Sign in to follow this  
Cigol

Metal Gear Solid 4 - Guns of the Saucer Men From Mars

mgs4finalhandsonheaderbs6.jpg

Don't worry, I did my homework, I painstakingly searched the archives of the forum and found to my delight that the majority of Metal Gear detractors are no longer active on the forum; win! So is anyone else actually looking forward to this? News of my pre-order being processed has filled me with excitement, especially as I've already completed GTA4 and my PS3 is just sitting there pleading for something, ('...anything!'), to do.

Now the painful waiting game begins.

Oh, a word of warning; stay clear of any comment sections on any of the gaming websites. There's spoilers galore being posted with the intention of ruining your experience so I'm told.

Not having a PS3, I think I have an even longer painful waiting game until (a) Konami decides to port it to other platforms (looking unlikely at the moment) or (B) enough other big titles for me (Team Ico's next project, possibly the Quantic Dream one and umm...Echochrome) come out to justify spending a crapton of money on a new console, or © I find a gamer friend that has a PS3. (Oddly enough, those that I know in real life are mostly PS2, Wii, or 360 owners. This summer seems likely to change that, though.)

Thanks for the tip about major gaming sites. Already had a few key moments in Bioshock ruined *before the release* by assholes online when I was looking for tech support on the demo, and I'm not likely to play this one anytime close to the release date. :frusty:

Definitely my most-anticipated game of the year, and indeed this gaming generation (PC not included).

From the reviews I've read, it delivers upon everything I expect from an MGS game and does fan service to the extreme (Fine as long as you're an existing MGS fan!). Everything from the plethora of old characters/locations to the super-length cutscenes turns me on, and seeing as we're talking about MGS the gameplay itself will almost certainly be fantastic too.

Going on holiday on the 18th though, so I'll be waiting until after that before I play it. Clearly will be avoiding a lot of websites. :shifty:

It was the secondary reason I purcahsed a PS3 a few weeks ago. The main one being WipeoutHD (which still isn't out :( ). Still this is on pre-order and am looking forward to it!

Don't worry, I did my homework, I painstakingly searched the archives of the forum and found to my delight that the majority of Metal Gear detractors are no longer active on the forum; win!

Obviously, your research was incomplete. You failed to account for me.

And I hate to be a detractor because I *loved* the first Metal Gear Solid and even liked MGS2, despite some of

, but, honestly, I'm so sick of Kojima's shit. It's a lousy, nonsense story wrapped around all too-short bits of game. I think if the game bits weren't there, and he was making a movie as he so clearly wanted, he'd be laughed out of the room. But because the interactive segments are good (and because they were rather progressive for a console game in the first go round) people let him off the hook for all the idiocy. Meh :getmecoat

It was the secondary reason I purcahsed a PS3 a few weeks ago. The main one being WipeoutHD (which still isn't out :( ). Still this is on pre-order and am looking forward to it!

Studio Liverpool had just "downsized" a few weeks before that was announced.

I enjoy the cutscenes, and the gameplay in MGS3 was absolutely superb (as well as more plentiful). It's not like the gameplay stopped being great after MGS1.

I think the cutscenes — while silly as hell — are a nice way to relax after a ridiculously hard gameplay sequence, and provide a good incentive to keep going (and believe me, you need some incentive when playing MGS on hard mode. :shifty:). They're a guilty pleasure, cheesy as a cow's arse but good enough to make you care about the characters.

See, I've only played MGS1, and have not seen or played the others. I'm hoping this will be as good as the first!

Nachimir...'downsized'? That doesn't sound too good. D'you reckon it will ever come out? :erm::gaming:

Yes, of course it will come out. It's not like they "reallocated resources". Sony had announced that they were offloading a bunch of staff at the time before the new wipeout was announced, but that was over a year ago now.

The Getaway series wasn't without its faults I admit, but they had their own charm and I enjoyed playing them. The realistic setting of London and that British flavour helps of course, so hopefully this doesn't spell the end completely!

Not having a PS3, I think I have an even longer painful waiting game until (a) Konami decides to port it to other platforms (looking unlikely at the moment) or (B) enough other big titles for me (Team Ico's next project, possibly the Quantic Dream one and umm...Echochrome) come out to justify spending a crapton of money on a new console

I know nothing about it but to say their involvement with the PS3 didn't influence my purchase would be lying. I'm looking forward to Little Big Planet which shouldn't be too long a wait and looks quite nice but the PS3 is definitely short on games. It's still early days but I always think they are two different types of market (360 vs PS3) so you'll know which you inherently prefer.

Obviously, your research was incomplete. You failed to account for me.

And I hate to be a detractor because I *loved* the first Metal Gear Solid and even liked MGS2, despite some of

, but, honestly, I'm so sick of Kojima's shit. It's a lousy, nonsense story wrapped around all too-short bits of game. I think if the game bits weren't there, and he was making a movie as he so clearly wanted, he'd be laughed out of the room. But because the interactive segments are good (and because they were rather progressive for a console game in the first go round) people let him off the hook for all the idiocy. Meh

I was just joking of course as there's always at least one Metal Gear detractor to spoil the party :D but to be serious I do agree with much of your criticism, I just find it doesn't prevent me from enjoying the game.

So psyched. Have had my preorder for a while. Hoping to get my replay of MGS3 done today to be fully prepared for tomorrow's launch. Although I probably won't get a chance to actually play it until the weekend. Stupid job...

