Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Gears of War for Windows

Could someone remind me why this game is awesome? Is it the graphics or what?

because the game has "gears" in it's name
Yeah, but seriously. Was it just the graphics, which I guess are pretty good, that made this such a huge seller, or does the gameplay actually get interesting later on? Are there huge, awesome bosses or something. So far it seems like an extremely bland shooter, with some cool, but sometimes frustrating, cover system. And some fucking burly men.

I think it was the cover system. Wasn't it the first shooter to use that stick-to-cover mechanism thats becoming so popular now? I personally preferred R6: Vegas (partially because it was for PC) but I think it was just supposed to be a shooter designed to be extremely responsive and smooth (especially because console shooters are especially hard to design).

It was the little touches that made it such a vast leap forward for the shootergenre. The duck and cover mechanic, the roadie run, the timed reloading and other tiny improvements that together became big.

But most of all, the best aspect of Gears of War is its extremely intense multiplayer. I'll agree that the singleplayer never really captured me, but multiplayer is good for hours and hours of chainsawing fun. But perhaps the game is already aging rather poorly, I can't judge that at this point.

Yeah, now that you mention it, maybe it felt a bit smoother than I'd expect from a typical console shooter, which, to me, means Halo. Especially the whole tunnel-vision running feeling was kind of neat and smooth-feeling.

I just felt that the combat was, I dunno, unexciting. These guys appear out of holes, and I cover them with my huge reticule, firing until they're dead. I never get to see them up close, I don't even know what they look like. It doesn't have the same up-closeness to the combat that for example the Half-Lives provide.

I'm kind of disappointed, but at the same time I think I was expecting a bit too much. I'll probably play it some more tomorrow and see if it picks up.

Typically but not universally; I can't think of a more simplistic, knuckle-dragger of a game that's had this much unwarranted praise heaped upon it.

Sure, it's pretty -- well done, developers. But in terms of gameplay, I expect something a bit more substantial than holding a tin foil-wrapped WWF figure in front of my TV and making "pew-pew!" noises. :shifty:

And, when put like that, I find some solace in imagining what the concept meeting at Epic (Mega)Games was like...

I don't quite think you're giving it the credit it deserves. Playing Uncharted tonight I found myself wishing to god they'd decided to put a roadie run in while they were busy aping all the rest of the combat from Gears. Both are great games, of course, but something about not being able to barrel headlong from one piece of cover to another while I'm advancing on the enemy just feels weird now.

But in terms of gameplay, I expect something a bit more substantial than holding a tin foil-wrapped WWF figure in front of my TV and making "pew-pew!" noises. :shifty:

And, when put like that, I find some solace in imagining what the concept meeting at Epic (Mega)Games was like...

That's harsh, but well written :)

I enjoyed Gears of War - possibly because I played coop with a very big guy who is absolutely terrified of the larger enemies in it, and as a result jumps up and down screaming like a little girl whenever things go a bit pear shaped.

Even when I wasn't playing with the added entertainment value of a big wuss, coop was an okay experience. As my boss puts it, GoW is largely a very pretty version of space invaders, but it is fun.

From what I understand they nailed the combat. My only complaint was that it all looked the same... :getmecoat

I've been spoiled by beautiful PC shooters.

Storyline: Baffling/non-existent

Characters: Retarded (at best)

Gameplay: :tup:

Yeah, but the gameplay wore really thin after a few levels and they never changed it up, even slightly. The last boss was terrible too. Decent game overall though, despite what it sounds like from reading all these complaints.

I'd give it a 8.5/10, what could've of been a average shooter in the light of Halo is surprising fun, because of the "Extremely Awsome" moments it has in the game, which since Resident Evil 4 have been a common trait in most video games these days.

I don't get the innovation of duck/Cover system, kill.switch did it on the PS2 a couple of years ago.

I don't get the innovation of duck/Cover system, kill.switch did it on the PS2 a couple of years ago.

Except kill.switch was shit; Gears of War is considerably more polished and has a much better control mechanic.

I still don't like the game though.

Yeah, Gears is far from the first game to have a cover mechanic. It may be the first to do it as well, and possibly the first to make it the core mechanic.

The cover mechanic works well for a console shooter, since it slows the pace down and you can take a bit more time wrestling crosshairs on-target without fear of being shot. Running, dodging and shooting at the same time, easy on the PC, has always been trickier on joypads.

Besides that I think it's success is just down to lots of polish (you can see the polish, it makes everything shiny!).

It's the first shooter on a console I've actually enjoyed playing, as prior to that, PC was the only way forward for things of that ilk. COD4 is the second.

Well, as the sequel was officially announced today, I remembered that I'd never actually finished Gears. I'd gotten to the final boss and then stopped playing because I'd left the all-important sniper rifle behind a while ago and didn't realize I'd need it. I figure "hell, I may as well get caught up," and load the game up. I didn't want to beat it right away though, as the playthrough that got me to the boss was abandoned in January 2007 and I figured I'd be pretty damn rusty and should just start over. This was at around 7 pm. At about 1 am I realize that I really need to use the bathroom. Yeah, there are a lot of negatives that can be leveled at Gears, but any game that can suck me in like that has to be doing something right. I'm actually kinda pumped for the sequel now. Only a chapter left to go before I'm at the endgame again. Then I get to hear that horrible credits rap for myself, and see whatever cutscene they happen to throw in after you beat the head locust guy.

The end boss was a particularly low point in Gears for me and the epitome of why I think this game is lazy and cheap in its design. After repeatedly throwing myself against the rocks for about an hour I gave up in disgust.

Couldn't be more indifferent to the announcement of the sequel; and I bet you it's just a technology tweak and some different levels. November 2008 indeed. :(

Yes, we get it WV: You don't like Gears of War! :mock:

Miffy: The end guy is a complete pain in the arse, and I seriously doubt anyone could figure out how you're supposed to kill him without looking it up online. I'll give you a quick hint though; he can't be hit when he's "protected".

The end guy is a complete pain in the arse, and I seriously doubt anyone could figure out how you're supposed to kill him without looking it up online.

Case rests, m'lud.

So I'm the only one who thought the last boss was a little too easy then?

If, before entering the main arena, you go into a small area opposite the entry to the boss there is enough ammo and different weapons to help you take out the boss.

Also if you are struggling, it is very easy to get him stuck in the scenary to the left hand side of the train carriage and then keep pelting him with everything you've got when he is vulnerable.

I very much enjoyed Gears of War but then I don't play any games on PC so I have no point of reference I suppose.

Besides that I think it's success is just down to lots of polish (you can see the polish, it makes everything shiny!).

Totally off-topic:

You know you have been reading too much about Early Modern Europe when you read this sentence and you immediately think of the Hussars of the Rzeczpospolita...