Sign in to follow this  
miffy495

PS3 multiplayer

So here's the deal:

Despite adding my name to the list over on the PSN ID lists, I don't actually own any multiplayer games yet. I have Ratchet and Uncharted, both games of the strictly single-play variety. So I'm wondering, those thumbs who play PS3 games online, what are you playing? What's good? I saw the PS3 version of The Darkness for $14 this afternoon. Good buy?

Well, if you are aiming to get it for multiplayer, I'd say pass, because it's nothing special. But the single player portion is pretty good.

Fair. I just played the demo out of curiosity and I gotta say I like. Even if it is for the childish thrill of spawning a little demon berserker who will attack my enemies with his very own jackhammer. Something mysteriously satisfying there. I'll probably pick it up early next week as long as it's still at that price.

The Darkness thing was kind of an aside though. The main question remains: who's playing PS3 multiplayer and what are you playing?

For actual multiplayer I mostly play WarHawk, CoD4 and GTAIV at the moment (previously I played some GT5 and Ridge Racer but rarely do now). In terms of online (like high scores and stuff) I play Super Stardust and the PixelJunk games.

Oh, of course I've also been on the MGO beta lately...

Got my PS3 too late for the MGO beta :finger:

I only own two games at the moment, GTA4 and GT5p. One you already have on the 360, the other is an acquired taste. I do use a rental service to get titles I'm not confident of, but haven't yet come across anything I'd recommend in terms of multiplayer.

Fight Night in particular was brutal. It's one thing getting knocked out in the first round as Muhammad Ali, it's quite another getting knocked out by a dangerously obese dwarf with pink hair :fart:

GT5p is a game that's unfortunately rather stale offline and yearns for online connectivity - but for some reason 99% of the drivers you'll actually play are more interested in ramming you off the road than actually driving against you :shifty:

So umm, mostly just play GTA at the moment. I can't think of anything that would change that either except perhaps MGO when MGS finally comes out.

New guy dredging up old posts...

Most folks would probably say Killzone 2 at this point, but I think Warhawk is where it's at on PSN. Such a different and amazingly fun game. Sure it has ground combat and weapons like any shooter, but the balance and the vehicles make it something much more. The Warhawk in particular has a steep learning curve, but it's amazingly rewarding once it clicks.

If nothing else, check out the demo.

And of course there's the multiconsole stuff that you're probably playing on 360 like Burnout Paradise, Rock Band, COD4 etc.

EDIT: Oh shit, I only just realized how old this thread is. Now I look doubly dumb for posting such a huge list. WELL MY STUPID POST IS HERE NOW AND IT'S GOING TO STAY.

I actually get most games I'm interested in the multiplayer of on the PS3, as one of my games-playing-friend-buddies is PS3 only. Thank fuck I've escaped that terrible sentence. Anyway, here's the stuff I have (some of it dumb) that has a multiplayer component:

Army of Two, bro

Battlefield: Bad Company

Burnout Paradise

Call of Duty 3

Call of Duty 4

Call of Duty: World at War

Far Cry 2

Grand Theft Auto IV (I went kind of crazy and got it for both)

Killzone 2

Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga

Mercenaries 2

Metal Gear Solid 4 has some form of MGO on it I suppose

Rainbow Six Vegas

Rainbow Six Vegas 2

Resident Evil 5

Resistance

Resistance 2

Soulcalibur IV (mainly so a friend of mine can bash me with swords)

does Splinter Cell: Double Agent have multiplayer?

Of these, I have played the following online at least once:

Army of Two (only with a friend)

Call of Duty 4

Call of Duty: World at War

Grand Theft Auto IV

Killzone 2 (I've barely touched the single player)

Mercenaries 2 (again, online co-op with a friend)

Rainbow Six Vegas 2 (co-op with friend)

Resident Evil 5 (about to embark on third run-through with the same friend)

Resistance

Resistance 2

I'm guessing you've got most multi-platform stuff that you're interested in already for the 360. If you want a game of any of those, I'll be happy to join you, unless the game is shit or I'm busy, in which case you can fuck off. As for actually responding to your direct request and giving actual recommendations... I don't know. At the moment I'm devoting almost all of my attention to Killzone 2 and Resident Evil 5, neither of which impressed THE REMO much, and I definitely see some of the problems people could have, but I'm getting enough enjoyment from them.

Anyway, I'm talking at length to little effect. Let me know if you want a game of something, though.

