Sign in to follow this  
Marek

Battlestar Galactica Final Season Thread

Wasn't that bothered about this episode to be honest. I rarely enjoy the really granular personal stuff in BSG, so I didn't find anything much to get excited about here.

You're right though, Ginger: series' 6 and 8 were complete muppets to just fly off there the 1s told them to. It was especially jarring given how devious the 6s were in episode 2 as well.

Anyway, time for a Grand Theory Adjustment (from a proposed series 39,823):

Any thoughts on how the Cylon baseship-controlling hybrids fit into the whole God idea?

I was considering this after the latest episode (#3) and I'm starting to wonder if the Cylons aren't programmed to follow some Great Plan, just like the humans aren't, but are being prompted into action by the baseship-controlling hybrids.

Interesting term, 'hybrid', too I think--especially given everything else that's come out of the last couple of seasons...

I don't know if you have seen Razor, but that kind of shows the creation of the Hybrids. Some people believe they are infact humans altered by cylon technology. Personally I believe that the captured humans were "reverse engineered", giving the cylons their current biotechnology and understanding of humans. They are a hybrid because they are half-way between machine-cylons and skinjobs.

But yes, like the oracle they seem to be able to tap into the higher plan. I think you're probably right in that the cylon's actions are pretty much predetermined, but they don't realise it themselves. The hybrids could well be their "guides" in that.

Who wants to bet that the cunturions and raiders will turn on the skinjobs, forcing the latter to join with the humans for survival?

Who wants to bet that the cunturions and raiders will turn on the skinjobs, forcing the latter to join with the humans for survival?

Ooh, Daniel--I'm all moist!

Just generalising (and taking) your comment (out of context) and more than likely misinterpreting it; I don't think a character needs to play a roll in a series for it to be a good character. In fact that's what I liked so much about the Sopranos, in that there was this large list of secondary characters of which some would come and go at random but their personalities weren't stunted by having to have some higher purpose or linkage to the main storyline.

Gaeta has had his character fleshed out sufficiently already. If memory serves he was going to be jettisoned from the bay doors himself last season - with Starbuck first in line to end him. What I can't remember was whether they resolved this conflict between them? Maybe it will be a talking point, but it's hard to guess where things are going, so I'm doubtful.

In so far as his role on the ship, it's quite obvious he's one of the more intellectual, skilled members of the crew, assisting Baltar through much of the series (to his detriment :D). Sometimes ambiguity is a good source of drama but I'm not sure I agree that Gaeta lacks that definition. He has shown his character in season 3 especially.

He helped them, without him they wouldn't have succeeded :grin:

What I meant to say was that I don't think we know Gaeta well enough yet. He's had some defining moments, such as his roll in season 3, but overall, I don't think that I could necessarily predict what he'd do in certain situations (the way I can with Adama, Starbuck, etc.). Not that that's either good or bad, but it definitely drops him to the level of other secondary or tertiary characters on the show.

I love it.

The whole band together with your enemies to take on an even greater enemy has been done a million times, especially in Sci-fi and mythology, the two things BSG takes most from. I hope they don't go down this well trodden path.

The whole band together with your enemies to take on an even greater enemy has been done a million times, especially in Sci-fi and mythology, the two things BSG takes most from. I hope they don't go down this well trodden path.

Personally I think it's going to go down slightly differently, the cylons now believe the final 5 are in the fleet so they are going to want to broker "peace" somehow to get close to them. Possibly with disenchanted humans joining the cylon rebels to bring down their respective authorities.

Personally I think it's going to go down slightly differently, the cylons now believe the final 5 are in the fleet so they are going to want to broker "peace" somehow to get close to them. Possibly with disenchanted humans joining the cylon rebels to bring down their respective authorities.

Gods...

Cylon civil war and human defection?! What a delightful mess that'd be, though I don't know how they'd wrap all that up in one season.

The faction with the ones in it seem quite anti investigating the final 5, if the six faction survives the attack I suppose some form of collaboration is feasible (and likely on their part). The only human faction I could imagine joining the cylons would be the Baltar cult (who I can see growing greatly in members) but then the whole Baltar collaborates with the Cylons is a tad last season darling, it could be cool if this time the collaboration works to benefit the humans and cylons.

