Scrobbs

The Jack Thompson circus of delight continues...

http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/04/jack-thompson-p.html

To decry the upcoming release of Grand Theft Auto IV, Jack Thompson sent a message to the mother of Take-Two Chairman Strauss Zelnick, according to a report by Shacknews.

The email is provocative, to say the least. Not only does it say Mr. Zelnick is "like the Hitler Youth," it also attributes the deaths of three Alabama policemen and "a recent plethora of cop killings" to prior entries in the GTA series.

:woohoo:

It seems he appears in GTA IV too:

http://gamepolitics.com/2007/09/18/jack-thompson-says-gta-4-mission-target-is-him-threatens-to-block-release/

The showcasing play of the game to Game Informer revealed that the first killing mission of the “hero” of the game, Niko, is to kill a certain lawyer. When Niko comes into this lawyer’s office, having used subterfuge to do so, Niko pulls a gun on the lawyer who says, “that the firm supports the second amendment and that ‘Guns don’t kill people. Video games do.’”

…The fact that the lawyer, killed on Niko’s first mission, would bring up video games, makes it clearly a reference to me… This is not the first time Rockstar Games and Take Two have targeted me in this fashion. Take Two references to me as a bisexual pedophile on its corporate website…

:violin:

wth

/me checks calendar... nope... not 1st of april

this guy is really nuts

He wasn't always like that.

I blame the video games.

I was wondering when he'd turn up on this one. GTA's launch was starting to feel lonely without him.

How about you post your MSN to me? Then I can get you banned from that as well as from this forum.

If only you weren't a mere spambot, I could make you cry. Can spambots cry? I want to make you cry. Or die. Either is good.

It really never fails to amuse me when these things show up.

Hasn't Jack Thompson been found guilty of 37 accounts of being rubbish?

Yeah, to them he's just another lawyer who's gone too far. There're loads of them — it's not like there're only a few lawyers in a state.

Jeez, do I live in a little gaming bubble or what? I meant to say "mainstream gaming press". AFAIK GamePolitics.com is the only site covering his possible disbarment. (Although I guess if it does happen then the other gaming sites will pick up on it.)

I think I saw stories on Kotaku and Destructoid, etc last week. I knew about it last week anyway, and I never read Game Politics.

Yeah, coverage of him pops up outside of game politics occasionally, but it reached fever pitch last year and since them many gaming press people seemed to have adopted a "do not feed the troll" stance toward him.

Quite right too I think; long before his bar association troubles in particular states, his threats were toothless and his hyperbole became monotonous.

Yep, I guess it's a good thing he's not given too much attention. I just can't wait for his disbarment. The problem with only reporting his "fall" is that it might generate sympathy for him - the lone voice of reason silenced by left wing bureaucrats. It'd be better if the (wider) public got an impression of the unstable man that he is first, and then saw him fall.

He'd lose all credibility after that.

His Wikipedia page reads to me like he's being persecuted (rather than prosecuted) by the Florida Bar, for example.

Of course it's the bloody media's fault for allowing one nutcase to gain that much attention (it reminds me of the woman that wanted to ban Blankets).

They probably will, given how he's been insulting and threatening the judge and storming out o th courtroom and generally throwing a childish tantrum.

I'm sure we have a few more months of hilarity left whilst Thompson tries to prove a massive world-wide conspiracy against him.