Can't say I'm a fan either, sorry. Wouldn't ever use hate, but I do think it's often quite ridiculous to the point of being stupid on occassion.

I liked the original Solid game though, too, but struggled to stick with the second one and never bothered with the 3rd. I'm still keen to play Subsistence however and still covet a PS2 partially for that reason (among myriad more important exclusive titles).

I do like the look of the 4th and I'm genuinely jealous of PS3 owners in that regard. But I can't say anything beyond the aesthetic here really appeals. You can't fault the character or equipment designs if you ask me--the branding is rock-hard.

play.com are claiming it's being packed. Could it arrive earlier than release? Could this be a first for play?

A former colleague in my last job went on to work for Play when we all got made redundant; they're dogmatic about holding to street dates, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Friends have had titles land on their doormats on launch day itself, however. :tup:

As a side note for anyone else who may be replaying the earlier games in anticipation, playing MGS3 and MGS: Portable Ops at the same time is weird. Every time I knock someone out in Snake Eater I instantly start looking for the truck I need to drag them back to for recruiting. Doesn't help that I just lost the eye in Snake Eater so now both Naked Snakes have the eyepatch. Still bloody amazing how well they pulled off a portable Metal Gear though. Both games = the shit.

I remain a dedicated computer gamer, and the excitement surrounding MGS4 as inspired me to dig up an old copy of MGS2, otherwise known as "the one I can play".

Fuck you all for reminding me of my never playing more MGS3. Now it's too late!

In other news, MGS4 looks pretty sweet, but I'm worried about all the cut-scene talk. Could there be such a thing as... too much cut-scene?

No?

Well, as I understand it, the cutscenes will be pausible, which should definitely help. As long as I can run off and get a coke in the middle, I should be fine with it.

And just finished my replay of MGS3. Right on time. Woo! 'Course, I have to be at work in about 7 hours, but these are the sacrifices that must be made sometimes...

As a side note for anyone else who may be replaying the earlier games in anticipation, playing MGS3 and MGS: Portable Ops at the same time is weird. Every time I knock someone out in Snake Eater I instantly start looking for the truck I need to drag them back to for recruiting. Doesn't help that I just lost the eye in Snake Eater so now both Naked Snakes have the eyepatch. Still bloody amazing how well they pulled off a portable Metal Gear though. Both games = the shit.

Tried Portable Ops a few weeks ago and something about it instantly rubbed me up the wrong way. I may have to try again based on your recommendation though, Miffy.

But Metal Gear AC!D... now that really is a bloody good game, portable or otherwise!

Anyone who hasn't played MGS3 really ought to if you managed to get any enjoyment out of its predecessors. This goes even if you never played MGS2, seeing as its a prequel.

It stands head and shoulders above MGS2 as an overall experience in my opinion, grounded more in reality (and indeed the past, seeing as it's prequel). The cutscene/gameplay balance is also pretty much perfectly tuned, with cutscenes rarely overstaying their welcome or becoming boring. And the gameplay is fantastic, with huge dosages of indoor and outdoor action (including an MGS1-esque compound) and more depth to everything — particularly the Judo shit.

The overall feel is more reminiscent to MGS1, in that you're in a massive, isolated place in the middle of nowhere with connection to the outside world hanging on by a thread. Granted, MGS2 had that atmosphere too, but I don't think they nailed it as well as they did in MGS1/MGS3. Perhaps even more so than MGS1, seeing as the game world is geographically massive.

The overall feel is more reminiscent to MGS1, in that you're in a massive, isolated place in the middle of nowhere with connection to the outside world hanging on by a thread. Granted, MGS2 had that atmosphere too, but I don't think they nailed it as well as they did in MGS1/MGS3. Perhaps even more so than MGS1, seeing as the game world is geographically massive.

Blimey, sounds even better than I'd hoped.

Really need to fix that donated PS2 in my wardrobe!

Well, as I understand it, the cutscenes will be pausible, which should definitely help. As long as I can run off and get a coke in the middle, I should be fine with it.

I think you should be able to manage this, and go for a brisk 4 mile walk before you're needed again at some points.

Hurray! I get to pick mine up as I leave work on Thursday. Don't actually get to play it until about 9:30 Friday night, but at least I'll have it in my grubby little hands.

And Wrestle, I completely agree with you about Ac!d. Those two games were bloody incredible, and the first one happened to be the game that got me interested in Metal Gear in the first place. To think I was just looking for something (at the time, anything) to play on my PSP. Now I've played through all of the series several times. So good. Definitely get that PS2 fixed up, too. MGS3 has some really awesome stuff going on. The idea that Granin was the scientist who originally came up with the concept of Metal Gear is just too cool. Portable Ops just went on Greatest Hits I believe, so you should be able to get it a bit cheaper. Neat touches like the first appearances of Roy Campbell and Frank Jaeger (Grey Fox/Cyborg Ninja) make the story plenty compelling, although without a second analogue stick the camera can get kinda irritating. It can also be a bit tedious grabbing every character you can find, though it is ultimately helpful. Of course, kidnapping everyone is entirely optional so you don't need to worry about it too much.

I'd forgotten how epic the endgame in MGS3 was. I got to Volgin at about midnight last night and figured, "Hell, I can beat this before bed!" Credits finished rolling about 3 am. Man I was tired at work today. Store is apparently opening early on Thursday for MGS4 and as games guy I have to be there, so I get to be even more tired that night. Hooray.