Erkki

A Prince of Persia?

Interview with the producer of the new Prince of Persia game: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34581.html

we never felt that it was "the prince of persia", it's "a prince of persia", there are many "princes of persia" within this fantasy universe that we call "prince of persia"
yes we can

WTF? Ok, this already started after Sands of Time, and I stopped playing the series after Warrior Within, but now it has become really obvious that they are just milking the title while making some completely unrelated game that perhaps shares a few elements.

[edit] the original quote was perhaps a bit out of context so I quoted a longer sentence

Looks sucky. Also, I know it's not the biggest thing in the universe, but what does this title even have to do with Persia any more? The lead character in all the concept art is very white with blue eyes. It's a small thing, but *sigh*, this really has NOTHING to do with Prince of Persia any more.

The game looks like it could be very fun, but the guy being interviewed is obnoxious and makes it sound like it'll be self-indulgent pap. I wouldn't hold too much value to the guy.

I have to admit the game looks like it could be fun, though, judging by the trailers.

The graphics, aside from the creepy looking characters, are very pretty, but movement and interaction with the world is too 'notchy' and artificial for my tastes. It's not like ICO or SOTC for example, there's little sense of fluidity - and unless I'm mistaken even Assassins Creed was much more naturalistic.

After playing Mirrors Edge it really puts into perspective just how well they pulled off their platforming segments. It's hard to stomach PoP's initial areas without feeling really jaded. There's no skill or depth to it. I suspect it gets better, and I hope it does, but I've little inclination of finding out.

I'm also, for some inexplicable reason, reminded of Soul Reaver when playing it :erm:

I'm also, for some inexplicable reason, reminded of Soul Reaver when playing it :erm:

I think it's the weight of the character : he seems agile, but he moves quite slowly and heavily.

When playing it, I totally got the Soul Reaver impression as well, oddly enough even mentioning to my friend that it's a lot like Soul Reaver 2. The combat and climbing style seem vaguely similar too. Not that this is a bad thing. I'm really happy Prince of Persia is for the most part getting a return to form. I wish the Prince didn't have that awful voice and dumb attitude, but I guess that's to be expected. Also Elika's hair looks really ugly sometimes. The shaders didn't do too well on her.

I've been thinking a lot about new Prince of Persia, and the question of whether I like the franchise or the game itself. I'm a big fan of the original Prince of Persia as well as The Sands of Time (for completely different reasons), and I think the rest are just a travesty of the series. I see it as a comparison of the movie Jaws vs. its awful sequels.

To me, a team got put together at the right place at the right time with the right direction and made a pretty good game that just happened to be The Sands of Time (since the original Prince was made by pretty much one dude...)

Experiencing the whole POP world/series is not as important to me. Just because it has the name it doesn't mean that it will have the same emotional connection (like Jaws). It's not really me who wants to see the sequels... it seems like a group of business folk at Ubisoft are just trying to exploit the love for the first game, just with a new twist... but could the new team get the essence of the game that I like? Maybe, but probably not. Though perhaps they're rebooting because they're not carrying the legacy, anyway.

The new Prince of Persia game looks extremely nice and I think I'd dig the atmosphere and feel of the world. For the life of me I don't understand why they made the prince 100% American though, with American oneliners and an American personality. It totally grinds with the setting and pisses on it. Perhaps it isn't that bad, but I was shocked when I discovered it in the Gametrailers review. Why on earth would they go for something that generic?

I don't get the people who make this.

What? So he's flying around in Persia with fucking minarets and dancing snakes and he goes "Man, I could sure go for a " and something typically American, like a "hamburger"? Or did I misunderstand?

I could be wrong, but from what I saw he was constantly goofing around with the woman and doing all sorts of ill-fitting oneliners. And it's his accent that's so decidedly not Persian, which is weird because he's their prince and you might expect the prince of fucking Persia to actually have a Persian flair to him. But, you know.

I could be wrong. Hopefully I am!

He isn't a prince as I understand, just some common thief/ruffian type of guy.

The new Prince of Persia game looks extremely nice and I think I'd dig the atmosphere and feel of the world. For the life of me I don't understand why they made the prince 100% American though, with American oneliners and an American personality. It totally grinds with the setting and pisses on it. Perhaps it isn't that bad, but I was shocked when I discovered it in the Gametrailers review. Why on earth would they go for something that generic?

I don't get the people who make this.

I don't know, Ubisoft did it to Rayman in the third game, but what they did to the new PoP was much less offensive than Warrior Within. I do enjoy the gameplay more though.

My guess is the US market is where the big money comes from. All of my friends and I love acting cocky all day and dishing out the one liners in our everyday American lives. The Prince is really someone we can relate to on a level that our parents just don't understand.

Edited by syntheticgerbil

The Prince is really someone we can relate to on a level that our parents just don't understand.

That made me smile :tup:

It's the guy from Uncharted - he was awesome in channeling the HarissonFord/FireFly vibe in that game, but is completely out of place in this one. It's especially a bad choice because it reminds people of a different franchise and spoils the experience - it'd be like seeing Batman play Superman or vice/versa.

I'd say it's sort of like Disney's Aladdin but not as good, mainly because there's too much talking and the choice of voice actor is wrong.

Got it for Christmas, and have pumped a few hours into it now. Lots of fun, actually. Even though I'm enjoying it, I don't know if I could quite say why.

Objectively, the entire game seems like a really epic Quick Time Event. The combat, the platforming, everything. It's just hitting buttons exactly when you're supposed to with little to no variation. That said, when you hit a groove and it begins to feel like you're actually doing it, it feels incredible. Then you fuck the same jump up about twelve times with no penalty and remember what you're playing. It's a pity, really. It's coming much closer to recapturing what made Prince of Persia great in the past, but still falls pretty short. And, as others have pointed out, having the voice of Nathan Drake playing the prince is really weird.

I just completed a section of the Concubine's levels. I have two of the four powers you can beef Elika up with (the wall running and the flying) and seem to be going through the game at a pretty brisk pace. If I keep this up, I could have it finished before the year is out. Close, if not. Depends how much I get to see the girlfriend, I guess. If you're playing the game, or gave up on it, I will say this much. If you haven't fought through the Citadel with the Flying (yellow) power, you're missing out. As irritating and arbitrary as the flying bits seem to be, the scenario where the hunter is actively stalking and trapping you is one of my favorite parts of the game so far. Not once during that segment did my disbelief get shattered. It was really intense all the way through. Excellent level. Even if you never intend to finish the game, at least complete that part.

Anyway, I get to work the boxing day sale at HMV tomorrow, so I'd better get some sleep. Night all. Merry whatever.

hmm :/

still waiting for my copy to arrive, but this doesn't sound good

I was hoping I came off overall positive. As I said, I am enjoying it. For what it's worth, I felt compelled to beat almost half the freaking game in a single day. It draws you in pretty well.

My brother got this for Christmas from an awesome human being, and he tells me it's pretty good, also for achievements.