Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Shaun of the Dead finally crossing the Atlantic

According to the always-suspect-but-I-read-it-anyway Aint it cool news, Shaun of the Dead has an American release date of September 17th, and will also be showing on Thursday July 22 at the San Diego Comic Con.

Why is this interesting to you? Because Spaced was an extremely excellent series, and because... look at this site... watch the trailers.

When is it finally coming accross the fucking Canal???

That's good news though. I've been anticipating Shaun of the Dead like a slobbering dog.

Praise Be! I've been waiting for this.

Man, this is just another reason for me to be head-explodingly excited for Comic-Con.

Hi fellow Idle Thumbs staffers! Does anyone else read the forums? :gaming:

I do?

And aparently that canal is about as wide as the atlantic ocean, damn you UIP for bringing this to the states before the european mainland.

Marek, about your idea of towing california to europa and dumping it between brittain & the netherlands: I propose we reform the proto contionent, you know all the landmass together again. A comeback/reunion type of thing.

Might as well point out that the US trailer for Shaun is now online:

quicktime high res

win media high res

quicktime crap res

win media crap res

Its kind of like the UK trailer in fact, but its got the American trailer guy, and gives away more of the jokes. ¬ Probably more convincing though to the American audience which generally has no idea what the movie's about and hasnt had Spaff harass them into seeing Spaced beforehand.

It came out in Britain a while ago and was pretty much universally loved, it's a lot of fun. I've only seen a few episodes of Spaced (it's great but I got into it late haven't caught any repeats) but it seems that if you like that, then Shaun Of The Dead is definitely your kind of thing. Whilst I'm not wanting to over-hype it too much, it is super-funny stuff.

You know what really sucks? I have in a notebook somewhere a non-zombie zombie movie script I have begun to write. I have the basic story and I have written like three dialogues and that is that...

Crap. Is there no way in hell to write something truly original out there?

According to the director of Shaun of the Dead (at its U.S. premiere which I attended), all great zombie movies are non-zombie zombie movies. In a good example of the genre, the true drive of the film comes from the interaction between the characters, and the zombies are simply a looming threat rather than the focus of the action. This is certainly true of Romero's Dawn of the Dead, which as far as I can tell is considered the hallmark of the zombie genre.

Crap. Is there no way in hell to write something truly original out there?

Then again, I ought to be truthful: the story in its inception was heavily inspired by Gogol's Overcoat and then drifted away... and got heavily inspired by Bely's Petersburg... :shifty:

Yeah, i loved the film.

Helps if you've seen the series 'Spaced' though as there's quite a few references an all.

:shroom:

Would be nice if a US network (eg comedy central) would pick up spaced and run through seasons 1 and 2 over the course of a regular TV season. If Shaun is at all a hit here I suspect it will happen. I think Bravo has the rights and ran it through once over a weekend sometime but I can't imagine them playing it again without a decent bit of incentive.