Sign in to follow this  
Marek

Battlestar Galactica Final Season Thread

2177726792_7b0e59cfbd_b.jpg

Season 4 of BSG is almost upon us, so I thought I'd make a fresh thread.

I admittedly got a bit tired of BSG during the middle part of season 3, especially as all the mythology and cylon lore kept expanding and getting more confusing, not to mention some of those annoying mediocre stand-alone episodes. On the other hand, I thought the New Caprica episodes were some of the best TV I've ever seen, and the final four episodes of the season were also stellar. The Lee Adama speech was totally unbelievable and kind of single-handedly restored my interest in BSG completely. I'm super excited.

My expectations for season 4 are perhaps a bit too high as I fondly remember how DS9 wrapped up in the end with an epic 12-part series, which Ron Moore was a big part of. Hopefully they'll look at what Lost did though and make them find Earth sometime during the season and not just in the final episode, which would be super disappointing. But I guess we won't know until 2009.

Anyway, the season premiere is airing tonight! Hooray!

Edit: this thread is now declared a spoiler-tag free zone. Only read this thread if you are watching or have watched season 4 of Battlestar Galactica. Visible spoilers appear starting on page 4.

BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :

I looks after my BSG's

Oh this is excellent. After having seen the pilot a few years back, I finally have time (and the download) to watch all three seasons. I'm starting at the beginning of next week. I can't wait! I'll have caught up in no time and then I can join in the anticipation and exaltation of the finale! :tup:

So, uh, did anybody watch the premier?

I have to say: most of the time, cliffhanger endings are really lazy. It's a cheap hook to get the viewer to watch the next episode, a cheap hook to get people talking and a cheap way to build tension (you have a full hour to do that people, not the last minute).

That said, out of two thumbs I give the first episode a :tup::tmeh: Hopefully it can keep my interest more than season three because I think I missed a third of its episodes, and yet feel like I didn't miss anything (including Starbuck's death).

Ahhghghghgh I need a source for this.

However I did get a pleasant surprise in today's Times:

No, people don't get hurt in Galactica. The President's cancer got handily cured by a Deus ex Machina, Adama is just fine, bullet in the chest or no, Starbuck got reincarnated, etc. The only actually mortal people in Galactica are people of no consequence. This is perhaps the biggest gripe I have with the series. They make hard decisions like giving the President cancer, but don't have the nerve to bring that to a conclusion.

Well maybe, but you have to admit there is more peril than in Dr Who. And there's been at least a couple of moments when I thought that, for instance, Roselyn was going to die. I doubt everyone is going to survuve this final season either.

Saw the episode. Oooh it feels good to be back. I wouldn't be surprised if there are lots of cliffhangers this series, as it feels like it's going to be one big arc rather than neatly divided episodes.

It's been since the second season since I had watched the show and I was a bit surprised by the amount of religious or supernatural/mythical plot points there seem to be ... I nearly watched the whole first season but only caught some episodes of the second one; when did this happen ?

Erm there was a bit of it in the second series, and then the third season went a bit mental.

Gaius Baltar: "Riiiiiiight" :tup:

Man that made me laugh

Just watched it today and throughly enjoyed it.

In response to brkl, I think

killing Billy was a pretty ballsy move, as was both the revelation of the 4 cylons and the entire Sharon-gaining-the-trust-of-the-crew arc (despite it's positive conclusion). I agree that some people appear simply immortal, but you've got to suspend some disbelief when watching any drama and have faith that it's all for a good reason. For example, bringing back Starbuck wasn't an easy solution to her death. In fact, I think her return was more shocking than her apparent death, and opened up new conflicts that wouldn't have been possible otherwise.

Yes, I also liked the crews reaction to Starbuck's return. It was the best and most realistic of several possible methods of bringing her back. Plus, as often happens on the show, it has created a lot more questions than answers.

I have no fucking clue. Even though it's obvious, "she's a cylon" is the only explanation that holds up right now. However, given the increasing references to The Ship of Lights from old BSG, it might be the work of a mysterious third faction. Probably the faction that calls itself "God".

Well, she said in an interview that she's been assured she's not a cylon, but that 'God' explanation would be pretty amazing (since it ties together the Cylon mythology of the entire series), and preferable to some other last-minute introduction of another storyline that feels like a cheep fix.

I thought the teaser was extremely good (as is usually the case with BSG). I absolutely loved Tigh's nightmare vision. It was unexpected and terrifying and for a split second I thought it was real. The moment between Anders and the cylon raider was great.

But then it kind of went into "meh" territory for me personally. I didn't think Starbuck's return was played out very believably. Here's someone who's gone for 2 months, who they all griefed over, and... I dunno, the reactions didn't seem right. I also didn't particularly like Gaius' cult. It seems a little hoakey and over-the-top in the same way that the black market was back in season 2.

The episode pretty much played out all the expected plot points. It did everything it had to do after the situation the finale had set up.

So yeah, I liked the episode but didn't love it. Hope next week will be better!

Well guys & galzzz, I started watched BSG. The pilot is done, now onto the rest of the show. I'll be with you in a couple of months :tup:

I also didn't particularly like Gaius' cult.

jawdrop.jpg

I've a suspicion you may be bitterly disappointed with this final season then, Marek. ;(

After the irrelevance of (most of) season 3, the season 4 opener has immediately gotten me hooked. It's also piqued Mrs V's interest once more, after she wandered away from the series some time ago.

The Gaius cult was almost totally comic relief to me. It was all hilarious. But I suspect that it is also through them that we will finally find out what the "God" thing is all about.

I liked the reactions to Starbuck's return, especially Tyrol's stunned reply. The Chief is fast becoming my favourite character.

One thing I would say is that a lot of the character's have undergone a bit of a personality shift since the end of season 3, even though no time is meant to have passed. For the four newly discovered cylone that makes sense, but Roselyn is suddenly a heartless bitch, Adama has reverted back to ineffectual bystander, Lee has lost his edge and Starbuck has gone certifiably psycho plot tool.

Oh well, more tonight. A few answers and lots more questions I'll warrant :tup:

The Gaius cult was almost totally comic relief to me. It was all hilarious.

So that was intentional? I don't see any point in putting humor in in BSG.

I think they felt they needed to find some way show Gaius' growing belief in God. Almost all people hate him so he can't interact with them, and his testing of God/faith has always relied on interaction with others. I think they could have found a better way to start the cult, like throwing him into the slums where people are most desperate and have him do some good/ miracles resulting in a cult forming around him. The way they the cult followers had decided to idolise him for no apparent reason (as well as throw themselves at him) was a bit meh. That being said Gaius has always required people to have faith in him to believe in himself and has always had a weakness for woman, I assume they were short on time in his arc so couldn't spend too long on the foundations of the creation of the cult and decided to dump him right into it.

There's nothing to suggest the cult isn't a plant by the Cylons, to help maintain Gaius' momentum within the human community in some way.

And sustain his incredible ego.

So that was intentional? I don't see any point in putting humor in in BSG.

Baltar has always been the Fool in the BSG tarot.

..said the Joker to the Thief...

I actually like the whole cult-of-Gaius thing (at least for now: I can see it getting old quickly). I really do believe that Gaius will be one of the heroes of the show. He's been beaten down so much during the rest of the series that I feel empathy for him more than anything else. He certainly adds comic relief to the show, but he's an inherently tragic character, and I'm rooting for him.

I'm glad Adama made the decision at the end of the opener that he did (with regards to Starbuck). I'm glad they were able to reconcile in some way and no one made any hasty decisions they would regret later.