EDIT: Wait, I forgot about PSN titles:

Calling All Cars (never played online)

Crash Commando

Mortal Kombat II (which I bought on a whim, played at a friend's house, realized I had no interest in playing, and have never even booted on my own system)

Warhawk (used to be pretty good fun, but now seems to have been whittled down to the crazy guys who actually have some hope of eventually earning those ridiculous medals that requires billions of kills... meaning it's now too tough to be enjoyable for me)

Wipeout HD (I'm far too shit to play against anyone other than myself)

I don't think any of the other multiplayer ones have an online component.

Apparently Noby Noby Boy is getting multiplayer at some point. That's a thing.

Edited by JamesM

Warhawk is impossible to survive for longer than a few minutes. That said, it is remarkably fun. I was toying with the idea of playing it last night, maybe I should have another go.

Warhawk is impossible to survive for longer than a few minutes. That said, it is remarkably fun. I was toying with the idea of playing it last night, maybe I should have another go.

I've been hosting a newbie night every Saturday, and we have a pretty good time. I know the game pretty well, but I mostly just moderate. Lemme know if you want to hop in (password).

Aha! Yes, I do. I won't be online next saturday though (I will be in the Lakes! woohoo!). So maybe the one after?

Damn, that sounds ideal. I've been interested to try this game out, and since the price drop it's gotten more tempting still. Saturday doesn't really work for me though, at least not for a while. Perhaps after the term ends I'll have a chance to give it a go with you folks.

You're both in luck. I just decided (on the other forum) to move it to Tuesdays.

If you want to jump in, send me a friend request. The game is titled DVDTALK and the password is forum. Most of the folks in the game just started, and we're keeping it friendly. If anybody overly agressive/cheap finds their way in, I drop the banhammer.

Here's a link to the discussion: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/551540-weekly-tuesday-warhawk-night.html

Hopefully one or both of you will have time tomorrow night!

7 Central you say? Should be 6 for me, which would work great but I still don't have the game. For Scrobbs/Norfolk, I believe that would be 1 in the morning, which is unfortunate but he could be up late...

7 Central you say? Should be 6 for me, which would work great but I still don't have the game. For Scrobbs/Norfolk, I believe that would be 1 in the morning, which is unfortunate but he could be up late...

All = Good

I can't recommend this one strongly enough...one of several amazing but overlooked titles in the PS3 catalog (Uncharted being the other glaring one). Folks are still playing it a year and a half after it came out, which to me, says volumes.

It's ~$20 used or $30 on PSN and is well worth either price. It's a relatively small download, and it's the sort of game I almost wish I had on my hard drive just so I could hop in every now and then.

It shares many mechanics with other shooters, but the sheer scope of the maps, the vehicles and the overall balance make it something more. The actual Warhawks have a steep learning curve but are extremely rewarding once they click for you.

My favourite thing in Warhawk was running around on foot and having aircraft exploding mere feet above my head, knowing that that was part of a genuine dogfight between real people. It didn't always give this impression, but at its best it captured the feeling of being just one guy in a larger battle really well (better than Resistance 2 competitive, for my money, although I didn't play that much). Also, gathering a bunch of friends and driving around in tanks together is pretty funny for some reason. Tank squadrons: comedy gold.

Apologies, I didn't see this - plus it was late.

I did however play it for about three hours in th afternoon and enjoyed it immensely. Still can't fly the warhawk for shit, but I began to get kills on the board after an hour or so. I think I like Zones the best.

We had a full game most of the night, but you guys could have slipped in a few times. First half hour or so was just 4-6.

I'm not a huge fan of zones, mostly because I get sick of mines hidden around the poles. I think capture the flag is still my favorite. You just can't fuck with the classics. :)

Really, if I had one complaint, it would be the inability to disable mines in the options.

But Warhawk is EASILY my favorite multiplayer game ever. There's just something about the scope, and the sheer number of options you have at any given time.

I also agree about the tanks. There's something amusing about rolling a tank into an enemy base when they aren't expecting it. I also love taking out hovering Warhawks in a single shot. :tup:

I'd have liked to have joined in, but I wasn't prepared to drop the requisite funds this week. I get paid on Thursday though, so perhaps next round.

Is this something that should find its way here, alongside Grand Thumb Auto and Evil Thumbs?

I'd recommend Killzone 2 to anyone who wants to come play with me. Tis fun, lot's of killness.

I'm one Aerial Support ribbon short of having all the badge-related medals. It's annoying, though. That one seems impossible unless you actively seek out weird game configurations and play in a peculiar way. As do lots of the others, actually, but they're less infuriating and more of a brief grind.

The actual gameplay is good, though! I'll play with whoever if they want to.