miffy495

No More Heroes

I mentioned in the revived backlog thread that my motivation for the recent finishing of so many games at once from my collection was that I wanted to buy No More Heroes but couldn't justify it given the size of the backlog. Now that the backlog beast has been beaten back, I'm actually in a position where I'd be fine buying the game. Problem is, I now need to wait until Friday's paycheque to actually have the disposable cash for it. With that in mind, it couldn't hurt to get myself pumped a bit. I've seen it in a few people's now playing signature things but we still don't have a thread for it. So let's hear some opinions!

As a huge fan of Killer 7 will I be just as enthralled with this effort from Suda 51? What's good, what's bad, what's funny, what is the bloody game like? All I've gotten from reviews is: "It's stylish" and "it's fun" but no one really wants to go into the details of exactly why it's these things. Given the track record around here, I trust the thumb community to be far more balanced and specific in their praise.

It's a flawed, but very fun game. The combat is fun and satisfying. I can see how it could become a little old and repetitive, but it easily kept me entertained throughout. This is probably partly because the game isn't needlessly long winded (it took me around 15 hours to complete), and they often change things up. Besides that, the game is worth getting for its style and cutscenes alone. They're fantastic.

On the downside, the "free-roaming" city is boring and poorly utilized. The "jobs" you have to do to make money are poorly implemented and primarily a huge, occasionally frustrating, waste of time. Worst of all, the interaction with your cat is fricking lame. I was really looking forward to being able to play with the cat with the Wiimote, but it turns out all you it lets you do is push the A button to advance it through a series of fixed animations. :(

Everyone complains about navigating the city, but I didn't mind it, honestly.

The story and thematic elements are disappointingly downplayed when compared to Killer7. This is much more along the lines of mindless action with the occasional catch-phrase-filled cutscene. No more long-winded speeches about god and death and purpose. Instead, the game is a celebration of video game conventions - pixelated graphics, blatant "level up" sound effects and arcade-style scoreboards are all very prominent. Gameplay features like scattered health packs, endless hordes of the same enemy, static environments and one-button combat stand out in stark contrast to modern attempts at realistic, interactive worlds with complex systems. Even the dreaded overworld can be seen in this light - a boiled-down blatantly "gamey" version of GTA's cities that in no way tries to hide the fact that it is just a glorified level-select screen. It's still very Suda, but it feels like he's sold out in some small way, and also making a comment about selling out at the same time.

That being said, the game is more fun to play than Killer7. Swinging the Wii remote around wildly has never been so exhilarating and rewarding, especially as you learn how to do supplexes and such. It's not the deepest combat in the world, but it is extremely satisfying. The ridiculous amounts of blood pouring onscreen (in the U.S. version) is so...well, it's very fun.

Fucking shit. I was getting really excited about this game, but there's no way in Hell I'm paying for a bloodless version.

Bloodless? I thought that was only in Japan? Boo to that. I've been playing sporadically whenever I get the chance, (just past the 4th boss) which is unfortunately not often as it's exam season right now. Still, very fun game. I think I like Killer 7 a bit more, but that's probably because there was more focus on narrative in K7. Without the blood though, I could see a lot of the charm being sucked out of the game. How comprehensive is Wii region locking? Full-on, or like the 360 where it only applies to a few games here and there?

With one day to go until release, all the online retailers started listing March 15 instead of February 28. Is this just Sweden or for the whole of Europe? I'm getting sick of waiting for this to arrive :shifty:

Bloodless? I thought that was only in Japan? Boo to that. I've been playing sporadically whenever I get the chance, (just past the 4th boss) which is unfortunately not often as it's exam season right now. Still, very fun game. I think I like Killer 7 a bit more, but that's probably because there was more focus on narrative in K7. Without the blood though, I could see a lot of the charm being sucked out of the game. How comprehensive is Wii region locking? Full-on, or like the 360 where it only applies to a few games here and there?

The US got an edited version with blood, as every other version just has black ash instead. The Wii is fully region locked though, so even if I wanted to play with blood there's no easy way to do it right now. Hopefully someone comes out with a boot loader or something that doesn't require soldering, since Nintendo Europe sucks so hard it's unbelievable.

So it took me long enough, but I'm almost finished this game! Woo-hoo! I've decided that I like it, even if I don't like it quite as much as Killer7. It's mighty awesome, though.

