toblix

Beyond Better & Evil!

Of course there is no god damn PC version for this HD release... :tdown:

The original is already hard enough to get running on PC and does suffer a bit for being 7 years old with the PS2 level textures and you have to turn off features to get it to be not flickering and slow.

Thanks Ubisoft. :fart:

Just release it as Steam exclusive at the same time as the console releases.

Surely as a PC gamer you've become completely accustomed to this by now? :fart:

Thanks brkl, you've made me not want to replay it now. ;(

Yes, but I must vent my anger in some kind of gibberish writing or my head will explode. PC gets shafted always these days. "It's a dying platform after all" says the idiots in marketing. ;(

Yeah it is irritating, although in BG&E's case I can see why the decision to not do a PC port would be fairly quick seeing as the original PC version probably sold incredibly badly and it adds dozens upon dozens of hours to the development and R&D when a PC version is needed — not to mention years of post-release patching as new hardware comes along and wanks everything up. ;(

I played BG&E on my PC, I think the resolution was pretty good... I don't see why I'd buy this again.

I played BG&E on my PC, I think the resolution was pretty good... I don't see why I'd buy this again.

because you love ubisoft

I'll be buying this on the off chance that they're using sales of it to gauge level of interest in BG&E2. But I agree, it probably looked plenty sharp enough if you played it on PC. I played it on PS2.

I'll be buying this on the off chance that they're using sales of it to gauge level of interest in BG&E2. But I agree, it probably looked plenty sharp enough if you played it on PC. I played it on PS2.

I don't know if my dislike of Ubisoft and the lack of a PC release for it can be overcome by my love of the game itself.

Just to be well accustomed with Ubisoft practices, I'm betting this HD remake never gets released.

If it is indeed going to get released, then it will be shat out by Gameloft and done in a very poor manner.

I have no confidence in this being done right, so I'm hoping it won't be done at all.

HD BG&E? Sounds good. I'm gonna sound a little fanboyish saying this, but when I first played the game I REALLY liked how the character models were handled. They were very detailed and cool (especially Pey'j), really working the poly count limitations into the style. That was part of the charm: hopefully stuff isn't all smoothed out now.

They were very detailed and cool (especially Pey'j), really working the poly count limitations into the style. That was part of the charm: hopefully stuff isn't all smoothed out now.

Now that you mention it, that was true of the style. A similar effect was made use of in Rayman 2. The jagged swirls and rocks of both games had a lot to do with the art direction using the limitations to it's strength.

There could be nicer character models though, but really I'm hoping more than anything if this is indeed going through, I'm not going to hear the name "Gameloft" mentioned anywhere around it.

That's not how I remember it at all.

1540865-beyond_good_and_evil1_super.jpg

I remember being surprised by how high poly the character models looked. Those wouldn't be ruined by higher polygon counts.

Well Jade of course has more polys in her face than any other character in the game, but I'm assuming Rodi was referring more towards background elements, using simple jagged boxes, planes, and hexagons to their advantage.

It's easily most noticed on Domz creatures and the way their textures are laid out among the polys. But either way, it made do with good texturing and modeling.

Also, brkl, I'm pretty sure the image you picked out is a promotional made image with a smoothed out model for that particular boss. Besides that BG&E did the depth of field blur on parts, if you check out movies or screens in game of the boss, you'll see on the white face stripe and lips there are corners created from where the texture is wrapped around the edges of the polygons. That shot you posted of that boss is completely smooth on the other hand.

Once again I am left in the cold after having sold my 360.

):

I love BG&E. I hope this sells well to encourage faster (but not rushed!) BG&E2 production!

Yeah, okay, I just picked the first image I found (off of GiantBomb's article). Still, I'm not worried about how it would how with a higher poly count as long as it's done by talented people.

I finally got the original to work on PC and it sure is awesome. Still looks great, actually I don't mind that there is no PC version for the HD version. The original looks awesome enough, I was way too harsh to speak lies about the graphics.

Some cutscenes still seem to run sluggish, but otherwise the game is playing great at this point.

It is a shame that PC gamers get shafted by Ubisoft, but I don't mind now that the original amazing version is playable for me.

Beyond Good & Evil is one of the most beautiful looking games that I've ever played, I really love the art design.

It is a shame that PC gamers get shafted by Ubisoft

so nothing had changed

I read the 'improvements' list and all I can think is that it fits perfectly the changelist format of a compatibility patch.:tdown: We used to get those for free, a few years ago...

Since this clearly is a marketing and polling operation, I wonder if offering the revamped game wouldn't yield better result than selling it ?

I'm confused, the improvements are stated as this:

The HD version of the game – which released back in 2003 for PS2, Xbox, PC and GameCube – will feature 1080p visuals, makeovers for the character models, polished textures, a re-mastered soundtrack and achievements/trophies, depending on what console you have, as well as online leaderboards.

I also guess I didn't realize this at first, but Ubisoft seems pretty confident they are going to release this in that news bit. Let's hope so, the biggest annoyance I have with Beyond Good and Evil right now is I lost my old save game and I played through it again early last year only to find out the code you have to obtain through the darkroom website for the MDisc in the Akuda Bar was all screwed up. The darkroom website is still there fully but it does not work. It's a small thing, but it bugs me.

Among other HD remake rumors, supposedly a Prince of Persia and Rayman Trilogy are in the works. I'm guessing the "Rayman Trilogy" is not going to include Rayman 1 if so, and even then, I'm starting to get annoyed with HD rereleases already. Way too many announced or rumored at this point.

That is fairly crazy. The only silver lining is that the game isn't toast — which in all honesty I'd assumed — and that it will hopefully be fairly awesome when it does eventually come. It's better they take their time than put out something that's half-hearted, but fuck me I want a BG&E sequel already.

I'm guessing they're still pretty much in an on-and-off pre-production (Ancel had admitted they've spent considerable amounts of time doing stuff like Rayman: Origins instead), or they've gone ahead and started over. They wouldn't openly say they're targeting the next generation if they'd already produced a significant amount of assets because that'd be essentially wasted work.

Also isn't Ancel doing work on the Tintin game as well?

I somehow get the feeling that the only reason Beyond Good and Evil 2 gets to keep going is because Ubisoft really doesn't want to piss Ancel off because it would be like Nintendo crossing Miyamoto. At the same time, it doesn't seem like Ubisoft as a company is very serious about Beyond Good and Evil.

For instance, the PS3 HD version was supposed to be released last month while PSN was down, yet no announcements have been made since on what the new release date would be or even if it's still coming. You'd think someone at Ubisoft would give a rat's ass enough to inform fans who were planning to buy said HD remake a heads up the game's new release date and reassure them it was still coming out, but possibly it's a better marketing strategy to ignore everyone and say nothing? I don't know, I didn't go to school for marketing so maybe I don't know the new cool tactics marketers use.

Every year, I think I hate Ubisoft more.

I don't think it's fair to direct any blame towards Ubisoft for the PSN issues. They're in exactly the same situation as countless other publishers and developers, which is that one of their main distribution platforms has been down with Sony refusing to be specific about its planned return (which was just a couple of days ago in the UK it turns out). It's probably still not fully online in some regions, and the servers are fucked from being swamped.

I really doubt Ubisoft is trying to stiff customers by not being able to effectively distribute a game they've just spent a fair bit on remastering and marketing. They've just not committed to a new release date because it's been impossible to determine one thanks to PSN currently being widely considered a barely floating ship. It's obviously going to come once the PSN issues are history because they made it, it still says it's coming soon on the official site, and they have people clamouring for it.

Either way, their silence doesn't make me confident on the matter. I've been checking around everyday for an official announcement on the HD release over PSN, but still Ubisoft has said nothing, not even saying, "Hey PSN was down, we have to figure out a better release date." I would appreciate anything said, basically.

It's obviously going to come once the PSN issues are history because they made it, it still says it's coming soon on the official site, and they have people clamouring for it.

While in theory I agree with this, to be honest, personally I don't feel like I have a grasp of what's obvious with Ubisoft at all.

I really just want to play this HD rerelease already though, it's exciting all over again even though I know what to expect.

Don't really care about the consoles. I hope it appears on PC someday, that's the most important thing.