Sign in to follow this  
Salka

Uwe Boll: I'm a genius

Y'know what, I signed the "Uwe should keep making movies" petition. I think he's been unfairly targeted simply because his bad movies are based off of video games while other people's bad movies are just bad. If he were just a regular shitty director, no one would ever bother him, but he riles up the fanboys. Sometimes fanboys need riling. There, I said it. Helps them to not take themselves so seriously. If you hate Uwe Boll and want him to stop making movies, you are in dire need of a life. If you don't like his movies, don't watch them. Liking a game doesn't mean you have to see everything to do with it. I like Street Fighter II. I don't want to watch the Jean Claude Van Damme movie based off of it. I caught about 20 minutes of it at 3:00 am one night on TBS. That was enough. I liked Far Cry. I won't be watching the movie based off of it. This doesn't mean it should never be made. Perhaps it shouldn't be watched, but that's up to each viewer. The more hate gets piled on Boll, the more I feel sorry for the guy, reviewer beatings aside.

...whoo, sorry about that. Had to get that off my chest. All this "Ban Boll" stuff going around the blagocube has been irritating me lately. I wholeheartedly approve of the new Avatar Challenge. Bonus points if you can get him mock-punching you.

Decent movies could have been made of IPs such as Alone in the Dark, but they're tainted now and won't be touched.

Yeah, that's the reason we hate Boll. Because he gobbles up IPs and shits them out. It also leads to the more widespread perception that games have no narrative worth. How many film personalities have said things to that effect in recent years? Too many, and it's almost certainly because of Boll.

Also, the unshakeable self-certainty he displays is something I find naturally abhorrent. It's that kind of attitude that has lead to horrors like genocide.

Yes, I'm comparing Boll to [[+++GODWIN'S LAW ERROR+++REDO FROM START+++]]

Man, I was in dire need of my Boll fix. Hadn't heard from him over a while. I'm good again, now :tup: He's always good for a laugh.

I was totally in agreement with Boll that Michael Bay is shit, by the way. Though my environment disagrees, Transformers was a load of shit.

I agree with Dan on this and would go one step further. Uwe Boll is particularly odious because a lot of his films were made through exploiting a subsidy option in Germany. This means that he was leaching money out of the government that could have gone to a worthier project.

Although, I have now see Postal... It is in the realm of so-bad-it-is-good that I'm willing to forgive it.

Blood Rayne, House of the Dead? Pure, unfiltered sewage.

That's a pretty stupid reason. First of all, almost every Hollywood film has used the German tax scheme, not just Boll. If anything, it's the German governments 'fault'. It's not like he got the money from killing babies. Secondly, the only thing that should matter is the quality of the movie. The quality is poor, most assuredly, but don't go using double standards; a lot of 'good' movies have iffy funding as well.

Not closed, but much reduced. Instead of it being in the $teens-of-millions, it's now limited to about $3 million - and demands an arse-load of extra paperwork, too.

This is why he so magnanimously announced he'd be stepping back from doing multimillion dollar franchises, that self-euthanize at the box office; he can't get the money for them any more, because exploiting the grant system from his home country was the only way he could raise the cash.

Quite the turd, isn't he?

And after seeing the Postal 'virgins' trailer, how could anyone forgive him for foisting this sack of vomit on the world? It really makes my piss boil that the Postal franchise has been so carefully ruined by Running with Scissors and then Boll. The original game was actually quite good. :(

And after seeing the Postal 'virgins' trailer, how could anyone forgive him for foisting this sack of vomit on the world?

A sack of vomit? That's a bit strong, isn't it ?

I find this trailer funny and while there wasn't anything redeeming in Alone in the Dark - the only Boll movie I saw, because I'm not fucking masochistic - I'll be waiting to see the final movie before making any statement. Does that make me a freak that should be eradicated or am I still allowed to have an opinion without being shat on ?

I'll be waiting to see the final movie before making any statement. Does that make me a freak that should be eradicated or am I still allowed to have an opinion without being shat on ?

No, but I've no intention of going anywhere near anything he's made again.

Plus the only 'angle' Postal The Movie has is cheap exploitation—something I'd like to think I'm well beyond at this juncture in one's movie-watching career.

Is this going to turn into a patronizing contest of my-movie-knowledge-is-bigger-than-yours ? If so, let me know, I might need to cheat my way out of this one.:tup:

Wasn't the first Postal game by Running With Scissors? Are we talking about the isometric, gritty, atmospheric, kill-em-up? I'm pretty sure that was already by RWS.

This maybe true, but it is like Uwe Boll never expected to make any money out of it. He even went as far as hiring most of his family and friends to do the work so that he could cut costs. I'm not saying he was the only one to do this it is just that his films are so deliberately cheap and bad that there is no justification in him being able to exploit this loop hole.

Postal was pretty bad but I enjoyed it at least for what it was, pure rubbish. Whereas his other films are just painful as they really did try and take themselves seriously

Is this going to turn into a patronizing contest of my-movie-knowledge-is-bigger-than-yours ? If so, let me know, I might need to cheat my way out of this one.:tup:

No, sorry--that's not what I was getting at.

More that I have precious little free time nowadays, so I'm being an elitist snob when it comes to media consumption.

Wasn't the first Postal game by Running With Scissors? Are we talking about the isometric, gritty, atmospheric, kill-em-up? I'm pretty sure that was already by RWS.

It was, you're correct.

But I don't like how they threw basically everything out the window for the (completely unnecessary) sequel, including the art style and refreshingly chilling undertones of psychosis in the 'cutscenes' between levels.

I never even bothered with the pathetic sequels. Pissing on people? Are you serious? Did you even understand your own game?