Roderick

New DS design?

In Europe, the lime green colour version of the DS Lite just came out, making for the sexiest machine ever created. I'm way tempted to buy it, since I've pretty much used up my old original DS (surface is getting a little scratchy, though nothing spectacular because I treat my DS like a lady, and the battery is spent after roughly three hours of play).

There are some rumours about a new DS design circulating though, which Nintendo typically denies (which is saying nothing because they denied the Lite a week before its launch as well). Since no one really knows, I have to bet on it. So far the argument in my head is to just go for the Lite, because it's such a fine machine as it is. A new design would have a hard time improving on it. Rumours speak of larger screens, but that would be kind of useless because the resolution of the games won't go up, so everything will just end up blurred. Others speak of [larger] integrated memory to download stuff and even GBA games, which would be impossible to play since the GBA slot is said to be phased out.

All of these new features aren't really that exciting to me, or are even a bit bothersome (no GBA slot? How will I play the Castlevanias?).

So basically I just answered my own question. Thanks.

I can't see them accomplishing that much with a third iteration to be honest. The DS Lite was definitely a huge part of the DS's overall success, making it more desirable to those who don't want to be seen carrying the aesthetic equivalent of a cow's rectum. But now they've done that, what value would there be from making it look just a little bit better, etc?

I'm thinking most people who were going to get a DS will already have one due to the insane marketing push Nintendo's given it, and those who haven't probably won't be pushed over the edge by slightly bigger screens, a mildly refined design, and whatever else is rumoured.

What I can see is something more like the GameBoy series' evolution, which is an actual new console generation that just happens to also play DS games via backwards compatibility.

Wow! That's a hell of a picture. Also I just wanted to agree that the lime green DS is also the best thing in the world. I'm also considering getting one since the calibration is pretty much screwed on my old-school model making it impossible to complete Zelda. Money's constantly the issue though no matter how green it may be.

As for a new design I'm equally sceptical. I can't really see what they would gain from releasing a third incarnation and I hope imagine (or hope) that most resources for that kind of thing would be going into a new handheld machine by now.

But then I think I just repeated what everyone else just said

Can't help thinking this is rather stupid "they did it once, they'll do it again!" reasoning.

Yes, Nintendo released many versions of the Game Boy. But the architecture changed a fair bit each time, even though the name of the unit prevailed.

I can't see Nintendo doing anything more with the DS now. The DS Lite is arguably perfect.

And Norfolk, dude, would you mind linking to these images instead of embedding them? A lot of us are at work... ;(

Yeh, sorry about that. Got a bit carried away.

...those who don't want to be seen carrying the aesthetic equivalent of a cow's rectum.

Just labouring the point.

Really? Lime green? :barf:

Now red! Or even the Crimson & Black I just saw a picture of on google! Mmmmm :tup:

Edit: No GBA slot? Not going to help Guitar Hero DS much, or any future games that may want to use the slot for something fun and new.

Interestingly,when the crimson black version was announced a year ago I was all over it. They have it in stores as well at the moment, but for some reason... I don't like it anymore. It feels less sophisticated, ironically, than the unicolour lime green edition. I don't know, maybe I'm a bit tired of red and black, and green is refreshing and new to me.

I'm glad conversation has shifted away from the cow's rectum, and onto DSes again.

Well, I just bought it. Lime Green DS :tup:

Totally worth it, especially after the government pays me back the taxes on it.