Is there a way we can just let people know that this thread is bound to be full of spoilers and get rid of all the spoiler tags?

Yeah, that's been bugging me too.

Spoilers for season 4 ahead. Spoiler-tags no longer mandatory beyond this point.

I'll modify the first post too.

Guess I'll just use the "mark forums read" button on the main page instead of lazily clicking in the topic then. Still haven't seen the show at all, but intend to at some point.:getmecoat

hehe that 'OH NOES!' fits rather nicely with your avatar right now, wrestle :)

Wow.

I have to say, Friday's episode was one of my all-time favorites. I know a lot of the sub-plots were beginning to seem tedious or flimsy, but that episode showed exactly how each one can be handled properly. That was without a doubt the best episode of season 4 so far.

Baltar's revelation was incredible, and it's extremely poetic how he now embraces Six as his personal God. The independent declarations of love between Six and Baltar were also very touching. Tyrol's disillusionment about Cally was powerful. My only complaint was that I'm becoming more and more annoyed at the way Rosalyn is behaving, with her speeches of self-righteousness and self-worth (which ironically coincide with Gaius' teachings).

Did anyone get the significance of the scene on the Demetrius? I thought maybe it was just playing off the idea that everyone is loved by someone, but I wasn't sure.

Still, I was feeling a bit :tmeh: about season 4 in general up until this episode.

About the Demetrius scene:

Since Anders is a cylon, it could be driving home the idea that the cylons are either "God" or sympathetic with the humans' position.

Episode 4 was a bit nutty.

Tyrol getting the crap beat out of him by Six and then wanting more... riiiggghttt...

When the Sons of Ares (?) raided Giaus' cult hide out it brought a new meaning to the phrase "Woman beating", although when he went back there and confronted the guard I found it quite funny since Six was picking him up and moving him. You could clearly see the guard was freaked out when he was in different positions because of Six.

That last line sounds like it was more or less paraphrased from a similar line in Bridget Jones Diary. Funny because the guy who plays Baltar was a secondary character in that film, involved with that line :grin:

I found the sight of Mrs Tigh in a Number Six wig to be faintly ridiculous. I couldn't take those scenes seriously.

I am really looking forward to the moment when Six discovers what Tigh is. Her reaction would probably be more extreme than the humans'.

Not sure what is next for Chief Tyrol. I feel sorry for the guy. I was confused by the bit where Adama basically said that he knew Tyrol was a cylon. Was that just in the Chief's head?

I was confused by the bit where Adama basically said that he knew Tyrol was a cylon. Was that just in the Chief's head?

That's what I thought.

I'm pretty sure it was just in his head, although to be honest it's getting very difficult to tell the difference. Like when Tigh shot Adama in the eye, I thought that was totally real until it turned around and showed him alive.

So basically three out of the four are going nuts. Only Anders is holding it together. And I'm pretty sure Starbuck is going to fuck him up plenty in the near future.

Looks like we're also going to see a Colonial religious war to mirror the cylon civil war. Fun times ahead!

I found the I was confused by the bit where Adama basically said that he knew Tyrol was a cylon. Was that just in the Chief's head?

Adama is drinking his whiskey when he says that, and then suddenly receives the whisky from the bartender again and says something completely different. It's in Tyrol's head.

My only complaint was that I'm becoming more and more annoyed at the way Rosalyn is behaving, with her speeches of self-righteousness and self-worth

Seems to be in-line with how the personalities of the four known cylons are developing (maybe Anders less so, but maybe not--kinky sex might bring out the cylon "senses" out of him as it did for what's-her-name). Just sayin'.

And no, I don't think she is.

Maybe.

I think her little speech to Baltar explains her position - that because she is dying she is less inclined to bugger about being nice and just to people. She is desperate to complete her mission to save mankind before she dies, even if she has to piss off a lot of people to do it.

I had a sudden thought while watching the episode. What if the prophecy about a dying leader taking the peoples to Earth is not about Roselyn after all. What if it turns out to be Baltar?

The scene on the Demetrius coincides with the Baltar saying "before you can truly know that person, know the truth about them". It kind of reflects the truth about Anders, which we know, and the truth about Starbuck, which we don't.