this  
ysbreker

Spore demo leaked

I figured out the problem: I was saving the image files to my desktop and dragging them from there. For whatever reason I had to drag them directly from the browser window.

Damn. I've been saving up loads of creatures in a folder. Wonder if dropping them into a HTML gallery will work...

Someone here must have played Graffiti Kingdom on the PS2. What's it like? How does it compare to the creature creator in Spore? I've just had my attention drawn to it from a comment made on RPS and checking youtube it looks crazy cool;

This passed me by completely.

That's funny, I just started (and stopped) playing it a few weeks ago. I loved Magic Pengel, and kept meaning to play GK. The game itself really isn't great, so I didn't play much (and thus, probably didn't unlock a ton of the stuff in the editor). It's quite hard to use, because you literally have to DRAW each object, and then tell it what depth it should have -- there are NO "pieces" to choose from, from what I saw. I watched the first video you posted, and that made my head explode. I have no idea how they were doing all that stuff (erasing, then putting it back, etc.). So I'm not much help, heh. I'm sure Spore is 1000x easier to use, though.

So the game is out there in the wild. I bought it, but I'm using the RELOADED release with my own CD-Key so as not to feel left out. First reaction is; HMMMMMMM. Very Black & White.

I'm currently in the Civilization stage and it's quite difficult but in an annoying way. Going to play some more. Lots of neat things, but there is a feeling that it's a little too simplistic in places and not abstract enough.

So far it's equal parts great and 'disappointing' but I find you can easily ignore the latter and enjoy the former. I was a little surprised at how relatively rough it was in places, with no narrative or narration for example. The graphics aren't much to shout about either - in fact the engine appears quite basic on an aesthetic level. Anyway that's just me being unnecessarily negative, it hasn't stopped me playing the game. If I had any major criticism it would relate to just how straightforward and simplistic it is. There just doesn't seem to be any real depth to the experience.

To bring up an obvious comparison (in terms of hype), I liked the abstracted personality of my creatures in Black and White. Not knowing how they functioned in finite, simplistic terms added to the magic because lets face it - underneath there wasn't a whole lot going on. But there isn't any magic or wonder with the creatures in Spore - there should be, and there could have been, but there just isn't thanks to the simplistic approach they took.

Kind of. You can download the ISO of the pirated version (RELOADED is the name of the group responsible) but use a legitimate CD key to play it with. No need to use the crack or anything like that, and besides if you did you wouldn't be able to 'go online'.

It'll be out tomorrow in the UK anyway.

The thing that worried me about Spore from the start was that it seemed one part simplified Fl0w, one part simplified Black & White, one part simplified Settlers, one part simplified Civilization, and one part simplified [space game] (I'm not exactly sure what games represent the different stages the best). And as I'm bound to like one or two phases more than the others, I can't help but wonder whether Spore really offers me something new or whether I'm better off with, for instance, Civilization. I mean, does the shape of the creature affect the gameplay later on for example or is it just five separate games in a row?

Yup, that's how it looked to me, too. I'm still not totally convinced by the Creature Creator... *shrugs* I guess I'll have to give it a go, though.

One amazingly annoying thing: Because I bought the Creature Creator, I get the £5 I spent on it off the price of the full game. (I could have even downloaded it early and "unlocked" it today, too.) But EA is selling it for £40, even with my £5 discount that's £35 just for a downloadable version.

Amazon.co.uk is selling it for £27... including delivery.

What a con!

It's also interesting to note that the only review on Amazon.co.uk calls the game "tedious" and gives it one star!

Does Spore = Bore? (And will any reviewers make the same lame joke?) Time will tell...

I mean, does the shape of the creature affect the gameplay later on for example or is it just five separate games in a row?

From what I understand each phase does influence the next. For instance if you are a big spiky carnivore in the creature stage and play aggresively, then in the village and civ stages the other beings on your planet will be scared of you and be very defensive and uncooperative.

I have a feeling the Spore will have some initial dissappointment, but then paradoxically turn out to be a slow-burner. Fingers crossed.