twmac

Interplay trawling out Jim and Kurt to make money

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=134134

I have little hope for Earth Worm Jim being any good but I'm just happy that they might make a good cartoon series.

MDK, however, could be really awesome in the right developer's hands. He has all the gadgets needed to really be quite exceptonal as long as they get rid of all the bits with Max and Doc in it.

never cares about EWJ, but both incarnations of MDK were great.

I remember EWJ 1 being awesome on my PC back in the day. Number 2 had its problems and three just annoyed me. Again though, I can't really remember why...

And that's my worthwhile contribution to this thread...

You're both ignoring the most important thing here. Clayfighter on VC! I may just be having my memories tinted by the novelty of all of the levels being connected in a giant overworld (and actually being able to smack an opponent from the first level to the last in one fight!) but I loved this game back on the N64. I hear this is the Genesis version the N64 one was a sequel to, but still. Holy crap yes!

MDK is amazing and underrated. Would love to see just a competently made sequel on today's consoles. Or heck, just MDK1 on XBLA would already rule hard.

My expectations are extremely low, however.

20040714.jpg

Hee, I really liked Earthworm Jim — but had completely forgotten about him! A really awesome game could potentially come out of it if the universe is used well, and the storyline not skimped on.

I tried playing MDK2 on PS2 (done by Bioware, yeah? That alone weirded me out) but the weirdness of the controls kept me from playing past the first hour or so. I just wasn't getting used to them quickly enough to be any good at the game and got too frustrated. That said, there was definitely a lot of potential in the other aspects of the game and I wish the controls hadn't been such a roadblock to me. The first one I found in a bargain bin for about $5 a year or so ago for the PS1, but have yet to actually play. I should really pop it into the PS3 sometime. What the hell, I may just do that right now.

I vaguely remember playing MDK2 and fucking loving it. Can't remember much about it, other than there being the three different characters with their own playing style.

Yeah, that four-armed dog was awesome. I may go back and try again based on my memories of how much potential it had. I can only just hope that if they do end up trotting out MDK3 (or a remake of 2 on XBLA...?) it will have proper dual-analog goodness.

I found even the infuriating bits of MDK2 were enjoyable. Jet packing the dog up the side of the curving tower nearly drove me insane at the time, but I still loved all of the green alien city bits. They were pretty epic for their time, and created a massive sense of scale. I thought Jesper Kydd's music was a good fit too, still have copies of it in my music collection.

Loved that comic Marek! Is it a Penny Arcade one?

I loved the first two EWJ games, they were funny, goodlooking and balls-to-the-wall hard. I just can't see it translating to 3-D.

MDK like everyone seems to be agreeing could still make it. Miffy, I recommend you play MDK on PC if you can find it, the console versions weren't as good in anyway.

I imagine MDK as a kind of Syphon Filter but done well and with a fair dose of humour and weirdness.

The megadrive version of Clayfighters isn't that good... Sorry this might be because I had already played Streetfighter half to death by the time it came out and there was only ever going to be one competitor for its crown (Samurai Shodown).

I never played MDK, but loved Earthworm Jim 1 and 2. I agree ttally with twmac about why.

The only way I see a new one working is if they made it 2D again, something like Viewtiful Joe.

I remember owning Earthworm Jim 3D on the N64. As I recall, it wasn't all that bad. Then again, I was 10 so my expectations were quite low. It'd probably be one of those games I'd abhor if I tried it today. As is though, I have fond memories. Except for having to control that damned hover-pig in the boss battles anyway. It was like the game was a decent 3D platformer until you met a boss, then it turned into Mario Kart's battle mode against AI that's set to about 500cc. Freaking bastard Psy-Crow.

I liked MDK1's mix of action and sniping, although I don't remember playing much of it until I got annoyed by the *really* infrequent checkpoints. Only played MDK2 on a rental, but I remember enjoying what I played, wacky jetpack dog included. Earthworm Jim 1+2 I enjoyed for its sheer randomness, but Earthworm Jim 3d was just a piss-poor version of Mario 64.

You guys are just nuts if you are giving Earthworm Jim 3d any sort of merit.

The game is atrocious. Download a copy and see for yourself if you want. Never pay! It wasn't made by Shiny or any of the people who worked on the first 2 games.

I TRIED to beat EWJ 3d out of boredom of things to play years ago, but it was a mistake. The game is ridiculously unforgiving, with tons of death pits. It's basically like the new 3D Sonic games.

Want to know why I couldn't beat Earthworm Jim 3d? It was a collectathon, BUT a collectathon where it was required for you to get all the golden udders in order to even fight the boss and get to the last level. I know the original Rayman required this and that game was also hard, but it was also made well and with ingenuity. EWJ3D was a complete mess. I was missing just one golden udder, which required me to ride an ice cube, needing precision controls in order to stay on. Needless to say I got very frustrated, I checked an FAQ, and saw that once you actually get to the point of beating the game, you get to play the game again on HARD mode as Jim's woman alter ego. The FAQ basically ended with a "screw this!" type attitude.

As of today, I don't know of anyone who was claimed to beat the game on hard mode or whether or not it gives some final ending... If anyone knows I'm curious.

Again, I was 10. It was "ok" when I was 10, and didn't know any better. As I alluded to, that probably means that by any reasonable standards it was utter shit. I'm still not going to dig out the N64 and my copy to verify this. It'd be like watching the Ninja Turtles cartoons again. I'm not dumb enough to tarnish my childhood like that.

Yeah I understand, maybe I just felt like everyone was giving it a little more trouble than terrible. Also I really wanted to let out my feelings about the game.

I used to love Mario is Missing when I was young. I was such a doofus.