Sign in to follow this  
ysbreker

Spore demo leaked

Where did you get the full version from? The EA Store just says "pre-order" :(

C'mon, use a little initiative please.

Looks like a hack to add in 2/3's of the missing creature parts, not unlock the full game.

cyclodon.jpg

He'll just have to accept the fact he wasn't created by a loving god.

Well now I want to get the game just so I can make him a friend who will give him a hug.

Actually my method was very legal :yep:

Direct2drive are offering the UK release as of now, the EA service (which I recommend you stay clear of) won't be active until later tonight I believe. Strange that huh? D2D you do have to buy the full pre-order of the main game in order to get the money back off the full game, on EA's service you get a coupon so you can buy it later.

Well now I want to get the game just so I can make him a friend who will give him a hug.

One step ahead of you!

cre06822f96smlip3.jpg

I downloaded the trial earlier and had a play about. Really should give Will Wright and crew more credit; they know they need to make Spore work well on older machines and duly the creature editor worked fine on my laptop. :tup:

So I had a play about, though I'm not very creative with this sort of thing. I made a sort of hammerhead shark that walked on land, though it's a little frustrating that you can't contour and extrude surfaces to make things like fins. (It's not apparent if you can, anyway.) Then I made a monstrous alien crane fly, which looked properly nasty when it laughed.

As I said, though, nothing very exciting. So I didn't save them or take any pictures. I think I'll install the trial at work too though, as my new workstation's a new Intel quad core, 4GB RAM, 8600 GTS-sporting beast of a machine. Plus I also think I'll be a little more inventive when my brains a bit more engaged... ;(

C'mon, use a little initiative please.

Lol. Is it possible for you to write anything in a non-condescending manner?

Cigol: What's so bad about EA's service? Do you need to install a load of crap software or something?

For those who are interested, you can unlock the full demo for £5 (the cost of which is then given back to you if you buy the full game when it comes out)... So, provided you're planning on buying Spore, it's essentially free... without the need for potentially dodgy torrents that don't actually completely unlock the demo.

"Launch the game and you will have [less than] 75% of the creature parts. It is unknown whether these are all of the parts that come with the bought version of the Creature Creator [it's not] or if it is the result of this fix not working perfectly [yup], but it's the best we have right now."

Lol. Is it possible for you to write anything in a non-condescending manner?

Cigol: What's so bad about EA's service? Do you need to install a load of crap software or something?

For those who are interested, you can unlock the full demo for £5 (the cost of which is then given back to you if you buy the full game when it comes out)... So, provided you're planning on buying Spore, it's essentially free... without the need for potentially dodgy torrents that don't actually completely unlock the demo.

EA seem very fractured and disparate on the frontend that I can't see it being any better behind the scenes. I just wouldn't be comfortable purchasing from them when it's such hard work navigating their maze of websites.

Wrestle; fins and things like that are in the full editor.

Fins and things like that are in the full editor.

Ah, OK. (I didn't bother with that hack I linked to.)

I may look at picking up the full game then, possibly. I'm sure my kids would love it at any rate.

Caved and bought the full thing. It's installing as I type. New animals, here I come!

Sporepedia -- it's crazy how fast it's being populated. Refresh immediately and there'll be 100 more added. It's going to be insane once the full game is released. Remember, you can get any of those creatures just by saving the PNG file and dragging it into the editor. Cool shit.

That's incredible :0

I must play with this tonight (Hmm. 198Mb for the demo of the editor... so much for Will Wright's "This game is going to fit onto two floppy disks" :)).

Also:

http://ll-248.ea.com/spore/static/thumb/500/001/248/500001248935.png

God damn, the pop up makes permalinking strange. This looks like it should work, does it?

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=sast-500001248935

It just sends me back to the first results page despite the creature ID.

Forgive my lack knowledge, but once u've made your creature what's the point of the game, can u influence it's character while creating it?

Dammit ginger have you not been paying attention to spore? Check out the website for a proper explanation, but in brief:

You start witha a single-celled organism in a pac-man-like game. Once you have eaten a certain number of other cells or whatever, you get to go to the creature creator (or cell-creator at the beginning, I guess) and modify it slightly (there is a point/buy system). Different modifications affect your stats.

After a certain point the single-cell becomes an aquatic animal. Later it becomes a land animal (this is the stage that the creature creator demoes). The stats thing carries through, so long legs make it faster, big claws mean it does more damage etc.

Then you get a whole bunch of the creatures living in a village.

Then you get a whole startup civilization.

Then you get an interstellar civilisation that can mess around with everything.

I lost interest in spore when it was delayed by 20 million years. So basically it's like an advanced cock fighting simulator, and if u don't like violence having a chicken run. but u design your own chickens?

I have to say that, well, ummm.... I didn't like it. I really don't see what's so amazing about it. I feel like it's the Emperor's New Clothes... at least the Character Generator thing.

You get a preset blob, which comes with a preset number of things you can attach to it. Legs (always on the ground), arms (always used to grabbing things), eyes, mouth and spikes. What's so amazing about that?

It feels like a 3D version of Mr Potato Head. I'm sure I must be missing something... but there really isn't that much variance between all the user created characters. They're certainly nowhere near nature...

Consider the differences between a snake, a kangaroo and a tortoise... All of Spore's creatures have pretty much the same attributes and look.

Ok, I know I must be very wrong about this and probably deserve a good pounding. It may just be the pre-hype killing my experience (as it can often do).

Thoughts?

Have a look on the sporepedia. You'll see that plenty of variation is possible.

Consider the differences between a snake, a kangaroo and a tortoise... All of Spore's creatures have pretty much the same attributes and look.

Pretty sure you can make all those things in Spore. Your creature doesn't have to have legs or arms or if you prefer, it can have tons of arms and legs or even just 1. There's no limit on the number of each part you add and I don't think you have to have legs touching the ground.

You can probably make a blob and give it 1 leg and take the foot off the bottom, lift the bottom of the leg a bit off the ground and watch as it struggles to push it's retarded mass along the floor.

As for how the game plays Ginger, as I understand it changes with each phase but progresses from a sort of tamagotchi type game into more of a civilisation-esque game, likely with RTS aspects.

These took about 5 minutes each, just using the free version. I'm sure they could be better with fine tuning and the full app.

sp-rooboy.png

sp-snakish.png

sp-ankylurtle.png

The tortoise is me favourite. You should see the way he waddles about :D

You can make a creature without legs and it will move like a snake or snail. ThunderPeel, maybe you should play around with the editor a bit more, because there's a lot of possibilities. There was definitely a great degree of hype around Spore but even so the editor is quite amazing.