The gameplay is slightly deeper than I originally thought, as well. Specifically, there's a bit of variety in learning wrestling moves and applying them. (You can do different moves depending on where you stand in relation to the enemy.) And combat gets harder, also. Eventually the one-button slam stops working and you have to think a bit about whether to try for a wrestling move or not.

More thoughts when I finish.

Guest lovefcs09

3.3 Problems involved in sentences Most students in China may write wordy sentences. They usually use the method of one-word-for-one-word translations. Their sentences contain many unnecessary words. Like the followingselected from students:(1) It was blue in color.It was small in size.dofus kamasVicky is a quiet and careful girl.He returned in the early part of the month of August.(2) The old engineer in collaboration with some or her younger colleagues jage of Conan gold[/url]ointly designed this machine.dofus kamasThe above sentences could be called Chinese-English that refers to speech or writing in English that shows the interference or influence of Chinese thinking patterns. Some sentences may be word for word translations of Chinese expressions. Chinese English may be grammatically correct, but the choice of phrases and the manner of expression do not conform to normal English usage, though understanding may not be a problem, it is absurd to English people. If the idea is fully expressed, the fewer words are used, the better. Wordiness only obscures, instead of clarifying the idea. The sentence “it was blue in color” in which the phrase “in color” is unnecessary, as we know blue is a kind of color. The word “jointly” is equivalent to the phrase “in collaboration with”. Therefore, the sentences can be corrected in this way:(1) It was blue. It was small. Vicky is quiet and careful. He returned in early August.(2) This machine was designed by the old engineer in collaboration with some of his younger colleagues or revised this machine was jointly designed by the old engineer and some of his younger colleagues.wow gold3.4 Problems involved in paragraphs Illogical or reversing of the topic sentence or no topic sentence always can be seen in the students’ writing. Take a look at the following paragraph selected from English writing for TEM-4:They never get up before 9 o’clock to have their breakfast. In the morning, most of themwill stay in the washroom to wash their clothes. After lunch, if weather permits, they go for an outing with their classmates; or they spend a whole afternoon in the library, reviewing lessons or reading recent periodicals. They all get together in the dormitory in the evening, singing and chattering until they feel tired. University students always have a good relaxation on SundaysHaving a glance at the above paragraph, you would say it has no errors, but closer check it, you will find something goes wrong. The above paragraph is a typical Chinese writing, because they often put the topic sentence at the beginning of the paragraph in English writing. Therefore, we should put the last sentence Final Fantasy XI Gildofus kamasat the beginning of the paragraph which makes it much more conform to the English writing form.

Guest Spetertoi

He is a good friend that speaks well of us behind our backs.    / \./ \/\_   I Hand You  __{^\_ _}_  ) }/^\    A Rose... / /\_/^\._}_/ // / ( (__{(@)}\__}.//_/__A___A__wow gold____A__wow gold_A______A____ \__/{/(_)\_} )\\ \\---v----V-----V--Y----v---Y-----  (  (__)_)_/ )\ \>     \__/   \__/\/\/

So what happens when the spambots starts talking to each other? Do the destroy each other or something?

Thank you for the rose! I love it.

So what happens when the spambots starts talking to each other? Do the destroy each other or something?

I doubt it would result in anything nearly as interesting as in this article (which was posted here some time ago).

Phew! I finally beat it. I don't have much to say except...that was awesome! There's more depth to the combat than I thought, and even buying costumes is kinda cool.

And the ending is pretty hilarious. I love Suda51.

I'm considering putting one of those chips into a Wii to play the "proper" version of this game. Great idea or no?

My god, the padding. The shameless shameless padding. Even Super Paper Mario didn't make the entire game out of padding. :(

I can see that it could conceivably be a satire of crap games, but that doesn't save it from being bad for the same reasons. Is it really necessary to grind through boring jobs and mindless button mashing fights between every battle? Is it really necessary to have long, bland corridors, with enemies placed only to make sure you know which way you actually need to go when the camera spins you around? Is it necessary to give the bosses so much hitpoints they become an exercise in mindnumbingly reading the same few patterns over and over again? Having a terribly written unskippable monologue delivered through the wiimote speakers before each boss fight? Bah! It feels less like a throwback for gamers than a big middle finger towards them.

I guess I'd accept it if the story was anywhere near as cool as Killer 7, but it just fell completely flat for me. It kept me playing until the end to see if it would redeem itself, but it never really did, though from what I've seen others liked the story. :erm: