Sign in to follow this  
Alex

Review: My Good Fortune

Fantastic!

edit: Now that I've read it, I've become more certain I'll have to get myself a PS3 at one point. When I first saw shots and previews of this game, I thought "hey, this looks awesome". Then I seem to remember getting more and more an impression of this being a mediocre, repetitive 3rd person shooter or something, and lost interest.

Then... then... the last weeks I've been reading about how great the storytelling of this game is. How great the animation, story, acting and the little details that were mentioned here are. This is starting to sound like my kind of game.

Well, after the other thread got derailed, I have to say, a review is probably the best replacement I could possibly hope for. Well put on all accounts. I'm only about 3 hours in myself, but I'm in complete agreement. Hadn't noticed the similarity between Nathan Drake and Mal Reynolds before you pointed it out, but damn are they ever close.

Oh yeah, obligatory "YAY!" for new content.

Well, technically only in the sense that the orchestral music was composed by the same guy. The similarities between the main characters are simply that. Similarities. Nathan Drake has pretty much aped every mannerism Mal has, but he does it so well it's hard to find any fault with the character even when you're aware of it.

I'd heard this was a competent Tomb Raider-ish game and wasn't that bothered, but with a character like Mal Reynolds it seems a lot more compelling.

Ok, don't get me wrong here. I really do love this game, but still. I need to vent on this one. I love the atmosphere, I love the puzzles, I love the platforming. The combat is solid, but really I've never been that big on combat. I'm all about the adventure aspects. I like my combat fairly compelling, but not the focus of the experience. Drake's Fortune has more combat than I'd usually want in a game of it's type, but I love everything else to death so I'll tolerate it.

That said, why is it that when I use all of Drake's mental acuity to discover an ancient buried city of tombs under a giant library building and cutscenes are showing that the enemy still doesn't have any idea where I am or even that I'm anywhere near their position, there are still guys in commando suits waiting there to shoot me in the fucking face? I got there and thought "Oh good. Giant caverns and precarious ledges. This is exactly what I wanted out of this game. Probably only a couple of cursory bad guys, too. This chapter is going to beat everything else I've seen up to this point." And then I get a bullet placed very carefully up my left nostril by some dude with a laser sight. How the hell did they find me down there? More importantly, if they've found me why haven't they told their commanders? It's not like it's hard to yell "CAVERNS!" into a two-way radio. Sigh.

Still an awesome chapter, by the way. Just wish there wasn't so much combat.

Oh, and as a final note, nobody ever seems to mention this in the reviews, but the sections where you ride on a jetski (I've played three so far, and am a little less than three quarters of the way through the game) are very poor compared to the rest of the game. It's handled competently, but compared to the crazy quality of everything else it only serves to make you heave out a heavy sigh and say "Oh boy, only 10 minutes until the game gets good again." Why does every game on the planet have to have some crappy vehicle section now?

Why does every game on the planet have to have some crappy vehicle section now?

Yeah the jetski sections are not as good relatively; but the vehicle section with you on the gun in back is amazing! So vehicle sections are not all inherently crappy.

I agree there's just a bit too much combat in the game, but saying that I found the combat to be quite polished so even though it occassionally felt out of place it rarely felt like a chore.

Hey, I wasn't knocking the rail shooter sections. Action games have had that for much longer than they've had mandatory vehicle sections. I've always liked the rail shooter parts. I made sure to keep a separate save at the start of that chapter just so I can go back and replay it. I only really count a vehicle section as such if you're at the controls of the vehicle.

Ok, game beaten. The boss battle was surprisingly cool. Far more gritty and visceral than I'm used to from games like this. Regarding the last three chapters of the game:

WHAT THE FUCK??? ZOMBIES? Goddamn it, I expected better from this game. That was completely unnecessary and only served to pull me out of the whole thing. I can't believe I suspended my disbelief for that. Shit.

On the other hand, chapters 19, 20, and 21 being really stupid doesn't take away from the fact that chapters 1-18 and 22 were all incredible and a huge amount of fun to play. Just be warned, those interested in Uncharted. The game is, overall, very fun. The combat happens a bit more than I'd hoped but it's done well so it doesn't matter too much. The final 7th-ish of the game is a bit of a let down, and the plot goes all screwy, but it's saved by a really well designed final boss fight.

Oh well, on to Ratchet and Clank...

WHAT THE FUCK??? ZOMBIES? Goddamn it, I expected better from this game. That was completely unnecessary and only served to pull me out of the whole thing. I can't believe I suspended my disbelief for that. Shit.

I completely appreciate how you found it annoying, but I would say this:

is it really anymore ridiculous than opening an Ark (of the Covenant), which releases crazy ghoul bitches that make Nazi soldeirs a bit itchy and possess a man so that he shoots fire from his eyes and makes his head melt and explode? Or Thuggee cultists who drink Kali-ma's blood and become zombiefied slaves?

My point is that like Indiana Jones:

there's often a certain element of the supernatural to these types of adventures.

I think it was done in that tradition as Alex pointed out in his review.

Jesus Christ, I'm playing this game right now and I find it completely awesome - actually, it's the first console shooter whose control I find comfortable and fitting ... and I've come to this thread to see my enthusiasm being pumped up tenfold by what I remember to be a very good piece by Alex.

And then , it had vanished; vanished in such a dire way that even the Wayback Machine can't seem to be able to bring it back.

So, :(

What's up with all the written stuff having vanished, not only from the main page, but from the public server? Are you guys playing "Let's see how long we can pretend there was nothing before the podcasts and the Idle Memes era" ?

Thanks! I'm bookmarking this, and I'm taking my diva-esque indignation off.

As a side note, I've just stopped playing the game because I'm sweaty and shaky from being sent down the dark corridors of an ancient nazi sanatorium where - would you know it ? - terrible monsters dwell. Monsters that can kill you with one clench paw.

I hate scary things, I don't like them in real life and I don't like them in my games; that's even more true when the game is a shooter and my uncontrolled trembling makes my aim even more shitty that it usually is.

And I loath games that are in no way scary until the game designer suddenly chuckles and plays the horror card out of the blue.

I think I'll ask a friend to go through this level for me.

I know : I'm a baby.

Edited by vimes

That level killed my disbelief. I believe if you look a few posts up in this thread, you'll actually see me bitching about it. Still an amazing game though, and one of my favorites of the generation.

As mentioned here: http://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/showpost.php?p=122466&postcount=68

I just finished this in prep for uncharted 2.

I'm a big wuss as well and had the same I-hate-scary-stuff sensation with the monster things. Almost gave up and quit, but I soldiered through it. It's not difficult once you figure out that against those things, aiming is for suckers. I just kept running away from them while blindfiring and managed to muddle my way through it.

I'll ditto Ben upthread: that rail shooter section from the back of the jeep was awesome. I wish there had been more of that.

Done and all I can articulate is a lengthy sigh of content, the kind that follows a very awesome meal featuring the perfect successions of courses, all of them made with the proper ingredients, cooked the way they are meant to be, in quantities just right and condiment-ed the way I like it.

'Aaaaaaahhhhhhh...'