toblix

Beyond Better & Evil!

I'm actually kind of disappointed he didn't quit!

I mean, yes, I want to see Beyond Good & Evil 2 more than I want to see most other sequels out there (I looove BG&E), but, even more than that, I'd like to see what he could make with more freedom. Especially after what happened with Raving Rabbids. I was so hyped for Rayman 4 and then... that happened. ):

Maybe Ubisoft learned better. I dunno.

The other problem (more personal) is that I am primarily a PC gamer. I know if BG&E2 (or even a real Rayman 4) is released before Ubisoft stops being dicks, it'll have that awful DRM, and I won't buy it as a result. ):

If he is constrained at all, on the BG&E2 project. Which we don't know, unless you work at Ubisoft and are also Michel Ancel. :grin:

He's free to leave Ubisoft after he finishes Beyond Good & Evil 2. :mock:

Of course, it's entirely possible he's not being held back or forced to do things he doesn't want.

I don't trust Ubisoft for shit these days, though. They make good games, but I really despise some of the decisions they make. D:

Rayman Origins:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-rayman-origins/101435

I really LOVE the art style and the feel of this game, please please please come to all three consoles AND PC. What the hell am I thinking not mentioning PC at all.

I really want to play this one.

On day one of release.

Edited by Kolzig

I haven't read that website in years, but are their articles still 80% mario quilts/sculptures/paintings, 19% asian RPG's and 1% interesting stuff?

I started boycotting Kotaku after Brian Crecente wrote an abusive email and banned the IP of a member who politely asked to have his account closed. Of course the generally poor/nonexistant level of research in their articles and many minor scandals also contributed.

Yeah I guess the link has some tag to Kotaku, I did pick it up first from their rss news feed in the morning.

A bit crappy site, but many times they seem to be first to notice about stuff. That's why I keep that site in my list of rss feeds.

I guess that's good news?

I mean it's not "officially" and indefinitely on hold anymore, it seems. I'm still confused whether it's well known that Ancel directed Rayman Origins though. The rumor earlier in the thread ended with a fellow game designer saying Ancel was working on Rayman with a small team, but Ubisoft never really made an effort to officially confirm or deny anything (besides that he didn't quit). The article seems to infer that he was responsible for Rayman Origins though.

But the small team for a personal project has me worried. It sounds good, but I can't even imagine 5 people making the first Beyond Good and Evil all by themselves at the moment. Maybe if all 5 were really fucking good at what they do.

What do people even think by "small team" nowadays anyway? Less than ten? Less than twenty? Will they hire an army of professionals once the shit gets rolling, like movie production companies do?

I guess I'm mixing things up here and didn't realize it. Rayman Origins was supposedly done by a team of five, but there's nothing saying the BG&E2 is the same team or even that Ancel has been officially confirmed that he worked on Rayman Origins (although that may be hard to find out until the credits roll on the actual game since good info on Ubisoft stuff tends to be sparse).

So yeah, Kingz, I think you may be right, how small the team is could just be relative. The comments also seem to be inferring that the article somehow meant this small team would just be developing the concept of the game, the characters, and setting up art direction and that it would fall on a larger team to finish the game, but who knows? I didn't get that from the article.

Ancel's name was specifically mentioned during the Ubisoft E3 conf in association with Rayman: Origins.

Iunno, but I swear I heard it.

EDIT: Yeah, I just found it in the conf video. http://e3.gamespot.com/press-conference/ubisoft-e3/ The time counter thing is messed up and is telling me the video's only 29 mintues long, which is wrong, but it's near the end, right after the Project Dust video. "Michel Ancel" is working on this next project, etc. And then BAM Rayman Origins.

If you scroll past it, it's right before the Uplay nonsense.

Awesome, thank you! I'm going to share this with a Rayman forum.

So now I do wonder if it will be the same team for both games. Checking mobygames, it seems like a lot of the same Ubisoft employees have followed him from Rayman 1 and 2 to Beyond Good and Evil to King Kong, almost uniformly.

EDIT: Someone on the Rayman forum I go to translated a recent video interview with Ancel and besides informing us that Christophe Héral is doing both the music for Rayman Origins and BG&E2, he seems to be saying the Rayman Origins and BG&E2 teams are separate.

http://raymanpc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6199&p=490171#p490159

Edited by syntheticgerbil

I know BG&E2 is still pretty much in rumour limbo so far as anything we know about it's status, but I came across this when randomly surfing wikipedia

Beyond Good & Evil 2 (forthcoming) – Art Designer

I mean I know wikipedia (unsourced wikipedia, anyways) is pretty dubious, but still.

Amano?!? Weird.

edit: google shows this has been picked up by giantbomb & kotaku, but also turns up a surfer girl connection which makes it even more dubious =(

It's been on Wikipedia since 9 August 2008, so after we'd seen the first teaser and before any information had been revealed. I'm gonna call shenanigans on this one.

Oh yes! I was just talking to a colleague last week about how desperately BG&E needs a HD re-release, especially if they expect this generation to buy a sequel. Probably have a better marketing push this time around too. :fart:

Of course there is no god damn PC version for this HD release... :tdown:

The original is already hard enough to get running on PC and does suffer a bit for being 7 years old with the PS2 level textures and you have to turn off features to get it to be not flickering and slow.

Thanks Ubisoft. :fart:

Just release it as Steam exclusive at the same time as the console releases.